Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

what language do you speak (Af kee kuhadashaa)

Cush·it·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-shtk) n.

Is a branch of the Afro-Asiatic language family spoken in Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, and northern Kenya and including Beja, Oromo, and Somali (chech out their alternative name's for Af Somali -- There is a gigling translator out there)

code:

Afro-Asiatic  (372)

Cushitic (47)

Central (5)

Eastern (1)

XAMTANGA [XAN] (Ethiopia)

Northern (1)

BILEN [bYN] (Eritrea)

Southern (2)

AWNGI [AWN] (Ethiopia)

KUNFAL [XUF] (Ethiopia)

Western (1)

AGAW, WESTERN [QIM] (Ethiopia)

East (34)

BOON [bNL] (Somalia)

Dullay (3)

BUSSA [DOX] (Ethiopia)

GAWWADA [GWD] (Ethiopia)

TSAMAI [TSB] (Ethiopia)

Highland (7)

ALABA [ALB] (Ethiopia)

BURJI [bJI] (Ethiopia)

GEDEO [DRS] (Ethiopia)

HADIYYA [HDY] (Ethiopia)

KAMBAATA [KTB] (Ethiopia)

LIBIDO [LIQ] (Ethiopia)

SIDAMO [sID] (Ethiopia)

Konso-Gidole (2)

DIRASHA [GDL] (Ethiopia)

KOMSO [KXC] (Ethiopia)

Oromo (6)

OROMO, BORANA-ARSI-GUJI [GAX] (Ethiopia)

OROMO, WEST-CENTRAL [GAZ] (Ethiopia)

GARREH-AJURAN [GGH] (Kenya)

OROMO, EASTERN [HAE] (Ethiopia)

ORMA [ORC] (Kenya)

SANYE [sSN] (Kenya)

Rendille-Boni (2)

BONI [bOB] (Kenya)

RENDILLE [REL] (Kenya)

Saho-Afar (2)

AFAR [AFR] (Ethiopia)

SAHO [sSY] (Eritrea)

Somali (6)

DABARRE [DBR] (Somalia)

GARRE [GEX] (Somalia)

JIIDDU [JII] (Somalia)

MAAY [QMA] (Somalia)

SOMALI [sOM] (Somalia)

TUNNI [TQQ] (Somalia)

Western Omo-Tana (4)

ARBORE [ARV] (Ethiopia)

BAISO [bSW] (Ethiopia)

DAASANACH [DSH] (Ethiopia)

EL MOLO [ELO] (Kenya)

Yaaku (1)

YAAKU [MUU] (Kenya)

North (1)

BEDAWI [bEI] (Sudan)

South (7)

AASÃX [AAS] (Tanzania)

BURUNGE [bDS] (Tanzania)

DAHALO [DAL] (Kenya)

GOROWA [GOW] (Tanzania)

IRAQW [iRK] (Tanzania)

WASI [WBJ] (Tanzania)

KW'ADZA [WKA] (Tanzania)

Now which do you speak?

Me, i'm boring i only do common somali :-(, but my grand mother did speak af banaadir, and my crap memory tells me my best childhood friend spook Af Maay.

So what about you guys and gals?

Baashi   

Somali of course! Just in case you've never heard of Garre, Jiido, Dabare, and Tunni you are not alone. These communities live the most fertile land of Somali penisula - lower Shabela and the upper Juba river. Jiido dominate in the area of the west of Qoryooleey such as Mombasa yareey, Uraanuroow, buulo warbo and Aalan fuuto. Whereas Dabare live in the area of Buulo mareer, Kuntowaareey, arbow heeroo, up to Mundul and the are where Shabele river leaves its rich soil before it disappears. Garre are nomadic people they roam the area between Aalan fuuto to Diinsoor to the Siidaamo Ethiopia.

If you don't speak Af Maay you would be hard presed to understand them. The common language in their neck of the wood is Af Maay.

I hope this helps!

GARRE [GEX] (Somalia)....i have heard that when someone from the garre tribe gets married, the bride has to stay with his fellow geeljireyaal/friends until she gets pregnant, they say that it usually takes seven to nine days, before the pregnant bride comes home to her husband.......i have heard this from odayaal ka sheekaynaya, when they finished the story i told them "if it was me, i would neva get married, i would just look for new friends" :D:D:D

has someone else heard such story.....in ay run tahay iyo inkale...

asxantu

Gaasira   

According to Professor Maxamed Cali Nuux, Professor of African History (who is also a linguist and former Dean of Lafoole), Af Maay and Af Soomaali are one and the same. So, in reality there is only Af Maay and Af Maxaa Tiri/Tidhi, both of which are Somali. He studied the origins of the Somali language and found that the Somali language is close to (or originates from) Oromo and Afar languages. Afar is the oldest of the three followed by Oromo and then Somali.

I can’t think of the title of professor Nuux’s research at moment (this was his Ph.D. thesis for UCLA), but I shall find it if anyone is interested.

Baashi   

Shoo inna Baro,

That is true hence Garre kisigiis xalaal waa as they say. Kisi means garac ama ***** .

Gaarisa,

I don't know about that for I don't undestand nor can I speak af Maay. I can guess though the meaning of the phrases but not with mush confidence.

Here is an example:

Lan ween ma booraaw,

or

Hunnfooy in koytoo,

Haanshoo ii sheentee,

Umbureydii doraad,

*****ya la siiyee!

Both are songs sang by the legendary singer Hassan Adan.

Tuujiye   

Shoobaro..waxaa ii keentay heestii yaah............"Gabalka yeeraayo goxaan baxaayo iyo gurbaankaan.OO geedishaanboowaa laguu guurihaa laguu guurahaa"...lol..sheekadii geedishaanboo aa keentay...lol

Ok shaabaro shaanboo..lol..

wareer badanaa!!

Coloow   

Baashi and Shoobaro,

That is nonsense! It is sheeko baaraleey.

The story narrated by shoobaro is common in the borana and sakuuye community! These are pagans!

Originally posted by Gaasira:

According to Professor Maxamed Cali Nuux, Professor of African History (who is also a linguist and former Dean of Lafoole), Af Maay and Af Soomaali are one and the same. So, in reality there is only Af Maay and Af Maxaa Tiri/Tidhi, both of which are Somali. He studied the origins of the Somali language and found that the Somali language is close to (or originates from) Oromo and Afar languages. Afar is the oldest of the three followed by Oromo and then Somali.

I can’t think of the title of professor Nuux’s research at moment (this was his Ph.D. thesis for UCLA), but I shall find it if anyone is interested.

I don't buy the arguments that tell us to believe our language or as Somali people were originated from Oromo or Pharoans/Faraaciinta. That Professor's thesis must be a bogus, because if you read the book that is titled Taariikhda Soomaaliya, by Prof. Liiqliiqato, you find different stories about the Origin of Somali people, which I believe is in contridiction with what the western-educated talking heads preach.

Nomadically, Somalians are more stable in the primitivity of the culture and nomadic living standards, while the other ethnicities in the Horn had been facing different stages of cultural fluctuations and norms because of colonial invations and alien influences.

Salaan...

Geedi Shaamboow, a mythical figure popularized in one of the most popular Sulfa's songs, was alleged to reside somewhere between Daafeed and Qoryooleey long way before Islaam reached Soomaali people.

He, as powerful and feared as he was, has been purportedly killed by a young man whose sister was soon going to get married, and he couldn't stand the bizarre thought of his sister first sleeping with Geedi Shaamboow for one week, in order her marriage to be 'valid' and 'legitimate.'

However, Geedi Shaamboow, if he ever existed at all, wasn’t only confined to one tribe, but most of southern folks practiced, just as the north was alleged to have had a character named Bucur Baceyr.

And about the luuqadaha Soomaalida ku hadasho. If we closely look at Af Garro {Admin., pardon the tribal jargon names}, it is closely related to af Boorana, spoken in the triangle between the fictional borders of Keenya, Itoobiya and Soomaaliya settled by Soomaalis and some Boorana. I had heard af Garro spoken in Afgooye town, and I can tell you it is the most, furthest "dialect" {if we can freely call it a dialect at all} away from the standard Soomaali.

Af Jiido, af Dabare iyo af Tunni are all heavily influenced by af Maay, even until recently af Dabare and af Jiido were considered to be dialects of af Maay since the speakers mutually understand.

Alle-u-baahne, it is not as complicated as you might think when it comes the complexity of Soomaali language and its relationship with other closeby languages, mainly Oromo and Cafar.

Do you know that how many words we share with Oromo in Soomaali langauge? I have few words I posted on another website:

Soomaali: Ukun (egg)

Oromo: Wukun

Soomaali: Carab (tongue)

Oromo: Arab

Soomaali: Luuq (narrow)

Oromo: Liiq

Soomaali: Gal (enter)

Oromo: Gall

Soomaali: Dibbi (bull)

Oromo: Dubbi

Soomaali: Dilaal/Dilaale {broker}

Oromo: Dalaal

Soomaali: Digsi (pot)

Oromo: Distii

Soomaali: Faras (horse}

Oromo:Faras

Soomaali: Gaashaan (shield)

Oromo: Gaashaa

Soomaali: Qasaare (lost/lose)

Oromo: Qasar

Soomaali: Saabuun (soap)

Oromo: Saabunaa

Soomaali: Af (mouth)

Oromo: Afaan

Soomaali: Caado (custom/tradition/habit)

Oromo: Aada

Soomaali: Fal/falid (dig/digging)

Oromo: Fal/fallu

One positive outcome--and I call this positive for simple reason Soomaali isku baratay--that came out after the civil war is that waala is bartay. The long rhetorical era that proclamated most Soomaalis to be "nomads" or that "all" Soomaalis speak one comprehensible Soomaali language is gone. Wixii under carpet lagu qarin jiray waa soo wada baxeen.

Yes, all Soomaalis speak one common standard langauge, laakiin lahjahada kale under carpet aa lagu tuuri jiray by dowlada. Did you know that when dowladii rayidka ruled in 1960s, Raadiyo Muqdisho had two official and equal programs broadcasted in both af Maay and af Maxaa Tiri? Kacaankii aa joojisay fearing lest some asssume Soomaalis speak two different langauges.

Viking   

Originally posted by Gaasira:

I have a study that brushes on the issue but was never published. It does support the theory that Somali and Mai were the same at some stage. The study also talks about the relationship with Oromo...

Probably the most important word in the Somali language is its name, i.e. SOMALI. Often misunderstood and occasionally misinterpreted by Somali and foreign scholars alike, the author thought it befitting that the study should begin with it. Contrary to all erroneous theories advanced and meanings attributed to it, the name was a simple Somali noun describing the profession of its speakers, namely SOMAAL. In old Somali, so' meant meat - now replaced by the modern word HILIB. Among speakers of the MAI dialect, however, SO' was very much in use and was the only word for meat. The suffix MAAL means to live on or to make gain from. Hence SO'MAAL literally meaning 'one who lives on meat' - in other words a pastoralist.

...and then it goes on to say...

Linguistically, Somali was classified as a member of the Eastern Cushitic sub-group of the Cushitic branch of the Hamito-Semitic family. Languages that belong to the Hamito-Semitic family were usually sub-divided into branches that represented dialects of the original parent language. These were Semitic, Egyptian, Berber, Cushitic and Omotic.

While some linguists rejected the existance of a genetic affinity between the Chadic and other branches of the Hamito-Semitic, other accepted it. Similarly, on the basis of the low percentage of vocabulary items shared between the West Cushitic languages and other members of the Cushitic branch, some scholars classified West Cushitic as a seperate branch of the Hamito-Semitic known s Omotic. Still other connect Omotic with the Chadic group.

Viking   

Maskiin-Macruuf,

There probably is some link between the two languages but the word faras is usually said to come from Arabic.

Soap in...

Spanish - sabon

Italian - sapone

Rumanian - sapun

In Kalenjin (a Nilotic people living in the Rift Valley of Kenya)...

hundred - bogol

rain - rob

I wonder where we had contact with these people of ifit's just a mere coincidence.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Caaqil:

Baashi and Shoobaro,

That is nonsense! It is sheeko baaraleey.

The story narrated by shoobaro is common in the borana and sakuuye community! These are pagans!

Caaqil sxb careful there! I'm talking about something I know in first hand. I've seen this happen in Aalan Fuuto, Shabeelada Hoose (about 120 Km SW of Qoryooleey). Never ever dismiss something you have no knowledge again sxb. It is simply plain wrong.

Btw, Garre and Jiido don't comprehend each other's dialect. They use Af Maay to communicate.

Coloow   

Baashi, sxb, I probably have more knowledge of the Gare than anyone on this site. I have heard of this while in somalia. I investigated, talked to friends etc. Many of it is hear-say or xifaale as the somalis says.

In the qoryooley area, we have alot of refugees from sidamo (many of them are caruus, Oromo, Galla). Of course, there could be some traces of atheism in that area.

It is the same as the Geedishambow, Bucur bacayr, Dhegadheer etc...Could the actions of these mythical characters be used to smear a whole clan? I am sure some of the members of the clan who visit this site would feel offended, don't you think?

Baashi   

OK Caaqil sxb. I'm talking about Garre not the refugees from Siidaamo. Yes there were refugees around Qoryooleey like Xero 1aad & 2aad. But Aalan Fuuto is way in the inland and it is much closer to Jubbada Dhexe than Shabeelada Hoose. Therefore it is not the vicinity of Qoryooleey. In fact it is under Kuntuwaareey district.

The story was related to my father and my uncle by five men who were in the town to sell their camels. The women married by their cousin (3 months pregnant) was with them at the time. It is not myth or Kutiri-ku-teen. Perhaps they were lying even though I don't see why would they do that. They were Geeleey from Diinsoor.