Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Memoirs of Geisha

STOIC   

Last night I went to the movies. It’s been a while since I been to the movies. There were many movies to choose; from King Kong to Syrianna. Since I was a companied by a lovely lady, I had to be careful not to choose a boring movie that may spoil the spirit of the night. We decided to settle for Memoirs of Geisha. It’s a story based on a fictional novel that was written by Arthur Golden. I have never read the novel. The movie is a story about hurdles in life, betrayal, success and secret lovers. This is a story about women who will never be able to achieve their happiness. It is a story set in early Japanese society of Geisha’s life. Young girls are sold to the sprawling Geisha lifestyle in Japanese city.

A young girl will be sold to a Geisha household that was investing in woman’s looks. The young girl whom the story revolves around is confused about what Geisha lifestyle is all about not knowing that it is the Geisha lifestyle that will save her life! The young girl will attempt to run away to join her sister who also was working as a Geisha in one of the neighboring Geisha houses. When the escape plan fails the young girl will be demoted to a slave. All her hopes of becoming a Geisha will collapse. One day while she was sank into a deep thoughts about her life she happens to meet a man who will treat her to a sweat. This man will become her secret lover and above all her encouragement to be a Geisha!

The young girl will be taken by another Geisha who promised to transform her and make her one of the most celebrated Geisha of the city. Under the direction of this new Geisha, she is being trained and taught the rules of the Geisha game. She happens to catch the attention of a rich industrialist who happens to have a great dislike for Geisha! Her name will be changed to Sayuri. She will now become the object of competition between the men of the city. Every man wants to be the highest bidder. The war comes and ends her lifestyle of being a Geisha. Americans will arrive with their naïve conception of foreign culture. Sayuri and her friend Pumpkin (another Geisha) will try one more time if they can become a Geisha once again. This will lead to reunion of the secret lovers and revenge from Pumpkin loses of Geisha to Sayuri during the pre-war era.

PS Good movie.......

Pacifist   

One of my all time fav Books. Arthur Golden did a daring thing really. This book has been on the NYtimes bestseller since I can remember. When I first read this book in 1998. I personally love it. I haven't watched the movie yet but I have heard not so good reviews. As always though books are always greater than the movies with its vast details and imagery.

Well alas will see it tonight inshallah.

Seems good story, I never read the book but I will make the effort to see the Fillm, Even though I don't like these kind of films the story seems a tad intresting!

Stoic, so do you reckon your day was not spoiled?

Katrina   

Stoic, I'm going to kick your @ss!! :mad: :mad:

I've been excitedly waiting for the release of this movie for a few months. I finally got a chance tonight but guess what? I came across your Ebert review an hour before movie time. :D You gave away tooooooooo much. :D In particular Pumpkin's betrayal. I spent the whole movie anticipating when, where and how Pumkin would strike.

A symbol of elegancy and eternal beauty. A geisha will never be more than half a wife. The scene by the lake btwn the two lovers was distrubing. I couldn't move beyond the age difference to enjoy the sensuality and touching moment when they reveal their undying love for each other. How does a man at least 3 times older find a 9 year old pre-adolesent attractive, yuck!!

It was a good movie. It remainded me of a Japanese series I loved watching religiously in my yonder years called Oshin. It's about a little poor girl who eventually becomes the owner of a big supermarkert chain in Japan.

The "eel in the cave" comment had me cracking up. :D This Japanese metaphor conveys the actual event much better than the 'bird and the bees' metaphor. I can just see it now...a withered eel and a cobweb cave. Ooooh, you Somalis hurry up and give xalimos and faraxs a chance. :D

STOIC   

I am so sorry for any inconvenience that my little review caused. I had no intention to deprive you the ability to configure the movie for yourselves. I had initially written the synopsis for my blog. At first i thought the movie was one of those movies that may require a box of klenex next to me but no it wasn’t one of those movies(Indian movie fans knows this, god I hate Indian movies!).Since Pacifist had read the book; I hope she will tell us more.

Tukale, Rule of thumb number one ; do not ever take a lady to the movies and then force her to watch what you like.If it was my choice i would have watched Syriana or any action packed movie.The night wasn't spoiled infact we thought it was a very happy and delighted moment :D

Modesty   

I seen this movie when it first came out. I loved it because for one it wasn't r-rated, and the story was very different than most typical Hollywood movies. However, the movie was very long, I wanted it to end so badly when I noticed my rearend was glued to the seat and I couldn't movie. Anyhow, I would suggest this movie to all. Plus, it didn't make me cry as I thought it would :D

Castro   

Aren't Geishas, essentially, glorified prostitutes? I never quite understood the fascination with Geishas. I guess a prostitute in my mind would wear less clothes.

STOIC   

Castro, The fascination with Geisha lifestyle is like wearing that Old pajama in your wardrobe.You love this Pajama .It keeps you snugly soft but you will never be caught dead wearing it in the presence of your friends since it has a hole between the edges. So Castro, you have to enjoy the Pajama in your private time to understand the fascination with Geisha's lifestyle! :D .

Castro   

^ Saaxib STOIC, I'm afraid to ask what this analogy with the pyjamas means. :D

Seriously though, Geisha are prostitutes and I find it very interesting they enjoy an "honor" of sorts that non Japanese hookers seem to miss out on.

STOIC   

Castro, if you might let me borrow some words from Wikipedia, “Strictly speaking, geisha are not prostitutes. Because they entertain men behind closed doors in an exclusive manner, there has been much speculation about the underpinnings of their profession. The confusion that surrounds this issue has been complicated by Japanese prostitutes who wish to co-opt the prestige of the geisha image, and by inaccurate depictions of geisha in Western popular culture. Although an individual geisha may choose to engage in sexual relations with one of her patrons outside of the context of her role as geisha, traditional and codified geisha engagements will never involve sexual activityâ€.

I think Geisha’s are like an old pajama that keeps your body soft, smooth and trigger happy! There is one catch though; just like the tattered pajama, you and I might love the company of these women in the absence of our spouses and children. The analogy was meant to picturing something you love at the same time you might not want it to be public. I think Geisha’s are for pure entertainment and not for a prostitute work but at the same time it is not on the top of our MORALITY priorities!

Edited:

Castro   

^ So Geishas are the look but don't touch, touch but don't taste and taste but don't swallow (no bun intended :D ) type of hookers, eh?

STOIC   

Castro, ever heard "some cause happiness wherever they go;others whenever they go".I think Geisha's are the former while the rest of the hookers are the later :D

So Geishas are the look but don't touch, touch but don't taste and taste but don't swallow (no bun intended ) type of hookers, eh?

PS You made me laugh hard till my cousin thought i was about to go crazy!

Castro   

^ Heh. That line is actually not mine but borrowed (with minor modification) from my favorite movie, The Devil's Advocate with Al Pacino. I am hereby giving the proper credit. :D

STOIC   

^^^Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they can never ceased to be amused ;So am gonna have to laugh at myself since I haven't watched that movie :D .

PS Thanks for giving credit where its due!