Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

Somali pirates -- possibly the closest thing we have to a navy

So there are numerous recent stories of somali pirates hijacking and looting ships off the somali coast, the lastest i read earlier is the release of four Taiwanese fishing boats..

Now the likelyhood is that these boats are illegally fishing off the coast and environmentalists report the whole sale destruction of coral through barbaric the methods modern fishing techniques.

So given the state of afairs, there is a valid argument i beleive to support these pirates since fear of them is probably the only thing keeping fishing trawlers from completely destroying the coastal waters and life they support. In fat they are the closest thing we have to a navy. That does not mean they acting alturistically to protect the waters, but at least in seaking their own interests they are proving a severly lacking and needed service.

So is it time to say 'support your local pirates' to keep the remaining fish on our coast.

what do you guys and gals think?

Yeniceri   

Are you referring to the same pirates who held hostage U.N. aid ships full of food destined for poor and dying Somalis?

These pirates are looking out for their own selfish interests and could care less for the environmental hazards being caused by commericial ships, who continue to dump toxic waste on Somalia's shores. Plus, some of these pirates have working connections with Somalia's various warlords - so why would I believe they're upto any good? (i.e. Isn't it strange that piracy in Somali waters spiked in 2005 and then a $50 million contract was signed between the TFG and an American security firm?)

We'll regret the destruction of our shores one day. But I simply don't see sea pirates as a "navy" for Somalia - they're terrorists, on the same level as the warlords and the foreign fishing vessels.

Dude though the UN hijacking is regretable, if m,y memory serves me correctly the TXG signed the $50 'i dont quite understand where its gonna get it from' million deal was a direct result of UN ship being hijacked, not the pther way round.

Further the reason there is no one there 'protecting' may have something to do with there being no money to pay for it with.

that aside, isnt a navy the acting on the self interest of a givernment and isnt this quite often ummm murky my friend? -- i think possibly the one way to think of them is as entrepreneurial navy

RedSea   

Assalamu Calaykum,

Ahh? What did you say? I swear to God, I have no idea what you just refer to.

With all due respect, I have to say I didn't understand a single sentence that you have written. Therefore, I have nothing to really respond to here at all.

Assalamu Calaykum.

At least they’re keeping illegal ships from our coastline – we don’t want anymore hazardous dumping – we don’t want to have many more babies with being born with deficiencies.

Dhimbil   

Originally posted by Yeniceri:

and then a $50 million contract was signed between the TFG and an American security firm?)

^I thought that contract was dissolved, is it still on?