Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Being and Nothingness- A true Tale of Travesty

Sophist   

Dear Vicking

Sophistication and Sophisticated are to different things—that is the way in which I have employed the words in question. Anyhow, welcome. Whether you have what “it takes” is to be seen. Here unlike Somalinet people are serious about what they write—though I sometimes try to humourise it a bit- consequently what you write would not be disregarded; but people will cling to it if they find it a bit repugnant. Objectionable posts will be questioned by those who find it so in a clean fun sort of way.

Anyhow, welcome abode and ou might enjoy your stay.

Sophist

PS: your Sage Nur is member, perhaps venture into the Islamic forum and you shall find him there insha Allah.

Hello Viking, nice to see you mate and welcome aboard the most ‘sophisticated forum’!

Well sophist, Somalinet allows all of its users to express their opinions without the fear of their posts being deleted. That is called freedom of speech my dear sophist in my book. It’s unfortunate and regrettable some of the members were abusing the freedom and the privilege that was extending to them. Furthermore, I don’t think in my humble opinion that God or the prophet needs defending from such ignorant people, thus is pointless deleting the posts of such people. By deleting their posts, you are assuring them, that they are important and deserve your attention. By the way, who gave the moderators the right to judge what is acceptable and what is not?

I don’t know how well you think you know me from the forums. But I assure you I try not offend others (as I don’t like to be offended) and I respect other people’s beliefs without necessarily believing in them. What is more, I have been around the Somalinet forum since August 2001, I have contributed less than 100 posts, and that is because I only contribute to posts that I find interesting and do this when I have the time.

On the question of, is Farah and Sophist the same person? Well I will let my mind indulge in it. But I warn you though I have a weird mind which goes into over drive; so you could save this poor soul the hassle and just give him major hints (since he is also known to be slow at best of times). To illustrate by what I mean by overdrive, I shall give you an example here.

During my undergrad at university, the lectures who taught us particle physics would come in and wave their hands around and I was lost in thought imaging what the particles looked like. From there I developed a mental picture of the subatomic world, when someone today says, a ‘pomeron’ or ‘j/psi’ I have a mental picture of these particles but this picture is completely wrong. The purpose of it though is to stop my mind from over drive! Therefore, mate my mind is in your hands!

By the way, have you read ‘Being and Nothingness’? I have tried but quit half way through since I could not understand what Sartre was on about half the time!

Just Cause

Sophist   

It is quatre past Four in the morning where I am and my mind is not at its best; consequently, I take no complete responsibility what I am about to write.

Have I read being and Nothingness? I have perused through while I was doing Philosophy as part of a degree I was reading at the time. I find the book too much of a Existentialism! It deals vaguely the ideas consciousness and free will—two areas of Philosophy which I was very much interested in at the time. Satre basis most of his conception of self-conciousness on that other Existentialist German Philosopher Heidegger. The book is dense and bloated with fllacious arguments. I would not recommend it to one who is loosely interested in Philosophy. It is boring read--- then again some may argue almost all philosophical books fall into such category.

On the membership of Somnet, I have been going there since it's inception in late 90’s. It was great place to hang out at the time. New to this western world (relatively that is); I was bemused how Somalis communicated with each other. It was delish to see the young (at time not corrupted) soul of Basra who delightfuly utilised her time rather beautifully and made us all drink from her fountain of jocularity. But since early this Century the whole place had become a hell house for the retard of our Community and men who gloat about their infidel credentials. Alas, I had to leave. This place provided me with much needed solace.

On the point of Sophist and Farah being same character, I shan’t indeed spoil the fun of seeing you grable with this interesting concep of yours—that is if it is concept at all t be hold seriously.

On Blasphemy, as much as I like to encourage free expression, there are boundaries one should not cross. One that is indeed sacred is the honour of Allah. I can not and will not stand by where Allah’s name is taken in vain. Every Muslim has a moral duty to stand against such Slur against the Almighty Allah Subhanahu Wata’ala.

Anyhow, it is late, need to hit back the books,

Cheerio

Thus Spake I

Viking   

Sophist,

Thanks for the rather chary welcome. I have already encountered Nur and it was indeed a pleasure reading his work again. I have deep respect for the brother and his work, he has made it his duty to enlighten and guide his brethren in a very humble manner - fi sabiiliLah. Somalinet misses him.

This place somehow comes across as more prudent than somalinet could have more to do with the fact that almost every other member is a moderator and less to do with it's "sophisticated" nature and superiority.

As to whether Farah and Sophist are the same person, I could only speculate on their rather striking similarities. Both...

a) Current location (UK)

b) Origin - Jidali

c) Do/did philosophy and law - at the same uni

d) Love sophistry - jargon, deceptive reasonning

e) Adore ibn Taymiyyah

Maybe it's just the somaliness in me bringing forth this hoard of paranoia.

Just Cause,

You sound like an intoxicated gnostic venturing into physics! I saw some stuff about the 'String theory' and was amazed by the idea, it sounded so out of this world. The idea of having so many dimensions parallel to ours is just mind-blowing. My line of work encompasses mainly EM. What do you think of the string theory? Is it viable? Do you think there will ever be a 'unification'?

PS: Here's one link to the 'number 19 code' we discussed some time back.

http://www.islamicproductions.com/19-chemistry.htm

Sophist   

vicking, speculation is good so long as it does not cross certain boundaries!

False deceptive argument! uum that does sound something of a sophistry-- perhaps you are decoding the definition of Sophistry and linking me to it! in any case carry on speculating.

Thus Spake I

Hi Viking,

Most of the string stuff is out of this world for the simple reason none of it can be tested with current experiments. I hate all of these extra dimensions and in string theory you get the normal four (three space and one time—or four space-time as it should be called) plus at least five more. These extra dimensions are very small and hence the reason why we never notice their effect. These days the High Energy Physics (HEP) experimentalists especially those at CDF Chicago Fermi Lab are trying to measure the effect of these extra dimensions since their centre of mass energy is in the region 2 TeV (or 2 billion electron Volt of energy).

What they are doing at CDF is look for events with large missing energy and so far, they have not found any excess. However, they have set limits with 95% confidence level, in the other words excluded certain sizes.

Let me go back and start the story from the beginning! In modern particle physics we have a model known as the Standard Model (SM) and this model explains almost all of the stuff that has been observed so far. Having said that we know the SM cannot be the end of physics for the simple reason it has too many free parameters, which we don’t understand. Even more weirder we have 12 fundamental particles split into two families known as quarks and leptons (each family has six particles plus their anti-particle). Why six, we don’t know. Are there more particles, we don’t know!

To confuse matters even further, in the late 90s people starting observing high energy isolated leptons (leptons consist of electrons, muons and tuas, plus their neutrino partners—hence six leptons). For the muons, so far, seven events of this type have been observed and our beloved SM only predicts less than two of these events. When one works out the probability of seeing seven events when you only expected two at most you get an answer of roughly 8X10^-4 . We cannot be claimed discovery yet for technical reasons but an explanation is needed for this bizarre observation. In the electron channel, we only have small excess, which could be explained away. For the Tau channel, well we are not very good at measuring them due to high backgrounds involved.

Thus because of the incompleteness of our SM, we are imaging all these far-fetched theories—string theory, BSM (Beyond Standard Model), Super-Symmetry and their likes. Everyday you hear new theory even theorists are losing tracks let alone us the experimentalists who are meant to verify these theories. Just today during lunch someone was saying they met this famous theorist and he told them he is leaving physics for Biology cause the world of physics is gone crazy!

To conclude, I cant decide whether string theory is the answer to our problems. For the simple reason it cant be verified at the moment, in the next five years however we will know whether there is any physics beyond the standard model or not (The biggest experiment ever will be ready). The other major problem I have with string theory is it needs a lot of complicated maths just to explain stuff we could get away with couple of lines of Algebra! Have you heard of the saying, if there are two theories that explain exactly the same thing take the one that is simple and therefore I will stick with SM! On the question of unification, I will post more tomorrow if you want me to continue ranting. For now it will suffice to say we are not anywhere near the end of the end road and maybe the mystery never ends!

Tired of ranting,

Just Cause

P.S. What do you do Viking? You said EM in your post, do you mean electromagnetic? Does that then mean you are an electrical engineer?

Viking   

Just Cause,

I think the theorist who moved to biology was a wise man/woman. Physics is indeed crazy. My field involves some EM, röntgen and gamma; diagnostic radiology. It's biology with some elements of physics. I would like to hear more about your thoughts on 'unification' but keep it short and clear, we have hijacked Sophist's thread and changed the track.

Sophist, appologies mate!

Athena,

You are most welcome, am glad you liked it.

And they brought you back. that is funny. do they just ban people for no reason. Viking welcome back agian. I know you from somalinet and you are not a troublsome person..I wonder why they ban you at first.