Sign in to follow this  
FirstLady_Somalia

Philosophy: For the thinkers, i would like us to discuss socrates, pluto.

Sophist, Jamaal and the rest, glad to be back to the posting mode guys. My honeymoon is over and I am back with much vigor. :D .

Ogun, in the writer's world, it is not so much the verbose style of the writer that exposes his/her weakness, it is the writer's lack of a true bent for sophistication that is mostly held up to ridicule and scorn. But in this forum, it is very easy to see complaints anyway. At times you will see nomad implying that the "base character" of hebel and hebel is resurfacing because of his/her verbiage or lack thereof. I have seen cases where nomads have vituperated those who use wordy rhetoric. Other times you will notice nomads being vocal about the lack of an acute sense of phrasing in some of the posts here. The reality is that some of us aren't too keen on assauging atleast a vestige of their own anxiety about other people's works.

I have never had any problem with nomads using wordy styles or lacking it for that matter. I actually find sophist's writings, to be artful, even though sometimes archaic. He has a great acumen for giving nice anecdotes and he is, most of the time, vigilant not to sound pompous. Atleast that is the impression i got when I met him in London. As long as the nomad is not confusing the readers with arcane jargons that bolster a nonsense babbling, we shouldn't be vapid about his message, neither should we berate his efforts. We have so much to learn from each other, specially in the Camel Milk Threads forum. Let us be positive towards each other.

BTW, OGUN, I don't think Sophist was insulting the young lady.

Liqaye   

I understand your position and i am gratified at how well you put your case, as for sophist all i can say after reconsidering sincerely and honestly my postion is that he really does deserve his nickname.

"But who does more wrong than one who invents a lie against Allah, to lead astray men without knowledge? For Allah guides not people who do wrong."(6:144)

"And yet among men there are such as dispute about Allah, without knowledge, and follow every evil one obstinate in rebellion!" (22:3)

"Yet there are among men those who dispute about Allah, without knowledge and without guidance, and without a Scripture of Enlightenment!" (31:20)

And this is what philosophers do. They talk about God and the nature of human life and argue among themselves, and in the process lead people astray.

If you want to know about the nature of truth, you will find it in the Quran and the Sunnah.

Baashi   

Muslim philosophers started their adventure in defending Islam against other religions as well as other critics. They find necessery to use Greek logic/rhetoric rational as a way to prove the existence of Allah.

Al-Kindi, Al-Farrabi, and Avicenna are hailed by the West cuz they bowed to Aristotelian school and Neoplatonic 'logical conclusive decuctive' reasoning. They scrutinized Quran?Sunnah under these standards. Among subjects debated were Metaphysics and Fate. Especially 'Fate'. Except Al-Ghazali who held the preeminence of Islam and went from there to held at bay the likes of Al-Kindi, etc.

Haniif is absolutely right in saying that thier argument lead people astray.

Distinguishing philosophy from religion is an important step to stay clear of foul thoughts as some aspects of western philosophy has dealt with.... in other words, one should not take it at heart, but simply to understand "the whiteman's thoughts"...just kidding....western civilization....

Once I watched a program on PBS about the rise of the Islamic civilization. They mentioned that it was the muslims in Bagdad (during the Ottomon empire) that first translated much of Greek philosophers work from Latin to Arabic and eventually to English for the Europeans. Aint that something!! Honestly, I'm particularly interested in Islamic philosophy and I'll be looking into it very soon.

I wish I could participate in this discussion but I'm afraid am illiterate in this department. Recently though, I've found Sophie's World in my apartment and I guess its a beginner's guide to philosophy. I'll get back to you when I do finish.