Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

Calling all Somalians in Minneapolis/ St. Paul

Hibo   

hello- I am a photojournalist working for the Star Tribune. I am interested in telling the visual and verbal story of Somalians living in the Minneapolis/ St. Paul area. I am really interested in what kind of challenges and successes face Somalians in this area. I am new to this area and I was shocked when I was researching this topic and reading how bad many Somalians are treated here. I am looking for people to share their lives and stories with me. I want to understand what is happening here. If you would like to help in any way, please feel free to email me at Ramin17dmb@hotmail.com or call me at 612-209-2165 or 510-501-1703. Thank you and take care.

Ramin Rahimian

Ladiif   

Posted by ^^^^^"I was shocked when I was researching this topic and reading how bad many Somalians are treated here"

May ask to post or at least mention few incidents which made you shocked? Thank you.

*****reply from a concerned citizen in MN area*****

Dear Ramen,

It is wonderful that you are trying to potray the plight of somali people in mpls/ st paul area. What bothers me is that you decide to concentrate on the negative rather than the positive. After 9/11 it is harder than ever to be removed from the spotlight. Recently we have had a guy who was helping the somali community. He was a critic of the government and yet he misused the government system. I am sure he meant to help out but all it got him was recognition that placed him in the eagles eye of the FBI. Everyone is a suspect these days.

So Ramen do us a favor and let us remain in the darkness until the heat dies down. The wounds are still fresh on the country that we all moved to. I don't think u need to start poking @ it. Not to say anything negative but we as Somalis when given an inch, take a mile. My advice is to concentrate on the good things that somalis are doing in their community to help out, On the programs that help immigrants settle into their new life, on how the somali community seems to grow and bring more revenue to the city.

From a Midwest Resident smile.gif

Dhimbil   

Ramin, if you work for the Star Tribune can you provide an official email address, so nomads can help you better? thanks