Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Lets Map Somalia....

I have been thinking alot about what Somalia's regional divides are like. I would like to know where every clan happens to be living and who claims which region. It would be great if any of you who well conversant to take part in this exercise as it would show who is who and where interms of region and land. The reason for this is bse one I have no clue who lives where and who claims what. We already have more than 296 memebers of parliament. So would this mass of MPs be representing us all and where would you put them on the map. So please for those of you who know please try and share what you know if not draw and mark the map according to regional claim and ofcouse stick on the representatives.

After the above exercise we can see who does what and where. The power they wield interms of support too.

Please no fanfaan nor durbaan tuumis just bare facts.

somalia.jpg

I cant help u there shaqsi, but it would be a brilliant idea if that map was interactive and we could curve out our own regions and post. I want that northern most tip. No1 else can claim it now. :D

Thanks for your responses especially the above brother who has managed to find agrid for the different regions and the people thought to live in those areas. I believe the above grid was structured by a foreigner. It would also be great if people who have vastly travelled throughout the country to come up with information whatever it is. If possible name the different MPs in exile chosen to represent these regions.

Som@li   

Well done Muad,

i think this will benefit many including me, to know more abt the country,and see how the 4.5 formula is divided,lol.

For those who can read somali,these may help.

wadankeenu wuxuu ka kooban yahay 18 gobol iyo degmooyin tiro badan waana kuwan

1-Awdal:- wuxuu ka kooban yahay afar degmo oo kala ah

baki

boorame ,oo caasimada gobolka ah

lug hayo

zaylac

2-Banaadir oo magaalo madaxda muqdisho

waxay ka kooban tahay sidaan anigu u hayo 15 degmo waana kuwan

cabdi casiis

boondheere

xamar jajab

xamar weyne

hawl wadaag

heliwaa ama huri waa

hodan

kaaraan

shangaani

shibis

waaberi

wada jir

wardhiigley

yaaqshiid

dharkeynley

3-gobolka Bari isaguna wuxuu ka kooban yahay 11 degmo

boosaaso oo caasimada ah

calawla

badarbeyla

rako

ufayn

waaciyaq

qandala

qardho

xaafuun

isku shuban

4- gobolka togdheer oo isaguna ka kooban afar degmo

burco waa caasimada

buuhoodle

shiikh

oodweyne

5- gobolka sool wuxuu isaguna ka kooban yahay afar degmo

laas caanood waa caasimada gobolka

caynabo

xudun

taleex

6-galguduud wuxuu isna ka kooban yahay sideed degmo.

dhuusa mareeb oo caasimada gobolka ah

cadaado

alad

balanbale

ceelbuur

ceeldheeren

caabud waaq

gel hareeri

7-gobolka hiiraan wuxuu isna ka kooban yahay shan

baladweyne waa caasimada gobolka

buula barde

jalalaqsi

masax

matabaan

8-gobolka gedo wuxuu isna ka kooban yahay lix degmo

garbahaarey oo caasimada gobolka ah

baardheere

beledxaawo

doolow

ceelwaaq

luuq

9-waqooyi galbeed wuxuu isaguna ka kooban yahay afar degmo

hargeysa oo caasimada gobolka ah

dacar budhuq

ber bera

gebilay

10-gobolka mudug isaguna wuxuu ka kooban yahay shan degmo

gaalkacayo oo caasimada gobolka ah

galdogob

xara dheere

hobiyo

jiriiban

11-shabeelada dhexe wuxuu ka kooban yahay todobo degmo

jawhar oo caasimada gobolka ah

balcad

mahadaay

cadale

aadan yabaal

warshiikh

run rugood

12-shabeelada hoose wuxuu ka kooban yahay todoba degmo

marka oo caasimada gobolka ah

afgooye

aw-dhiigle

baraawe

kuntiwaarey

qoryooley

sablaale

13-gobolka Bay wuxuu ka kooban yahay shan degmo

baydhabo waa caasimada gobolka

buurxakabo

diinsoor

qansaxdheere

bardaale

14-gobolka bakool wuxuu isna ka kooban yahay shan degmo

xudur waa caasimada gobolka

ceelbarde

rab dhure

tiyeglow

biyooley

15-jubada dhexe wuxuu ka kooban yahay afar degmo

bu'aale oo caasimada ah

dujuma

jilib

saakow

16-sanaag wuxuu ka kooban yahay afar degmo

ceerigaabo waa caasimada gobolka

ceel afweyn

laasqoray

badhan

17-jubada hoose wuxuu ka kooban yahay shan degmo

kismaanyo oo caasimada ah

afmadow

badhaadhe

xagar

jamaame

18- nugaal wuxuu ka kooban yahay afar degmo

garoowe waa caasimada gobolka

dangorayo

ayl

burtinle

Courtesy: Asad Cadaani Ibraahim Ixabaal

e-mail acadaani@yahoo.com

Coloow   

This is utter nonsense. There is no map that could objectively present the geographical location of somali tribes. A small geographical area in somalia is populated by a cocktail of tribes. The map shown above contains only a few "tribes".

You can't compare a tribe with a sub-tribe which is the case with the above map.

Show me an average somali town where there is a single "tribe".

The so called 4.5 formulae does not represent somali tribes. It is made of proxy tribes, historical BS, hear-says and does not consitute the reality.

Ciid wanaagsan

This is utter nonsense. There is no map that could objectively present the geographical location of somali tribes. A small geographical area in somalia is populated by a cocktail of tribes. The map shown above contains only a few "tribes".

You can't compare a tribe with a sub-tribe which is the case with the above map.

Show me an average somali town where there is a single "tribe".

The so called 4.5 formulae does not represent somali tribes. It is made of proxy tribes, historical BS, hear-says and does not consitute the reality.

Caaqil bro you just cant dismiss what people are trying to learn and call it BS. Im sorry but if you havent got anything to say then perhaps you shouldnt say anything. Some of us are trying to learn something here and yes there are clans that are the majority in each region and Im not talking subclans in this case. Ofcouse people have moved around agreat deal as most nomads do but then again there are claims to geographical regions as indicated by the MP's selected in each area. For your information right now the Somali parliament is based on Clans and should be seen as it is.

If you have an alternative to the above 4.5 then perhaps you can tell us what you think rather than come with such knee jerk and shallow response.

Oh by the way we only have one tribe and that is somali. However, we do have a cocktail of clans spread all over. tnx

This is alittle bit outdated but for discussion purposes and luck of alternatives, here is another map along the lines of languages spoken in the country.

Somalia.jpg

Spoken living languages ARABIC, STANDARD [ABV] Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic.

More information.

BONI [bOB] Few if any, in Somalia (1991). Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Rendille-Boni.

More information.

BOON [bNL] Jilib District, Middle Jubba Region, scattered in the bush and live in settlements of 2 or 3 houses with their closest relatives. Alternate names: AF-BOON. Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East. Nearly extinct.

More information.

DABARRE [DBR] 20,000 to 50,000 (1992). Spoken by the Dabarre clan around Dhiinsoor District, May Region, and the Iroole Clan in nearby Baraawe District, Lower Shabeelle Region, and in Qansax Dheere. Alternate names: AF-DABARRE. Dialects: DABARRE, IROOLE (AF-IROOLE). Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Somali.

More information.

ENGLISH [ENG] Classification: Indo-European, Germanic, West, English.

More information.

GARRE [GEX] 50,000 or more (1992). Possibly several hundred thousand in the ethnic group. Dominate areas of southern Somalia, especially in the Wanle Weyn-Buur Hakaba area; Baydhaba, Dhiinsoor, Buurhakaba, and Qoryooley districts; Middle and Lower Shabeelle and Bay regions. Alternate names: AF-GARRE. Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Somali.

More information.

JIIDDU [JII] 20,000 to 60,000 (1992). Lower Shabeelle Bay and Middle Jubba regions, Qoryooley, Dhiinsoor, Jilib, and Buurhakaba districts. Alternate names: JIDDU, AF-JIIDDU. Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Somali.

More information.

MAAY [QMA] 500,000 to 1,000,000 (1992). 700,000 to 1,500,000 including the Digil dialects or languages. Southern Somalia, Gedo Region, Middle and Lower Shabeelle, Middle and Lower Jubba, Baay, and Bakool regions. Alternate names: AF-MAAY TIRI, AF-MAAY, AF-MAY, AF-MAYMAY, RAHANWEEN, ********* . Dialects: AF-HELLEDI. Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Somali.

More information.

MUSHUNGULU [XMA] 20,000 to 50,000 (1992). Southern Somalia, Jamaame District of Lower Jubba Region, centered in Jamaame District, and some in urban areas in nearby Kismaayo and in Muqdisho. Alternate names: KIMUSHUNGULU, MUSHUNGULI. Classification: Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, G, Zigula-Zaramo (G.30).

More information.

OROMO, BORANA-ARSI-GUJI [GAX] Gedo Region. Alternate names: SOUTHERN OROMO. Dialects: BORANA (BOORAN, BORAN). Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Oromo.

More information.

SOMALI [sOM] 5,400,000 to 6,700,000 in Somalia (1991). Population total all countries 9,472,000 to 10,770,000. Alternate names: AF-SOOMAALI, AF-MAXAAD TIRI, COMMON SOMALI, STANDARD SOMALI. Dialects: NORTHERN SOMALI, BENAADIR, AF-ASHRAAF (ASHRAAF). Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Somali.

More information.

SWAHILI [sWA] 40,000 Baraawe in Somalia (1992). The Mwini live in Baraawe (Brava), Lower Shabeelle, and were scattered in cities and towns of southern Somalia. Most have fled to Kenya because of the civil war. The Bajun live in Kismaayo District and the neighboring coast. Dialects: MWINI (MWIINI, CHIMWIINI, AF-CHIMWIINI, BARWAANI, BRAVANESE), BAJUNI (KIBAJUNI, BAJUN, AF-BAJUUN, MBALAZI, CHIMBALAZI). Classification: Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, G, Swahili (G.40).

More information.

TUNNI [TQQ] 20,000 to 60,000 (1992). Lower Shabeelle and Middle Jubba regions, Dhiinsoor, Baraawe, and Jilib districts. Alternate names: AF-TUNNI. Classification: Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Somali.

More information.

Coloow   

QUANTUM LEAP,

There are thousands of us out there who have emancipated our minds in regards to primitive tribalism. Marka saaxib, the 4.5 formulae is not a valid one.

In addition sxb, at a time when somalis are begining to cure the cancer of tribalism, I find it weird that we introduce and to a certain extent promote this cancer by introducing a thread (on the intellectual discussion section!!)

My calling the map "utter nonsense" could be sourced to the above. In addition, the map details the geographical location of certain clans. The map could indeed be intepreted as a map of one somali tribe.

Look at the name under the words "southern" somalia"- or the one near Baidoa or somaliland. If the tribes of D/M, H****, Is**** could be divided in the same way as the other tribes have been detailed, there would be no place on the map to write.

I have been to somalia on several occassions the last few years, and you may like to know that there is hardly any town which is 100% domiciled by one particular tribe.

Anyway, my deep felt appology if you or anyone felt my objection was based on anything but the accuracy of the map.

Brother Caaqil forgive me for saying this but what is this cancer you are talking about? This discussion needs to be discussed or would you rather wrap it and put under your bed. The above topic is meant to enlighten people like me and many others who havent been back home. We need to know what is what and where. The aim of this dicussion is in no way aimed at polarising what you call the cancer but to understand our people, where they live, languages and culture we have. This is a smart debate rather than the usual tit for tat kinda chit chats we tend to adhered to around here. Not discussing issues regarding our heritage would be alose to say the least. We need embrace information that hasnt been provided by somalis themselves but from foreign resources. I also believe what we are discussing here are realities rather than make belief.

I can understand where you are aiming you thoughts but this thread has been merely opened for educational purposes. I can point out worser threads in which many participated but wont get into that brother. You should be happy to learn about what you may not know just as my virgin brain is embracing this information I had no clue about.

On apolitical point of view, the reality is that there are hundreds of MPs that have been preselected and it wouldnt be so bad to know what they represent and who.

Many thanks for your contribution.

NGONGE   

^^^^ I think Caaqil's opposition is to the above map and the way it shows the spread of one clan within Somalia without showing a similar breakdown for the other clans! I trust that the brother has been a bit hasty with his conclusion. If he waits for a few days, I'm sure others would have furnished us with similar maps with "different" breakdowns.

As great as this topic is, I fear that we will have to sift through a lot of rubbish to reach our final destination! So, fasten your seatbelts and have your senses of humour at the ready, people. :D

Rudy do you really think what you are writing is helpful or are you trying to start trouble here?

[ January 21, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: QUANTUM LEAP ]