Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Somalia Online Weekly Bulletin: Informative articles only

Baashi   

Jazeera, abaayo u might wanna correct the links. The first link has an extra t and if u can erased it will just work fine. The second link has extra period at the end of 'htm'. Very interesting conspiracy theories there. Thanks Jazeera.

Shaqsii sxb I read the article and find it very interesting.

More about words of wisdom.

------------------

I HAVE LEARNED

I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them.

I've learned that no matter how much I care, some people just don't care back.

I've learned that it takes years to build up trust and only seconds todestroy it.

I've learned that it's not what you have in your life but who you have in your life that counts.

I've learned that you can get by on charm for about fifteen minutes.After that, you'd better know something.

I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to the best others can do, but to the best you can do.

I've learned that it's not what happens to people that's important. It's what they do about it.

I've learned that no matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides.

I've learned that you should always leave loved ones with loving words. It may be the last time you see them.

I've learned that you can keep going long after you think you can't.

I've learned that heroes are the people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

I've learned that there are people who love you dearly, but just don't know how to show it.

I've learned that sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I've learned that true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance. Same goes for true love.

I've learned that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

I've learned that no matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.

I've learned that it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

I've learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn't stop for your grief.

I've learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

I've learned that just because two people argue, it doesn't mean they don't love each other. And just because they don't argue, it doesn't mean they do.

I've learned that sometimes you have to put the individual ahead of their actions.

I've learned that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.

I've learned that no matter the consequences, those who are honest with themselves get further in life.

I've learned that your life can be changed in a matter of hours by people who don't even know you.

I've learned that even when you think you have no more to give, when a friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.

I've learned that writing, as well as talking, can ease emotional pains.

I've learned that the people you care most about in life are taken from you too soon.

I've learned that it's hard to determine where to draw the line between being nice and not hurting people's feelings and standing up for what you believe."

Source: Unknown

I apologize Baashi! My keyboard is breaking down, and either I can't notice its mess-ups or I just can't be bothered! But I hope you found your way to the site in the end...Salaam!

A series of heart warming stories for a change. Hope you enjoy and perhaps even learn from them..

The stranger in the Garden

Once upon a time there was a man who had a big garden. He had planted many fruit trees and cared for them till they bear fruits. Now he wanted to pick up the fruits and sell them to make money for his family.

One fine day while picking fruits with his son, the man saw a stranger sitting on the branch of a tree and picking the fruits. This man become angry and shouted, "Hey you! What are you doing on my tree? Aren't you ashamed of stealing fruits in the day time?" The stranger on the branch just looked at the gardener but didn't reply, and continued picking the fruits. The gardener was very angry and shouted again, "For a whole year I have taken care of these trees, you have no right to take the fruits without my permission so come down at once!"

The stranger on the tree answered, "Why should I come down? This is the garden of God and I am the servant of God, so I have the right to pick these fruits and you should not interfere between the work of God and his servant." The gardener was very surprised at this answer and thought of a plan. He called his son and said, "Go bring a rope and get this man down from the tree." His son brought the rope and the gardener ordered him to tie the stranger to the tree. The gardener then took a stick and started to beat the stranger. The stranger began to scream. "Why are you beating me? You have no right to do this."

The gardener paid no attention and continued beating him. The stranger screamed, "Don't you fear God, you are beating an innocent man? The gardener answered, "Why should I fear? This wood in my hand belongs to God and I am too the servant of God, so I have nothing to fear, and you shouldn't interfere with the work of God and his servant." The stranger hesitated and then spoke, "Wait don't beat me, I am sorry for taking the fruits. This is your garden and I should seek your permission before taking the fruits. So, please forgive and set me free."

The gardener smiled and said, "Since you have now realized your mistake, I will forgive you but remember that God has given all his servants brains so every person's deeds are in his own hands." Then the gardener untied him and let him go free.

The Crystal Ball

In the south of Spain, there was a small village whose people were very joyful and lucky. The children played under the shade of trees in the gardens of their home. A shepherd boy whose name was Nasir, stayed near the village with his father, mother and grandmother. Early morning each day, he takes his herd of goats up the hills to find a suitable place for them to graze. In the afternoon he would return with them to the village. At night his grandmother would tell him a story. The story of stars. This story really interested Nasir. As usual, on one of these days, as Nasir was watching his herd and playing his flute he suddenly saw a wonderful light behind the flower bush. When he came towards the branches he saw a transparent and most beautiful crystal ball.

The crystal ball was glittering like a colorful rainbow. Nasir carefully took it in his hand and turned it around. With surprise suddenly he heard a weak voice coming from the crystal ball. It said; "You can make a wish that your heart desires and I will fulfill it." Nasir could not believe that he had actually heard a voice. But he became so engrossed in his thoughts for he had so many wishes but he must wish for something which was impossible like the wish to be able to fly. He said to himself, if I wait till tomorrow I will remember many things. He put the crystal ball in a bag and gathered the herd, happily returned back to the village. He decided that he would not tell anyone about the crystal ball. On the following day also, Nasir could not decide what to wish for, because he really had everything he needed.

The days passed as usual, and Nasir appeared to be very cheerful that the people around him were amazed to see his cheerful disposition. One day a boy followed Nasir and his herd and hid behind a tree. Nasir as usual sat in one corner, took out the crystal ball and for a few moments looked at it. The boy waited for the moment when Nasir would go to sleep. Then he took the crystal ball and ran away. When he arrived in the village, he called all the people and showed them the crystal ball. The citizens of that village took the crystal ball in their hand and turned it around with surprise. Suddenly they heard a voice from inside the crystal ball, which says, "I can fulfill your wish." One person took the ball and screamed, "I want one bag full of gold." Another took the ball and said loudly, "I want two chest full of jewelry."

Some of them wished that they would have their own palace with grand door made from pure gold instead of their old houses. Some also wished for bags full of jewelry, but nobody asked for gardens in their palaces. All their wishes were fulfilled but still the citizen of the village were not happy. They were jealous because the person that had a palace had no gold and the person that had the gold had no palace. For this reason, the citizens of the village were angry and were not speaking to each other. There was not even one garden which existed in the village where the children could play. The patience of the children was running out and they were uncomfortable. Nasir and his family were happy and pleased. Every morning and afternoon he would play the flute.

The children could not wait anymore and decided to return the crystal ball to Nasir. The parents and neighbours went to him. The children said to Nasir; "When we had a small village we all were happy and joyful." The parent also spoke. In one way or another nobody is happy. The expensive palaces and jewelry only bring us pain. When Nasir saw that the people were really regretful, he said I have not wished till now, if you really want everything to return to its own place, then I will wish for it. Everyone happily agreed. Nasir took the crystal ball in his hand turned around and wished that the village become the same as it was before. Everyone quickly turned towards the village and saw it became the same old village with gardens full of trees and fruits. Once again the people started to live happily and the children played under the shade of trees. From the next day and everyday at sunset the sound of Nasir's flute could be heard in the village.

This story teaches us that we should be happy with whatever we have and not to be greedy.

The Clever Boy

A man with his donkey carrying two sacks of wheat was on his way to the market. After a little while he was tired and they rested under a tree. When he woke up from his nap he could not see the donkey and started searching for the donkey everywhere. On the way he met a boy, he asked the boy, "Have you seen my donkey?" The boy asked, "Is the donkey's left eye blind, his right foot lame and is he carrying a load of wheat?" The man was happy and said, "Yes, exactly! Where have you seen it?" the boy answered "I haven't seen it." This made the man very angry and he took the boy to the village chief for punishment.

The judge asked, "Dear boy, if you had not seen at the donkey, how could you describe it?" The boy answered, "I saw the tracks of a donkey and the right and left tracks were different from this I understood that the donkey that passed there was limping. And the grass on the right side of the road was eaten but the grass on the left was not. From that I understood that his left eye was blind. There were wheat seeds scattered on the ground and I understood that he must have been carrying a load of wheat. The judge understood the boy's cleverness and told the man to forgive the boy.

This story teaches us that we should not be quick to judge the people.

The Signs of Happiness

There was a young couple living in Denmark who led a very happy life together. The only thing that they worried about was, whether their happiness would last forever or would they too would have to face problems.

One day, they heard that a wise old man had come to town; he could solve all kinds of problems and guide people. So the couple decided to visit the wise old man and tell him their source of worry. The wise old man told them; "Travel around the world and seek a man and a woman who are perfectly happy as a couple. When you find such a couple, ask them for a piece of cloth from the man's shirt, then keep that piece of cloth with you, and you always remain happy."

The young couple began their journey, to find the happiest couple in their world. In one place they heard that the governor and his wife were the happiest people, so they went to their palace and asked them, "Are you the happiest couple?" The governor and his wife replied, "Yes, we are happy in every way except for one thing; we do not have any children." Well that didn't make the governor and his wife the happiest couple.

So they continued their journey. They arrived in one city where they had heard that the happiest couple lived. They went to their house and asked them, "Are you the happiest couple?" The couple replied, "Yes, we are really happy in every way except that we have too many children which makes our life a bit uncomfortable." No, this couple did not sound to be the happiest.

And, so they continued their journey. They visited many countries, cities, towns and villages asking the same question but they did not find what they were looking for.

One Day the young couple came across a shepherd in the desert. The shepherd was grazing his sheep when his wife and child came along. The shepherd greeted his wife and gently patted the child she was carrying. She laid the mat and started to eat contentedly. The young couple came to them and asked them, "Are you the happiest couple?" The shepherd and his wife replied, "Nobody is unhappier than the king."

The young couple immediately realized that they were the happiest couple and asked them for a piece of the shepherd's shirt, so that their happiness too would last throughout. The shepherd said, "If I give you a piece of cloth from my shirt then I will be left without any clothes since I own just one shirt."

The young couple at once understood that it is very difficult to find perfect happiness anywhere in the world. The couple decided to return to their own country. They went to the wise old man and related all that had taken place. They also complained that his guidance was difficult to abide by. The wise old man laughed and said, "Was your journey useless or did you learn something from it?" The young man replied, "Yes, after this trip I have learnt that in this world, nobody is perfectly happy, only that person is happy who does everything to please God. The wife said, "I have learnt that in order to be happy it is important to remember two things; first, all human beings should be thankful and contented with whatever they have. Second, for ultimate happiness one must always practice patience."

After that, young couple thanked the wise old man for his guidance and returned home. The wise man prayed for them and said, "Indeed the sign of happiness is in their heart and they have good manners and if the lifetime is spent in pleasure of God there would be no differences in the existence of mankind."

Zaylici   
Originally posted by Baashi:

[qb]

"Justice, courage and truthfulness have always found praise, and history does not record any period worth the name in which falsehood, injustice, dishonesty and breach of trust have been praised"

My good freind both life( human experinces) and books such as the Plato the republic, commonwealth: Cecero and many ancient books, record that jutice( understood as doing and saying what is right or givin what belongs to others or not taking what belongs to others) is not good for life, morever, unjust man profits more in this world than the just and truthfull person. The unjust man, the argument goes, gains so long as he is capable of hiding his unjust actions and intentions, for instances, for the unjust man graps power and yet pretends to be a pious or goodman in the public, while in private he murders people and accumaltes wealth, morever, he is in position to assist the poor, the men of God, in this scenerio then, he makes people happy and in the eyes of the poeple he is thought to have made the God happy too, for he does what God wants which is worship and sucrifices, whether the unjust man is in the Muslim world or in the Christian world is the same, he always acts the same and follows the same principle: hide the unjust actions and intentions, portay good actions and good intention, however, the just man never gains power and wealth because he does not want to commit attrociteies, kill people, and conquar neighbours, take the property of others, enrich himslef at the expanse of others, these are precisely, what the unjust man does at the expanse of others, thus the justman loses in this world and possible the after life as people think for he does not have resources and power to show his goodness and justice. Similarly, the truth teller never gains beautifull women, for he does not want to lie and rob wealth from others, thus the beautifull women adimres the unjust man, for he has wealth, power, and above all the capacity to tell lies and commit attrocities as the circumstances demands, the unjust man therefore, is considered to be pragmatic man, unlike the justman, he is capable of maintaining power, and expanding empire, empires grow and expand at the expanse of the weaker nations, tribes and clans, justman cannot do that, he cannot subject others because of his interest, consequently, he cannot maintain empire, since empire exists at the expanse of others, justman cannot sustain empire. This explains why even in the Islamic world, unjust man ruled more time than the just people, Muslims have been under elected rule in less than 30 yearsout of 1500 years of Muslim history( during the time of Abubakar, Omer, Osman, and Ali, although even in this 30 years there was a conflitc and civil wars between Ali and Mu'awiya) that is is less than 1% of the total time Islam existed, in other words majority of the time Muslims were under either family/dynasty rule such as Abyssids, Umuyyads, Ottomas. These families ruled Islamic world with iron fist, they made muslims subjects to their empires and they acted as they saw fit to their emppires, the good people rarely managed to chellenge these families restore a regime that is elected among the leading good people of the Muslim world, this shows, as I contend, that good people and just people are always in subordinate position and consequently seem to be inferiour in the eyes of the people, morever, they seem to be less pragmatic, less suited to the world we are living in, our world needs liers, power grappers, land grappers, unjust people, such and such people seem to survive in this sensible world,

Thus my good freind Bashi, you have mistaken to think that these high moral grounds are unquesionble, there are as shown by my argument and the argument of the ancient philosophers questionble and in some case not good to be just

Baashi   

Shaqsii thank u brother for keeping the bulletin going.

Originally posted by Zaylici:

Thus my good freind Bashi, you have mistaken to think that these high moral grounds are unquesionble, there are as shown by my argument and the argument of the ancient philosophers questionble and in some case not good to be just

Zaylici,

Sxb wlc back and thank u as well for taking the trouble of reading Sayyed Abu Al’a Al-Mawduudi’s superb article. It was not mine to begin with. May Allah grant him the Janah for he clarified many many issues for my feeble mind.

Now let me see, if I’m not mistaken you are saying that you don’t agree with him on this one. That is fine for he is a fallible man. I don’t think, however, you, and the argument of ancient sages you seem to be reading, have made the case for refuting what the author had said about this issue.

The author is making subtle but important argument that can be summarized: We humans have innate ability to distinguish between ‘good’ and ‘evil’. I agree with you sxb that nowadays good people are having hard times to do what's right and good. You are also right that there are so many innocent subjects (victims) under tyrannical rule -be Islamic imitators rulers or other rulers. Their existence is not what the author is disputing. He is rather saying that all men (women) have a tendency to despise and condemn the rulers who are unjust, lie to, and oppress their loyal subjects. Likewise, humans have inclination to like just rulers. The piece makes the assertion that the ‘fidhra’ is inline with the revealed Truth. To steal from 80 years old childless woman her retirement for the first time of one’s (thief) life, for instance, one has to struggle for finding a justification for his consciousness (inborn moral standard) would not allow him to do without it.

Finally Zaylici sxb the beauty of the piece is not just another polemic...he is getting his ‘daleel’ from the ultimate sources Quran not from Greek philosophers. And what better way to rest a case than this: “Hence in the terminology of the Quran good is called maruf (a well-known thing) and evil munkar (an unknown thing); that is to say, good is known to be desirable and evil is known not to commend itself in any way. As the Quran says: God has revealed to human nature the consciousness and cognition of good and evil. (al-Shams 91:8)”

The international debt crisis of the 1980s: A brief overview

One of the main issues of the last half of the 20th century has been the international debt crisis. What is the debt crisis? This is described as ‘the situation existing since 1982 in which the Third World has been burdened with an amount of debt which clearly cannot be paid and which has produced and threatened major financial, economic and social upheaval’ [Dictionary of Third World Terms, 1993].

The debt crisis was at first seen only as a problem affecting banks and other financial institutions. However, thanks to international campaigns such as Jubilee 2000, there has been an increase in public awareness and action regarding the detrimental effects of the crisis on the poor populations of highly indebted countries.

Factors leading up to the crisis

External factors

Flows of Capital in the 1970s

The main factor behind the international debt crisis is believed to be the sharp rise in crude-oil prices in 1973/74 and then again in 1979/80 by the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). Less developed countries needed to borrow to finance the marked increase in the price of oil imports [Altvater et al, 1988, pp.6-9].

At the same time, the new-found wealth of OPEC members, especially the Gulf States, flooded US and European banks with Petrodollars, the deposits in US dollars of oil-producing countries held in Western banks [Hadjor, 1993]. The commercial banks were under obligation to lend the excess money. Subsequently, by the 1960s-70s, Western banks had become major sources of finance for the Third World. Potential debtors were able to obtain favourable terms from private banks. Thus, because of largely unconditional credit, commercial banks became major lenders to Less Developed Countries [Altvater et al, 1988, pp.8-9].

A hike in interest rates in industrialised countries was another factor. This was mainly to finance an increase in military spending in the United States at the time. Almost simultaneously, the price of Third World exports, mainly raw materials, also began to fall due to slowed growth in industrial Countries. [Altvater et al, 1988, pp.20-21; Todaro, 1997, pp.513].

Capital Flight

Capital flight, whereby large quantities of money were slipped out of indebted countries and deposited in Western banks, was another serious problem, mainly because much of the money-transfers involved were unrecorded and illegal [George, 1998, pp.19]. Between 1976 and 1985, about $200 billion is estimated to have escaped highly indebted countries. This problem was most acute in Latin America, where capital flight was considered to be responsible for half of the debt in the 1980s. It is estimated that 62% of Argentina’s and 71% of Mexico’s debt growth resulted from capital flight. As a result, when banks made a loan, a large portion of it almost immediately returned to the bank as deposit due to government corruption [Todaro, 1997, pp.513; George, 1998, pp.19].

Other external factors included inadequate economic policies, such as unsuitable exchange rates, in debtor countries, which put pressure on balance of payments and weakened LDCs capacity to service their debt [bird, 1989, pp.118].

Internal Factors

These included the mismanagement of the loan itself or mismanagement of the economy through inappropriate government policies, such as spending loans entirely on current consumption or social investment, which didn’t offer adequate revenue for loan repayment. Government corruption, as shown by the capital flight problem, and increased military spending were also important factors. The poorest countries, especially those in Africa, were the ones who spent most heavily on arms. Also dictatorships in countries such as Chile and Argentina used external loans for the expansion of the military and police. [bird, 1989, pp.6-7; George, 1988, pp.21-23; Altvater et al, 1988, pp.9].

After large volumes of loans have been compiled, the conditions of indebtedness changed for the worse. A combination of the increase in real interest rates and the decrease in the price of exported raw materials contributed to the problem. Soon after, the accumulated debt became so overwhelming that starting with Mexico in August 1982, the indebted countries indicated they could not pay what was due and needed some form of renegotiation of their debt [Altvater et al, 1988, pp.20-27].

International response

The IMF, World Bank and commercial banks immediately began restructuring and rescheduling LDCs debts, so as to avoid potential defaults on payments and an international banking crisis. Debt reduction packages for Argentina and Brazil and the implementation of enhanced concessions in rescheduling for low-income countries were steps in a series of innovations aimed at facilitating the resolution of debt servicing problems for countries carrying out strong adjustment and reform programs [Clark and Kalter, 1996, pp.250].

Debt management strategies from the early 1980s to 1990s have included the Baker Plan (1985), the Brady Plan (1989) and the Paris Club (1996).

Baker Plan

The Baker Plan involved new capital flows to indebted countries and co-operation between the main international financiers (IMF, World Bank and private banks). In return, LDCs were expected to open up their markets to foreign competition.

Brady Plan

In 1989, US Treasury Secretary Brady proposed that official support be granted to countries to finance the restructuring of debt through packages involving a ‘menu’ of market-based debt and debt-service reduction options. One of the conditions for this support was the implementation of a ‘strong set of adjustment and reform policies’ by the debtor countries. Among the options, buybacks allowed banks to exit by selling claims back to borrowers at a discount and the repayment period on remaining debts were extended, reaching up to 30 years [Clark and Kalter, 1996, pp.250-251].

By 1994 the foreign debt problem was mostly resolved for middle-income countries. However, there were still about 41 heavily indebted countries that needed help. A debt relief plan was set up for these countries in 1996.

Paris Club

The Paris Club was an informal body made up of government representatives, set-up to negotiate with debtor nations and forgive 80 per cent of the poorest countries’ foreign debt [Clark and Kalter, 1996, pp.253-254].

Is the debt crisis over?

Almost 80 per cent of outstanding debt owed by the most highly indebted countries has been restructured. However, some analysts argue that foreign debt is still a serious problem for many countries. In addition, most of the poorest countries have seen little, if any, debt relief. LDCs still pay 15% to 20% of their exports in debt servicing. This figure is too high for states, where most of the population are undernourished and facing starvation. Debt servicing has led to the neglect of public services, which in turn has led to a subsequent decline in living standards in developing countries [Todaro, 1997, pp.518-520].

At the end of 1998, annual debt service payments from sub-Saharan Africa, the world’s poorest region, to the richest countries in the developed world amounted to $15.2 billion or 15 per cent of exports. This is an enormous amount of resources being transferred from the Third World to the First World. In many countries, up to 40 per cent of government revenue is being allocated to servicing foreign debt to the cost of health, education and other essential social services (Jubilee 2000 report). We can, therefore, argue that the debt crisis is most definitely not over for most developing countries.

~~~~~~~~

Bibliography

Todaro, M (1997) Economic Development, Addison Wesley Longman.

Clark J and Kalter E (1996) ‘Recent Innovations in Debt Restructuring’ in Jameson and Wilber, The Political Economy of Development and Underdevelopment, McGraw-Hill Inc.

Hadjor KB (1993) Dictionary of Third World Terms, Penguin.

Altvater, Hubnek, Lorentzen and Rojas, (1988) The Poverty of Nations:a guide to the debt crisis - from Argentina to Zaire, Zed

George, Susan (1988) A Fate Worse than Debt, Penguin

Bird, Graham (1989) Third World Debt: The Search for a Solution, Aldershot:Elgar

Baashi   

Many thanks Barwaaqo that was very informative piece. Not to mention how you kept your promise...I like that sis...bravo! BTW, who is the author...u?

----------

A new e-Magazine

is under discussion; join us with your contribution

I intend to spearhead a team effort to create a successful professional e-Magazine. I’m mindful the challenges that is inherent in such endeavors. To undertake such time-consuming project is not easy, to say the least. With your help (members) and with the help of SOL administration, and moderators, we can and we will succeed if we try.

The mission of this e-Magazine is to provide a platform for Somali writers, community activists, educators, watch-dog groups, and other like-minded groups to discuss, share, and promote ideas that serves the interest of Somali community everywhere. If successful, this e-Magazine will serve as Somali’s window on the world. It will publish reports, essays, poetry, art, Islamic lectures, and social commentaries for Somalis prepared by Somalis.

With this e-Magazine we will have an opportunity to speak and connect to Somalis in a way no other publication ever has. The talent, the readership, the energy, and hopefully the will are all here on SOL and it will only expand. This is one of those rare opportunities. If we mobilize all of these into positive direction and provide real leadership, soon before you know it, things will start rolling into fruition.

One way you can help is to contribute this effort. For instance, a dispatch of entrepreneurial opportunities in South Africa sent by Huganka Idealojiyada, the state of Somalis in Canada prepared by MMA, a dispatch of the challenges and opportunities faced by Somali school children in both UK and Australia posted by Ameenah and Raxmah,, satirical piece on nomadic pride in Anarchy weighed in by sage Nur, Barwaaqo’s take on women issues, and Hibo’s diary on her recent trip to Somalia etc., can cover a wide range of interests and can attract a diverse readers.

All in all, I post this to encourage the administration to follow through this idea as well as to get SOL nomads’ attention to this effort. Remember friends there is no failure except in no longer trying. Let’s try it and help us get there. Will you?

Originally posted by Baashi:

Many thanks Barwaaqo that was very informative piece. Not to mention how you kept your promise...I like that sis...bravo! BTW, who is the author...u?

Yeah, it's a paper I wrote a couple of yrs ago. I would have posted it earlier, but waxaan ka caajisayey editing it down to less than a 1000 words.

The E-magazine sounds fab. Count me in Insha'Allah.

Baashi   

^Thanks again.

Great! Sophist and Barwaaqo, I will let u know through pm when I got things in order and ready to roll. I appreciate your contribution on this...Thanks.

Baashi   

Always be patient, kind, and forgiving with kids. "Be sure before you judge. Love has a far greater value than material possessions." I'm sure many families can relate the scenario this peam is depicting.

------------------------------------------------

Writing On The Wall

A weary mother returned from the store, Lugging groceries through the kitchen door. Awaiting her arrival was her 8 year old son, Anxious to relate what his younger brother had done.

"While I was out playing and Dad was on a call, T.J. took his crayons and wrote on the wall! It's on the new paper you just hung in the den. I told him you'd be mad at having to do it again."

She let out a moan and furrowed her brow, "Where is your little brother right now?" She emptied her arms and with a purposeful stride, she marched to his closet where he had gone to hide.

She called his full name as she entered his room. He trembled with fear--he knew that meant doom! For the next ten minutes, she ranted and raved About the expensive wallpaper and how she had saved.

Lamenting all the work it would take to repair, She condemned his actions and total lack of care. The more she scolded, the madder she got, Then stomped from his room, totally distraught!

She headed for the den to confirm her fears. When she saw the wall, her eyes flooded with tears. The message she read pierced her soul with a dart. It said, "I love Mommy," surrounded by a heart.

Well, the wallpaper remained, just as she found it, With an empty picture frame hung to surround it. A reminder to her, and indeed to all, Take time to read the handwriting on the wall.

Warmoog   

Polygamy: Madness or Mercy? By Rhoda Rageh

Hybrid husbands have been returning to Somaliland in flocks, and have been marrying young belles amidst the hybrid wives' fits. Why would men -"tainted"- as my friend describes those who have lost ties with the Somali culture, choose to disband the most valuable Western influence - sacred monogamy and dive deep into indifference? Why on the other hand would wives, intellectual or otherwise, in spite of what they see as obvious wrong done to them, be shocked by polygamy? More baffling still, why would young beauties remain "unseemly" keen to please men thirty, forty or fifty years older? Is this the force of diaspora unveiling another irksome face of its obscured reality? What is behind the cult of four wives? Is polygamy madness or mercy in these times? What is the role of those relatively young intellectual Muslim first wives? Can Feminism, if not Islam offer any harmony?

The West seemed to have brought husbands and wives closer together in a way that our culture had never before. Somali fathers have become dads. They have participated in most, if not all aspects of the lives of their children. Few advantages gloated by wives in the west include husbands finding themselves inevitably as Mr. Moms. For the first time in their lives, they have walked freely into their kitchens to fetch their cereal bowls. They were able to take loads of laundry into the launderette; and have changed diapers under the watchful eyes of critical neighbors. Consequently, some have thrived in such unusual chores and have found the idea enjoyable and liberating while perhaps others might have found themselves unmanned by it. Nevertheless, if lessons of diaspora have taught us any value, they have brought the ever pleasantly estranged husbands and wives closer together outside the bedroom; and the matron optimism yearned for emotional attachment to flourish. Their forceful intertwined spaces have created false dependency especially on the wives. Disillusioned hybrid wives demand the rights of the liberated Western women but hybrid husbands seem to transmit messages of bliss at home.

Hybrid wives, unlike the "traditional enchantresses" at home, claim to have brought to the marriage more than the role of dispensable wives. They see themselves as partners. Checking accounts and conjoined mortgages have also complicated matters. Their acquiescent husbands smiled to the strange notion of equality. A hiatus from their roles as Muslim men have allowed them to lean on their wives for financial support. The good old times created by this image now thrown into the wind has violently defiled the hopes of a luxurious retirement. Confused wives now stare at the other face of Juda. If young Somali wives were traditionally submissive because of financial dependence on their husbands, hybrid Somali wives have carved more than monetary satisfaction from their husbands. They put entitlement to their most valuable assets - their bodies. After all money does not buy happiness.

Some of these hybrid men in the bliss have still young school age children in the west. The less desirable life they left behind have dug a chasm gaping widely for the attention of single partners who are being emotionally shaken by the sudden departures of their loved ones. If the life in the west that had constantly demanded attention was left forlorn, it offers no justification for their second marriages save a plunge to lewd desire. Hybrid husbands in Somaliland have turned polygamy on its head as the rationale to save Muslim women and their children. They have hung the idea and half of their families upside down. The enchantresses remain unblemished.

Young Somali girls who have survived the wars have come of age without the hope of education or valid visas to foreign lands. Their options are limited: to become prey to pleasure seeking men or secure respectable homes. What appear as enchantresses are vulnerable young girls who are trapped. The only viable and clearly most laudable option for them is marriage, albeit to an old man. They are desperate for homes and security and perhaps the desire to avoid the "old maid" adage added to their many miseries. Nobody knows their sad lots better than they under the weights of grandfatherly figures; but still better than being prey to promiscuous men they shouldn't be pitied but have to be admired for their courage. They have followed the less of two evils. Staring death in the face and defying epidemic diseases, their views of life have been tempered by the harsh realities they overcame. They are not looking for love but to look after their security with zeal and fervent vigor is a skill polished by hearts hardened by brutal indifference. They are smart but above all practical. When two young Somali beauties congratulate each other for their catch as "fart and a half," they are embracing the good and the bad with both hands and I guess nothing epitomizes their somber view of life more than that epithet. A fart violently slashing the image of endearment indicates a survival for the fittest attitude. Experience as the best teacher has taught them to think rather than feel. As one of my professors once told me. "Life is tragedy for those who feel but a comedy for those who think." Can Westernized Somali women learn from them?

Professional women as super moms also remain wives whose times and energy are constantly contravened. Professional pursuits create the guilt of deserted husbands and neglected families. Therefore, polygamy could be a blessing, which can bring to the professional Westernized women the best of both worlds. Rather than disgruntled husbands and persistent sense of guilt they could enjoy happy part-time husbands whose needs are abundantly satisfied during which time they could pursue their own happiness, discover their own inner strengths to create an aesthetic side of life. An all-incorporating philosophy could be better than one that befuddles the mind. Young vulnerable children have chosen to swallow the bitter pill of life by relinquishing some childhood dreams for a tamed reality. Why not by the ones who claim Western education?

For the past two decades Muslim men have been hunted everywhere. Many Muslim men have perished and the need for four wives has never been more pressing. If Muslim men stand up to the challenge of the imbalance between men and women, I believe Muslim women should stand back and allow them their right. Believers, both men and women have a duty to accept the challenges facing the Muslim Umma. For every bit of burning jealousy, women have to look around them and should have compassion for desperate orphans everywhere. Women solidarity even in the face of adversity is the most realistic feminism I can imagine. Whether or not the hybrid men in Somaliland fit this image of the gallant Muslim is another story but the issue of polygamy should not be taken as strife among women.

When men become polygamous to restore balance, lending them supportive hands is a duty for all serious Muslim women and reward is with Allah. If on the other hand, they become lasciviously polygamous, they do not only damage women but fitting into the analogy of the old lady with the unbearable load. They bring into the world more kids to be abandoned and Allah (swt) remains to Judge.

Rhoda A. Rageh (SomaliHome.com)

Rahmaa@yahoo.com

Baashi   

What is the "hybrid" mean in this context? Is Roda referring to a nomad of mixed origin (parents)? Is the author u Yasmine by any chance?

I will share my thoughts once the "hybrid" is clarified. Good read though. Thanks for posting.