Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

what language do you speak (Af kee kuhadashaa)

Coloow   

Baashiyow, sxb dhowr sanno ka hor markaan soomaaliya imid anigoo kuri yar ah waxaa laigugu sheekeyey in hablaha soomaaliyeed aay hubkooda gacanta ku sita oo aay fududahay in lala hasaawo (iyo in ka badanba). Beri baan offside galay. Jamhuuriyadda dhan waan ku wareegay meel waliba waxaa ka jirey in lais xifaaleeyo;

Reer qurac hablahooda ma istinjoodaan,

Reer garas ragooda sidiid dumarka ayaay faantamaan

Reer garamgaram qamriga iyo xashiishka waa u xalaal

etc,

Laakin markaad u dhabo gashid aalaba waxyaabahaasi sal iyo raad malaha.

Runtii waay jiraan dhaqamo kala gedisan oo aay ummadda soomaliyeed leedahay; kuwaasi oo loo arko inaay caadi ahayd,

hase yeeshe, ilama aha in arrinta aad xustay aay jirto.

Dadka aad xustay, anigu waan la dhaqmey, (khaastan kuwa degan kenya) waxyaabahaasina kuma aanan arag.,Waa dad u badan islaam.

Meesha aan ku dhashay waxaan deris la aheenay Boranta; dhaqankooda wuxuu ahaa mid lala yaabo; Ninka xaaskiisa waa loo daba maraa; waran unbuu surunayaa; haddii qof kale uu yimaado oo uu arko waran suran wuu sii gudbayaa.

Sidoo kale markii uu odeyga reerka dhinto waa lala aasaa warankiisa iyo xaaskiisaba.

Baashi   

Caaqil sxb it is true that folklore stories, stereotypes, stigmatization, etc gain currency in some circles after a while. What I'm writing on the screen is no folklore. It is something I'd encountered in my summer trips to my uncle and my father's farm in Shabeelada Hoose. It ain't kutiri-ku-teen! I trust that you do know what you are talking about. I also believe you when you say that you have embarked a fact-finding mission in all over Somalia. But I have to tell you that if you had ever set a foot in Aalan fuuto/Buulo Warbo farmin area, we wouldn't have this discussion as the facts on the ground speak themselves.

I've witnessed someone who slaughtered two cattle for the memory of a dead cattle whose milk he said fed his kids in a notorious drought. He was the elder of the town. He was a Jiido man. FYI people in that town had an accent in Shahada. The first Dugsi was opened after lamo Goodle arrival. I tell you bro this ain't folklore.

Admin. my appologies for using clan names on the post in this thread.

Gaasira   

Baashi-

Maay and Maxaa Tiri have only 60 per cent cognition rate (this means only 60% of the words we use are similar, this is apparently sufficient for linguistic classifications). This probably explains why you and I do not understand those words completely.

Anyhow, I don’t have the time to summarize the study now. If any one is interested, here is how you can get hold of it.

History in the Horn of Africa, 1000 B.C.- 1500 A.D: Aspects of Social and Economic Change Between the Rift Valley and the Indian Ocean (Ali, Mohamed Nuuh, 1985)

The study is now published through UMI Dissertation Services, based in Michigan, USA

Tel: 1800-521-3042 (I’ve called to check if it’s there- and it is)

Use Item Reference # 8601884

If you live outside Canada or US, call 734-761-4700 Ext. 2825

Baashi   

Gediid,

Bro you missing the point somehow! I'm not generalizing any group or clan. I'm just confirming what Mr. Shoobaro alluded to as I've been there where I've encountered folks who practice the very pagan custom he mentioned.

Now my good friend Caaqil insisted that it is a myth or folklore. That is the context in which this exchange took place. War Gediid got it sxb ;) ...anniga ha ila aadan halkaa iyo meelaan la aqoon :D

Gaasira,

Many thanks for the info. I just called them and guess what? They are selling the damn disertation :D

Soft unbound paper: $36 + state tax.

(forget what name they've used on this one): $66 + tax.

Hard copy: $81 + tax.

They wish icon_razz.gif

Gaasira   

Baashi-

Yes, I should have mentioned the money part. I could always make you a Xerox copy, you know, that’s if buying will break the bank- smile.gif I know this Indian guy who will do it really cheap. This will all be facal khayr, of course, for services rendered(I’ve been wanting to read a simplified critique of Darwin’s theory for a while, but couldn’t find one until I saw your recommendation of “Darwin on Trial†on this site. I picked up a copy and it’s proving to be an interesting, albeit slow read- as they say, one good turn deserves another…). What say you?

raula   

My fellow nomads you make something straightforward and solely specific as knotty and baffled as your modern psyche. I am surprised what are you guyz aiming to proof here (yes, bare with me I can make out that many of you are of course well-versed in the different Somali-related dialects -but that is absolutely not the subject in discussion). Pinch me if I am amiss fellaz-the Q is what languages do you speak, humbly list them or display them however you like, but conversing in fine points about [especially]the stereotypes existent in the languages and Somali culture is absolutely superfluous (I assume) of again the question at hand.

Ok guyz, I know I have ridiculed you enough-and after reading you post , I still haven’t learned where the somali language/people (and its related dialects) was derived from-isn’t that what majority of you guyz are trying to proof here :confused: . I just hope that as the thread continues, the negative stereotypes wont persist or prevail by bashing other minority cultures (where technically some Somalis have originated from) and their derivatives (coz the latter is highly controversial and at times is set off by HATE by former chief qaabil-oriented Somalis who in the past decided the history of the SOMALI_MINORIES and written books about to entertain skewed minds). --and Iam not saying that the posters here have done so..I am actually wrong..some said that so and so (Qaabil hebel) have acquired negative stereotypes as a result of such actions/aspects/circumstances being recurrent :eek: in their cultures :rolleyes: -C'mon lets be real here..are you joking or you are high on methane ;) ..AMAZING discoveries I tell ya.

Otherwise, carry on

Now I speak:

My mother tongue-Kalenjin (Ki Nandi) and Kiswahili (Swahili) :D

My ‘other’ mother tongue-Somali ;)

My adoptee are:-kiluhya, Kijaluo(luo), Kimaragoli, Kikuyu, :rolleyes: Kingereza(English), Kiarabu(Arabic) :cool: .

Baashi   

Gaasira,

Whatever happened the inter-library loan services they used to have anyway? Xerox copy will save the day Gaasira and yes buying will take bite out of my meager account. Why buy when Xeroxing will do, right? Save the dough is my motto. I’m kinda obsessed with the idea of attaining financial freedom - one of these days Insha’Allah. I say thanks for the offer sis that’s very kind of u. Now I know smile.gif I will try to remember that u owe me one favor...and make no mistake I will indeed use it wisely smile.gif .

Upon reading Philip Johnson’s thoughts, are you, by any chance, experiencing a paradigm shift?

Gaasira   

Baashi,

I shall happily oblige, as I have no plans of getting rich myself. In fact my motto is just the opposite: own nothing- no cars, houses or jewelry, just a few suitcases of essential items and books. Of course, I welcome friends who own these along with fat bank accounts ;)

I never bought into the idea of evolution in the first place, however, it has also never occurred to me to think of Darwinism as the religion of atheists- in this sense you might say that I am experiencing a paradigm shift- in the most liberal sense of term.

Cheers.

Gediid   

Baashi

Saaxiib waad i jeceshay malaha(I mean that in general ways)I don't see my name in this topic but I see that you have responded to Gediid. :confused: :confused:

Baashi   

Gediid,

Anniga ma qorrin :D Waan inkiray icon_razz.gif Waa cajiib maxaan ka waday?

Shoo,

Ninkaan wax ma cafiyo waa u jeedaa sida odayga u daba joogo...maxaan ka yeelaa :D

Matkey   

Ani afka maay la eraaw iya kodohowee iyo haan kale isin kodohowasan. Ani way kasawaye dadka barsho meela iyo kahelaayeen historiga kasabsan umada kale. Isin way imaleeye time-travel machine iya hasataan. Sababtoo eh, lan kasta walle meela hako qoree usugo inka fiirsane the degree of validity in his/her assertion. Wal badan oo asal in lahayna iyaa dheegi, hadana masqanteey masheenase ina dadke hala horseeda; sabatana way etaa, eeb iyaa iinagadaase inta ana ara reer hebaloow sidaa suubiya jireen. Haye hee quraafatke hala joojiyo. Tobiga luqad iya kasaab santa sidaas daradiyee reer hebalowka isin shegasan dhaafa. Waana inka xumateen, lan walaala iya aha.

Aysinyaal salamantiin waana ilaahey hanigh gargaare kuligeen. Amiin

Going back to the topic at hand, I have Dr. Noor’s dissertation/research about Somali history; but I don’t suppose it is permissible to post it on the internet. I gather the professor has good reason for limiting the accessibility o his dissertation to the libraries.

Originally posted by Matkey:

Ani afka maay la eraaw iya kodohowee iyo haan kale isin kodohowasan. Ani way kasawaye dadka barsho meela iyo kahelaayeen historiga kasabsan umada kale. Isin way imaleeye time-travel machine iya hasataan. Sababtoo eh, lan kasta walle meela hako qoree usugo inka fiirsane the degree of validity in his/her assertion. Wal badan oo asal in lahayna iyaa dheegi, hadana masqanteey masheenase ina dadke hala horseeda; sabatana way etaa, eeb iyaa iinagadaase inta ana ara reer hebaloow sidaa suubiya jireen.

:D:D:D:D:D

Wal i hasuusidee geeygii mariidi! Alankay Maad Eedan si feyla in doogahay. Ar huu makitaawiyaana in saan ii si kale intabida dooga, iin ganbatay.