Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

What are the long-term effects of �soo dhiib�?

Coloow   

Assalamu calaykum,

Do you send money to folks back home in Africa? Do you get a phone call on weekends from relatives and friends who are in dire need of money? Do you feel guilty for not providing enough assistance to folks back home? Do you wonder whether your money does more harm than good? Are you afraid that your money is used to finance qaad/jaad addiction, polygamy and in some cases to prolong the civil war? Have you had a phone call from a relative who gets angry at the amount he/she receives from you?

In that case, you are not alone. Since the collapse of Somalia, various instances of income to the average Somali family have collapsed, crippled or perished. The civil war, has unfortunately also contributed to a redefining of parenthood, solidarity and basic values of Somalis. From being a society that was characterised by handwork and parental responsibility/obligation, where working was a virtue, Somalis in Africa are arguably becoming passive. As depicted in the play/movie Qabyo by sangub, many of our people back home are hallucinated by life in the diaspora. Many feel that coming overseas is tantamount to a life of luxury, excess and to some extent a salvation.

Allow me to call this the Somali disease of “Hallow soo *** â€. This disease is spreading to regions and countries that have been spared the wrath of the civil war. Take for example, the case of the NFD, Somali galbeed and countries in the Middle East. For decades, Somalis in this part of the world have managed to live in harsh environments where regimes performed genocides, confisticate property and dictate the way of life. Despite these, many Somalis were brought up to work hard, never to beg and more importantly to be active and be responsibility.

Following the collapse of Somalia, it seems that the pan ultimate dream of many young Somalis as well as their parents is life in the diaspora. Quite understandable given the lack of security, work and future. In the long run of course this would lead to a brain drain. But, the degree of this disease is the manner. Gone are the days when you received a phone call where the call enquires about your health, about how you are faring in distant lands and when you will think of going back home. Instead, the dreaded phone call begins with “soo *** â€-an endless orgy of problems (many unverified)! It is not unlikely that the money you send is to finance the addiction of a qaad-munching relative . Sometimes, I suspect that he who has money to call is not that poor!

What are the causes of this disease? Are we (people in the diaspora) equally responsible for sending money? For exaggerating our life styles (it is not uncommon for people to send a picture beside expensive cars, skyscrapers and a touch of boasting).

Is it likely that the money we send back home might encourage passivity?

Caveman   

Caaqil excellent topic

I know one thing for sure, we (Somali folks) in Diaspora can’t neglect our families & relatives who are in dire need, so we are left with the only choice of continuing this irreversible dependency. Its true to same extent that most folks who send money back home encourage passive life style for our folks back home, due to the small amount/month of money we send them. Which doesn’t help them or us to get out of the stalemate. I have seen few cases where people get together and send large some of money to help them start business, but in the most cases we can only send what we can afford, which keeps them survive but in the long-run continues the never ending dependency cycle.

But I’ll give credit to mainly Somali mother’s in Diaspora who engage into this financial system called “Hikbad†or “Ayuutoâ€, where trusting group of them collect money of each other to help any meaningful ways to their relatives back home

Lastly I’ll suggest lets not look at only the negative aspect of this endless dependency, and lets focus the over all picture and the unqualified success of this “Money Soo dhiib†concept, how it helped a nation with out government so long, with out mass starvation.

I was looking a collected research data listed of African Countries and their GDP from 2000 to 2003. I was stun to find Somalia with out a central government had faired good enough to have better GDP then few African Countries like Ethiopia. This could only be attributed to the willing/eager family members in Diaspora to keep their families/relatives from starvation, with a Nation that was at the grip of thugs and warlords this long, I am surprised the situation at the ground is not miserable.

But, I agree with you in the long-term this dependency could have an ugly consequence.

Salam!

Salma   

Where there is a need you won't find manners. What you expect from them to say? Long stories & sweet words. Certainly, they will get to the point and tell u the issue b4 the line get disconnected :D , its all about the LINE yaakhi.

When I was carefree teenager I used to get mad of the callers who are calling from Somalia asking for financial assistance. I used to say "certainly they are spending the money in Qaat, buying gunz or to pay the "Blood Money" for a ****** mindless murderer. But again I changed my immature opinion when I went home.

Believe me, our ppl woulnd't have ask for money if they were working or have any other incomes. Pay whatever you can and whenever you can and don't press on yourself if you cant. Its either you pay or not pay, there is no other way for this situation, what you gonna choose. Since you cant offer them jobs and you can't fix the country then all what u can do is to pay.

Why we are talking about Somalia? People always ask their relatives when they are in troubles or financial problems even if their governments are active and their country's economical situation is stable and even if they were working & have their own income. Its just thatits more complicated coz there is no governement there.

I know some smart women mashallah with the help of their relatives' money who lives abroad they opened small shops for them and started small businesses and they'd never called again. Coz of this financial help from outside Somalia.

So there are positive sides for the "Soo-Dhib". Besides, with this money also, many somalis left somalia and migrated to the west and at the current they are helping some other ppl with the "Soo-Dhib" method. Or the money went for medication purposes for surgeries or moving to another city. Our xawaalado are very active and extended :D

Believe me, our ppl have dignity, very deep one they won't ask unless they need it. Except for those Qataholics who are killing themselves with this Qaat. I believe others deserve what they are receiving. Don't worry the charity you pay will be credited to your account in the Here-Afer smile.gif

I hope things get better inshallah & you won't hear another "Soo-Dhiib"

Salam

Coloow   

Caveman

You are right that the dollars we remit back home make a difference. The spillover effects maintain the local economy and contribute to the well being of the Somali economy. It brings in hard currency, contribute to entrepreneurship and in some cases play a vital role in promoting the conflict. But, in the long run it may create dependency, a sort of lock in effect –and this is my point. The problem as I see, is not only confined to the Somalis in Somalia who have been exposed to the civil war. It has spilled into Somali inhabited areas, or overseas Somalis in Kenya and the middle east.

Another dimension is the life of diaspora Somalis. Many of us are faced with apart from the guilt of not satisfying needs, with severe hardships. We are unemployed, living off welfare, come to societies with differing basic social infrastructure where there is an air of individualism, egoism etc. Although some of us came to the diaspora as grown ups, we are albeit latently involved in a process of slow integration, where we pick the norms of our new countries. A phone call or so from a relative in dire need might cause us sleepless nights, questions etc.

In many cases in Somalis, unarguably people lead a better life than us in the diaspora. They are at least domiciled in a place where everyone speaks and lives as a Somali.

You raise an interesting point into the forms of cooperative arrangements among women to pool resources. Actually, the ayuuto/sholongo issue is one that needs to be academically explored!. Despite the collapse of Somali Institutional nodes such as trust, the ayuuto/shalongo has survived. It is a contributing factor to our newfound richness (expensive cars and homes in the diaspora) and making life easier back home. The self-help collaborations, which were gender, based and involved symbolic sums is now big business that is an alternative to western forms of savings. Men are also involved.

Classique, I agree our contribution helps and benefits! But don’t you think there is a dependency aspect? That we in the diaspora merely become a source of income? That when we kick the basket, our relatives are left at the mercy of others?

NGONGE   

Somali people who live in cities ALWAYS asked for money. Can’t say the same about the Nomads. I’m not sure whence these recent delusions of grandeur and navel gazing came from! Somalia has always been a poor country and in poor countries, POOR people reside. The whole tribal system that many of us seem to strongly believe in, though usually sugar coated with pride and superiority is in actual fact all about financial dependency. Remove the dependence and the whole system will collapse.

Having read previous threads covering this issue, I can’t help but be amazed at the whole logic. It really does not add up! There is talk of a brain drain; talk of the Somali economy collapsing once this stream of money dries up; mostly talk of total and utter Armageddon (for lack of a better word).

I sometimes wonder if people who make these “new†discoveries were those who were well off when Somalia was a republic (of sorts) and are now finding out how the man in the street has always lived his life! I also wonder if they’re just dreamy young people trying to paint a better picture that their minds (and conscious’) can cope with!

The answer to the question would of course be different if the money being sent was sent to warlords or fighting men (such as in the case of the SNM and others). However, are there any alternatives to sending money back home when the destination is poor relatives?

Should we practise “tough love†and let them fend for themselves? Should we “inform†them about life in the West not being a bed of roses (though it is!)?

It’s true that much of the money being sent back home goes to bad “causesâ€. However, plenty more does go to very good sources. There are countless children going to private schools and being funded by relatives abroad, many shops, houses and businesses were built and maintained by funds from migrant Somalis. Much of what has been built and is being built is done through your and my money, but whom does the actual ground work, surely not the “passive†locals?

Your article wags the finger of blame but is unsure where to point it, it wants to go for the “soft†targets or even be thoughtful with its self-sacrifice and point the finger at the author himself and those sharing his characteristics (Somalis in the Diaspora). However, it misses the point that when those “suffering†are passive and those causing the suffering are indifferent the whole question becomes superfluous.

Somalis, I believe, are simple people; like simple people they boast, like simple people they brag and like simple people they beg! Show them a fountain that has plenty of water in it and they’ll build a city round it. When the well dries up, they’ll wait for someone else to point out a new water supply to them. You can lead them here and there (intellectuals and all) and they’ll follow you. Now, if you’re really sincere in your worries and would really want to change things, you need to get into that cesspit that they call Somali politics and introduce your changes there (mind they don’t corrupt you though). However, if you’re unwilling to go there or “can’t be botheredâ€, then you’re better off sending your money with no complaints while sipping your milkshake and reminiscing about the great old days.

well said N-GONE-GAY or should I call u QOROX? :D

caaqiloow, ina-adeeroow lacagta loo diraayo reeraha iney sadaqo kuu tahay ma o'git miyaa? Inkastoo la awooodin markasto in la biilo reeraha africa, ma aha laakiin in lagala baqiilo kista loo dhiibaayo.

halahaas waa kummi iyo taano heygi

Coloow   

Ngonge, this "article" never aimed at "pointing the finger" at anyone or group. Rather, it was meant to highlight and if possible explore the long term consequences of "soo dhiib".

Read again, I am not discarding the economies of helping.

NGONGE   

Caaqil, “pointing the finger†comment was tongue in cheek, saaxib. It wasn’t done as an attack, sorry if my words came across in such away. smile.gif

Where we differ here is in the idea of dependency. I believe this has always been the case. You’re right though, in the past, and maybe because the “begging†was done in audio cassettes, people had more time to ask about the health of their “patron†and give some gossip about the local town and the people around. These days, with technology as it is, many people use the phone instead and are charged for every minute. Harshness and blunt requests are the order of the day.

Until there is a functioning state with proper order and institutions (at least in the African sense) most people will carry on relying on their relatives abroad and this dependency will carry on. However, once the state is in place these numbers are sure to dwindle. Many will have, see or get presented with opportunities to support themselves. Many others, as in the past with the Seamen, the Aden workers and Abu Dhabi dwellers, will still seek help from their migrant well-off relatives. Sadly, in their eyes, we always have been and will remain bottomless pits.

In the great scheme of things, I personally do not regard this as a major problem, a temporary problem maybe, but not a key one with huge consequences.

Coloow   

Mzee Ngonge nime fahamu.

simply the best, waxaani sadaqo ka weyn inadeer! Waalidka waa laa gartay laakin qaraabo qansax iyo soo dhiib sadaqo ka weyn. Sidoo kale, 20 jir shaqeeysan lahaa ayaa soo dhiib aay weedhiisa noqotay

cryptic   

Great topic...

Correlating the donation of money to relatives in our poverty stricken homeland to the Somali depencence on welfare in foreing countries is not a good idea. One because dependence from back home is based on necessity. Arguably one can say that this money is used for other means such as qaad and so on but this is often not the case. Afterall Somalia is one of the poorest countries in the world. As for the dependency in foreign countries, there is a choice. The passive Somali problem plays a large role in those of us residing in foreign countries. For us to even put these in the same scale and analyze them one thing would have to take place. A true government must form and only then can we asses this matter in terms of whether its beneficial or not. Right now the "tough love" scenario is not a good idea at all.

Baashi   

Being poor or being born to poverty-stricken family is not a disease. It is a misfortune. And when the going gets tough and you got loved ones sipping milkshake on the other side of the divide, well “Ii soo dhiib lacag is in order. Ever heard the saying Gaaji gurri og iyo gardarro garab og midna lagama nasto. Look the bright side: the generosity of Somalis.

BTW, is this the white man’s burden the Somali style? It’s no wonder!

juba   

there is a great dependency not only somalis in soamlia but somalis in foreign countries. the latter being more worse. it makes us seem like a pple who cannot standup once given a hand. it is embarrasing, and unproductive. it also hinders our progress in those foerign countries if we are constently barred to welfare.

But the dependency issue is more expected in Somalia, a place were a shilling would be helpful. It is good to give a financial hand to those less fortunate and not a lot of money would be needed due to the currency. But this will build up because they will undoubteldy ask for more. i believe the long term effects of this will be a pple who will are not motivated to get a job and make their own money. A pple who in a sense will become lazy and unworried about their future. a pple who will became handicapped by this dependecy which in turn will handicapp our nation.

it would be nice if some of this money would be used for schools and hospitals and various other forms of infastructure.

Caaqil,

Your iisoodhiib questioning misses an important fact that exist with many sociaties, including Mexicans, Indians, Jews, Pakistanis, African communities in the diaspora, as well as certain Arab countries who depend on the iisoodhiib they recieve from their family members in the overseas.

I happen to read an article awhile ago, speaking actualy the Xawaala system (remmitance) and countries who have some considerable numbers of people in the U.S., imagine that Mexican people in the States send back $10 billion annually! That is only one single country's population and as you know, Mexica is considered to be one of the well-to-do nations in the fore-front of oil producing countries! What is then wrong with their people in Mexica?

Sending money back home should never become a matter of concern, but we have to look at the praisworthy factors that our money plays in saving the country. Somalia is the sole country in Africa that is leading with a decent living standards in the absense of central government. Look at the stinking Ethiopians who are suffering more than ever and currently applying some economic programs from the IMF and World Bank! They are indeed starving. I don't know if you heard this or not but I gathered somewhere that the hanger that exists in Ethiopia has prompted the govt. to ask European countries to come for adopting Ethiopian Children. This could happen our country only if we were Christians and so forth.

Let's not see iisoodhiib as something of no significance to our people and country. And insha allah things will soon change for prosperity as every hardships lies some properities.

Coloow   

Alle u baahane, indeed the money we send back home does make a difference by raising the living standards of the people; Somalia has historically benefited from remittances overseas ; Middle east and then western Europe.

But that is not my point! My point is the long term consequences and how the soo dhiib concept is abused; and how it is spreading to somali inhabited regions that did not have this culture.

raula   

Originally posted by Caaqil:

.....But that is not my point! My point is the long term consequences and how the soo dhiib concept is abused; and how it is spreading to somali inhabited regions that did not have this culture.

As Simply the Best said-Longterm consequence can be being rewarded for fulfilling a religious duty {Sadaqa} Period. yara Yara about political, social and economical boosts the monetary aid has provided but most of all-its your duty as a muslim.

Still I concur with all your inputs-however, we need sometimes not to amalgamate issues with western{economically-efficient, Ideal, pragmatic etc} philosophies. Nevertheless, the money has been channelled sometimes to those who dont need it-but all in all its still EVERY MUSLIMS DUTY TO SUPPORT HIS/HER BROTHER/SISTER IN NEED.

Ma'salama.