Sign in to follow this  
Zaylici

Debate: Faith and reason

Zaylici   

The question is one that has preoccupied me for long time, the question is basically the following,

What is the relationship between reason( or the use of the methods of reason) and faith in Islam.

May the creator of the universe lead us to the right bath, Amen

[ September 02, 2003, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]

Sophist   

Salaams,

Akhii there is good book written with the same title by not so favourite of mine Muslim philosopher with the name of Ibn Rushd FAITH AND REASON IN ISLAM. or perhaps Magnum opus of Alghazali would do greatly in the matter Tahafutul Falasifa- The Incoherence of Philosophers.

I hope these would help.

i think they totally contradict each other, i suppose you could find a comfortable middle ground, but faith requires us to believe on faith (trust) alone. i meann generally our reason would tell us that there is no such thing as ghosts, spirits because we dont see them, there is no proof of their existence and the same thing could be said of allah, but its our faith that tells us otherwise since childhood (or even before we knew what to call Him)... did that make sense? what i mean is it just contradicts itself because faith is blind reason isnt, in fact it usually gives an unapologetic, unflattering look on life. but than again, the truth hurts. im jumping back and forth, sorry.

Faith and reason go hand in hand, really. You can't have faith in something unless you used your reasoning and best judgement. You can't just follow blindly and say you have faith. But you need to find the knowledge, use yor reason and then in turn have a stronger faith because you understand.

I am not much of a philosopher...like sophist up there..but this is just how it makes sense to me!

Zaylici   

I have intially posted the article to see if I can secure some more information and ideas with regard to reason and faith. It does seem that I have secured partially. I

Matkey   

An attempt to answer your question requires an understanding of how each person defines reason. I say this because some would consider reason to be acquiring the truth or hidden knowledge of metaphysical world or reality, which transcends our physical world, and while others would define or say reason is making sense out of confusion. It is my conjecture that rationalist school of thought used reason to investigate first causes of all existence and knowledge. But as limited as our sense-perception is, we can only acquire a fraction of what was revealed to us by the ONE with the infinite knowledge, ALLAH almighty. Humans possess this faculty (reason) for the purpose of self-restrain, thus it is distinguishing mark b/n animal and humans.

Zaylici, if your conception of reason is different from the basic definition (making sense out confusion) then an attempt to answer this question requires someone with great understanding of the both realm.

Given the most fertile mind, reason alone cannot engender one’s conviction of faith or religion. For example, we can see some of the philosophers with great minds whose arrogance has caused them to disobey their CREATOR.

Fi amana Allah

Paragon   

It's really NOT that complicated, Jamaal.

Opinionated, I am not sure whether debating about Religon and faith is complicated or not, but one thing i know is; the conflict that exists between extreme faith and extreme reasoning needs people with great wit in the differentiation of the two. I don't think it is complicated at all smile.gif , neither do i think otherwise!

Sniper   

You've to beleive(faith)with out seeking reasoning...since the source is realibale(Allah).if you seek reasoning,then you're seeking GHAIB,which is not availbale to you...so i think we should beleive,then when Allah want us to find out the exact steps that contributed to given event(reason)we should...!

so i think Allah knows the details of the reasons,and since we're ill informed we've to belive anyway...!

Khayr   

Salaamz,

This is a very good topic that perhaps

most don't deem as important b/c of misconceptions.

This topic would gain more responses in the 'ISLAM' forum.

Muhammad   

I think I have said this before in some other place, Reason is like a vehicle, once you get to your destination, sooner or later you will have to leave it behind and go with Faith!

you don't enter Jannah with Reason, you enter it with Faith. I'm very suprised to see people trying to prove Islam or the quran with science and modern concepts. these are people who have very weak faith and want proves for themselves.

Islam allows you to use logic and reason to an extent, but don't believe because of reason, belief must come from inside, you need faith to believe. we must know that our knowledge is limited. there are many things that we do not understand in this world and that of knowledge we have be given little.

Macalin   

Thers absolutely no way some one can reason with FAITH.

Reason brings ur mind and guts into faith,and u cannot take doubts, which in my eyes go hand in hand with reasoning can go along with a faith..something u deligently believe in.

Islam has no reasoning..it has a way

Zaylici   

Thannk you all

I asked you the above question so as to benifit from your thoughts and ideas, it seems, based on the qualites of the answers hotherto submitted, the end that I aimed at has yet to be achieved, for that reason I will let nature take its course.