Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

QAAT

Hibo   

Qat! SOme home truths.. smile.gif

A new research on miraa (a stimulant leaf chewed in Eastern Affrica, the Horn and Yemen, also known as qat, khat or chat) shows that it contains a chemical (cathinone) which affects the central nervous system.

A new research on miraa shows that it contains a chemical (cathinone) which affects the central nervous system.

Research at the University of Nairobi, says that, cathinone in miraa, affects the production of a chemical responsible for human behaviour like sadness, well being, and dopamine which triggers pleasure, elation and happiness.

Cathinone stimulates excessive production of dopamine chemical than is needed in the brain. Researchers say that high accumulation of dopamine in the nervous system causes hallucinations, bizarre thoughts, schizophrenia, high blood pressure, increase in respiration, lethargy, mild depression, nightmares and alertness.

Says a senior lecturer at the Department of Medical Physiology, University of Nairobi, Professor Nilesh B. Patel: "Miraa has properties that affect the chemical level in the human brain." These stimulative substances provide strong inducements for the user hunger for the daily supply and to maintain long miraa chewing periods, especially as tolerance develops with regular use. This indicates development of dependence in the user.

A research conducted by the United Nations Narcotic Laboratory in 1975, indicates that miraa grown in Kenya contains the highest concentration of cathinone-14 per cent , compared to miraa from Yemen, Madagascar and Middle East that had between 0.9-3.3 per cent of cathinone.

"Cathinone has the molecular structure similar to that of amphetamine that is known to be taken by athletes because of its ability to stimulate excessive release of dopamine. Excess dopamine in the nervous system causes breakdown of the enzymes and a crash in the functioning of the brain," says Prof Patel.

Long journey drivers and watchmen prefer chewing miraa in order to stay awake, a situation only possible after the functioning of the nervous system has been interfered with by cathinone.

Miraa causes decreased food consumption and loss of body weight. It is also suspected to have negative side effects on the reproductive functions of people who use it.

Prof Patel says that withdrawal signs (from miraa use) are minor laziness, mild depression, nightmares and slight tremor. He says that physical dependence is not considered a major factor.

Asked if he knows that miraa might be harmful to his health, Patrick Mbogori, 36, says that he has 16 miraa trees, has chewed miraa since he was 14 years, and he has 4 children and is healthy.

"What I can confess is that I lack sleep after chewing miraa. I am also always alert. This helps me guard my trees against thieves at night. There is also this instant erection which does not die easily," he says.

For Dennis Mutabari, a miraa seller in Nairobi's Eastleigh: "I stopped chewing miraa two years ago, after my health started deteriorating. I used to spend many nights awake, felt thirst always, and craved for sex, but miraa is known to fire sexual desires, but kill performance when it comes to the action!" he says.

Prof Patel says that there is no known reason why sex drive is high to some miraa chewers and low to others, but opinionates that concentration of cathinone and accumulation of dopamine are some of the known reasons.

"Again it depends with the type of miraa chewed, the stage of maturity of the twigs and the individuals chewing it," he adds.

Currently, Kenyan scientists at the University of Nairobi, and their counterparts at the Institute of Primate Research, (IPR) Karen, in Nairobi, are experimenting miraa on rats, and male baboons.

The rationale behind experimentation on baboons is to find out whether their reproductive functions are affected.

The administration of miraa on rats was aimed at finding out their behaviour and especially performance of the brain system. Preliminary experimental results shows that miraa affects the rats locomotion, and increases the frequency of head shakes, meaning that various parts of the brain controlling these functions are affected by cathinone found in miraa. Miraa in Kenya is grown largely in Meru. The highest percentage is produced in Meru - North. Apart from high source of income that accrues from exporting miraa to Somalia, Ethiopia, Yemen and other countries where it is consumed, it plays a vital role in the traditional and cultural roles among Ameru, especially during marriages.

Miraa is legally recognized and grown in Kenya. Miraa trees grows to a height of upto 25 meters. It is also known in other names as: khat and veve in Kenya, qat in Yemen, eschat in Ethiopia, and scientifically as Catha Edulis.

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

Hibo   

no wonder all the mooryaan look like drug addicts. well i think qaat is what destroyed us(somali) as a nation, society, and economically. but i have no idea what is the solution.thank Alaah women do not chew that thing.

Hibo   

Strange as it may seem Sis I think women are getting on the band wagon too. Infact Im starting to think that the number of women chewing and remarkably toothless is on the increase. For your info. women do chew agreat deal.

------------------

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

ONKOD   

It is very sad to see a whole nation wiped away with a drug that seems to be getting more and more popular every day.

It always wise not to start any type of a drug because it seems that with all the research they have done on qat, they found out that you need to be rehabilitated just like cocaine addicts in order for someone to quit the drug for good. So far I know several ppl that died for the complications of qat.

Ilaahey ha soo hanuuniyo ummadda.

Hibo   

I live with the freedom of Khat/Jaad, who should have to take it out from me? let people do what they want is the centeral part of my themes if another campaign againest jaad emerges from somaliya.

Hibo   

Once again Caydiid I didnt write the episode to attack you on your vices (Khat eating). I just thought it would educate a pple who chew green leaves that are in a way harmful to their livelyhood. I thought anyone who likes reading about Qaat and what its effects are would reaaly appreciate it.

------------------

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

Ashwaq   

Shaqsii:

I know majority of people with some "vices" as you put it will not likely to take a lesson from your post. Just look at the smokers in this country, they have seen what cigerate does to the lungs, how many people died each year of some smoke realated illness, yet they puff away. What makes you think people will stop chewing just becuase you posted something. lol

I think cigarete is ten times worse then chaq/khad/jad. At least the person who is chewing is only harming him/herself. I have yet to see a chaq chewers fighting amoungs themselves. They are mellow like those who smoke pot. well, yuck and double yuck I should say to smokers.

Hibo   

Ashwaaq sis..

My intention wasnt to make anyone stop chewing rather to just enlighten people on what it does and the side effects. Ofcouse alot of my folks chew but they use it in the right manner which is chew on weekends, look after your responsibilities, work hard and never to forget your loved ones if any. Qaat used properly would probably be enjoyable but when abused would create monsters who wouldnt be able live when not chewing.

It is afree world sis so if someone wants to chew, smoke or even drink thats their prerogative. Its no skin off my nose but probably theirs. I think there is more to life than just make qaat afull-time obsession.

------------------

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

Sister Ashwaq:

Although I am proud to say that I never smoked cigarettes or chewed Qaat, I must say that I disagree with you in saying that cigarettes are ten times worst than Qaat, I think they are both social diseases that are equally bad.

Qaat does have a greater impact on the quality of life of the people who chew it as well as their families. Just my own biased opinion (Qaat chewers do NOT get mad at me now lol) towards Qaat since I will always believe it is the reason behind the pr-mature sudden death of my older brother at the age of 35.

Keep hope alive

Hibo   

Shaqsi, nice topic, very educational indeed...Its rather shameful of us somalis to claim we don't do drugs yet, Qaat is considered as a socially accpeted addiction.

Women chew Qaat worst than men, these days,And i am sad to confess that I did witness many of whom i considered as female friends jump onto the wagon as u put it. It has indeed affected my friendship with them, for somalis tend to think of u as the way they think of ur friends. Nevertheless, I am in a champaign now, to form Somali Student origanization in my school, I think only then can we enlighten our society of its dark practices, and educate those that r ignorant of its effects.

Ashwaaq: U think Qaat chewers don't have any effect on anyone but themselve? Well u r wrong sis, how many homes are ruined just b/c of that? How many children have lost their integrity n the thought of their parents being role models to them? Do u know what the statistics prove? It proves that the percentage of children who do drugs, includingqaat, cigrettes, marijuana etc, is 100 times more than the children who r not under such conditions.

So we can't justify, the notion that the chewer is only harmful to him or herself, rather innocent children r at stake as well.

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress

Ashwaq   

Hello Hibo, Shaqsi and Motorcycle.

Motorcycle sorry to hear about your brothers death, my condolence to you and yours.

All three of you seems to be on the same page about this chat/khad issue, however I am not with you on this one.

Some people of my family have been chewing chat for a long time, and yet they were part the productive society back home and still are here in diaspora.

Chad has develop a bad reputation throught out the years, let us say the last 20 yrs, every since the religiose group and XHKS agree that Khat is a social disease. why not heap all the blame on this harmless, defenseless leave eh. In the nineties the media CNN, times, week etc, anyone who wanted to explain our plight blame yet again on chad. But that is not true.

Have you ever thought maybe why some men and women chose to chew it day in and day out here in the diaspora might be maybe they are suffering from some psycological problem. There is something call postwar syndrome. Maybe they are suffering from that and too depress to do anything else but sit at home. Normally, when someone is depress it is hard for them to get out off bed. they needed to kill the time, what was available to them but chad, drinking drugs. They choose the lesser evil.

Chad has became for them something to help them scape reality, they have a support group, bunch of other depress people sitting in one smokey room. They are listening to music and lol all night long- all that fun who wants to deal with the harsh reality of life eh.

Before I blame chat anything, I would rather examine what other problems are facing our society. If you remember Somalia, chad chewing became vogue when the unemployment skyrocketed. When you see recession, you also see an increase of mental health diseases.

I hope I am making sense, this place I am at is noisey. smile.gif walaahi I can think st8.

Hibo   

shaqsi

thanks for the informative article.

Ashwaq

You tryed to explain your reasons but further more you prove all the reasons why qat is social desease. Your theory is if someone is having problems they should escope reality and chew qat, now how is that a solution? if someone is going through postwar syndrome or any other psychological promblems, it will make sense for them to seek help and go to medical center or masjid. Qat has a reputation of breaking down families & lowering self-esteem, and i am not talking about last 20yrs, historicly speaking. I think if u need to kill time there is so many things u can do that are not dambi & are healthy, peace.

safi   

Salamu alaikum,

I don't think we need to kill time, or pass time by chewing Qat.

--------------------------------------

Wal Casri inal insaana lafi khusri

Ila ladeena aamanu wacamili saalixaati

wa tawaso bi al xaqi wa tawaaso bi al sabri.

Surah: Al Casr. (Time)

--------------------------------------

The greatest impedement to doing away with Qat in Somalia is that people don't think it's haraam. So what we need here is for the ulama to tell the common people about the truth of Qat.

Qat is a drug, perhaps not as strong as cocaine, but it's bad influence on our society is there for all to see. In my last trip to Somalia I saw a woman Qat seller almost beat up a man with a dagger. The poor man had borrowed Qat from the woman and couldn't pay up in time.

Safi

Baydan   

Shaqsi

Thanks for confirming what my sensible mind have always suspected. Commonsense used to tell me that a person just doesnt waste atleast six hours of his time chewing & spitting testeless CALEEN. Ofcrouse they're getting their times worth...freaking drugists.

Ashwaq   

Illmatic Hi,

I explained why people chew Chad, but never have I suggested that it a good thing for them to do. We seem to forever blaming chat for broken homes,failed relationships, for our country go to pieces, for the young Moryaan/Dayday/jirri's action.

There is a saying that goes if you misdiagnose the problem, you mistreat the problem, therefore it never goes away.

I am not an ADVOCATE for chatchewing, all I am saying is when will we come to the realization our problems have nothing to with chatchewing.

We must first examine why our people chew the chad, as I said it is to scape from something. The day Somalis face their problem, is the day they will be free of this chad thing.

I thank People like Shaqsii for bringing this kind of topics. but I wish there were some studies done on why people chose to chew Chad.