Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

DOES KHAT CAUSES MENTAL ILLNESS ??

Researchers call for more evidence on whether khat causes mental illness

Jun 04 2007 - More evidence is needed to prove widespread concerns that the stimulant khat, which is popular among some Somali, Yemeni and Ethiopian immigrants to the UK, causes psychiatric disorders, researchers said yesterday.

A study by Queen Mary, London, University College, London, and Kent University found that khat appeared to exacerbate existing psychological problems but there was no clear evidence indicating chewing it caused mental ill health.

The report, published in the journal Social Science and Medicine, called for more research into the social and psychological impact of khat, which is legal in the UK but banned in Europe, America and Canada.

here

me   

Yes Khat causes mental illnesses, the damn thing should be banned.

Pujah   

banning qat didn't stop the many people spending 50-80 dollars every weekend on this stimula

me   

But the number of people regularly using Jaad it has been dimished.

Pujah   

Psychological sequelae of chewing khat

Chewers report their subjective experiences of khat use in a positive way when consuming small amounts. They describe a feeling of well-being, a sense of euphoria, excitement, increased energy levels, increased alertness, increased ability to concentrate, improvement in self-esteem and an increase in libido. Also experienced are an enhanced imaginative ability and capacity to associate ideas, an improvement in the ability to communicate and a subjective improvement in work performance. After chewing ceases, unpleasant after-effects tend to dominate the experience: insomnia, numbness, lack of concentration and low mood. Some chewers also experience unpleasant effects during the chewing process, describing anxiety, tension, restlessness and hypnagogic hallucinations.

Objectively, chewers can be seen to show a range of experiences, from minor reactions to the development of a psychotic illness. Minor reactions include over-talkativeness, overactivity, insomnia, anxiety, irritability, agitation and aggression.

Broadly,
the main psychiatric manifestations linked to the use of khat are a short-lived schizophreniform psychotic illness, mania (Yousef et al, 1995) and, more rarely, depression (Pantelis et al, 1989).
On occasions these presentations are associated with episodes of self-harm or harm to others. Owing to the mode of consumption, the dose of khat tends to be self-limiting, unlike amphetamines, which are available in a pure form for oral or parenteral administration. Therefore toxic psychosis as a result of excessive use is much less frequent with khat than with amphetamines.

Adverse effects of khat: a review

chubacka   

May Allah rid us of this evil, it causes nothing but problems within families.

Prob wid Somali men (at least ones i know) is that they dnt know what moderation means. Chewing every nyt and sleeping the whole day is crazy. An there are lots of men, with families that do that.

I hope the UK sees the light and bans this awful thing...neone know of any petitions I can sign or groups that campaign for this?

chubacka I want to know about petitions also.Lakiin are they (the gov) not making crazy ££ on the taxes they recieve through trade/imports?

They really need to understand that alot of these excessive grazers are unemployed and are nocturnal.How can anyone even attempt to better their quality of life if they sleep during the day and do nothing beneficial during the night apart from graze like cows?

Paranoia is also linked with excessive chewing...maybe because they have so much time to think things through whilst on their mirqaan?

Whatever the case when khad decides WHEN you can and cant sleep and how you deal with those around you it needs to GO.

Malika   

Chubaka,

A couple of years ago a Somali womens group was campaigning for the substance to be banned,it got to the parliment,but with no results.

If we make enough noises,I am sure the goverment will review the case for banning Khat in UK.

I have first experience of the devostation caused by Khaat to families.It just destroys the coreness of a family structure, if the husband is awake all night,chilling with his homies,negleting his wife etc etc.During the day where others are out working for their families the men are asleep,negleting to provide for their families,and am sure they are not doing any constructive parenting either.... what a waste of a life!,no wonder there is a high divorce rate in the community.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Puuja:

banning qat didn't stop the many people spending 50-80 dollars every weekend on this stimula

Note: It's illegal in the States, but actually legal in the UK, where mr. me resides .

Originally posted by Puuja:

The problem is that blanket bans dont work. First, its wrong to say conclusively that qaad causes mental illness, statistically there may be a high correlation between chewing and mental illness, but that does not imply causality.

It ignores the more complex and often unmeasurable relationship between the appeal of qaad and the mental state of the individual. There are many more people that chew but are not mentally ill.

Prohabition just doesnt work, all it just creates back markets and inflates price, which in return attract criminality that distributes the problem and product efficiently .. look at the American alcohol prohibition in the 30's and the crack trade in 80's, in short bans just don't work.

There is a reason why people subject themselves to the conditioning required to become an addict. An interesting example here is heroin addiction, were a treatment center in Switzerland which gave free heroin alongside treatment to addicts had according to officials an astounding 70% success rate and its being copied across europe.

.. anyhow wrt qaad this would require caring about the heath of qaxooti.

chubacka   
Originally posted by Munira002:

[QB] Chubaka,

A couple of years ago a Somali womens group was campaigning for the substance to be banned,it got to the parliment,but with no results.

Go Somali women! I think we have to do someting in the UK otherwise more and more men will continue in this way, families will continue to suffer and its jst not fair on anyone.

I dnt think the men feel particularly proud of what they are doing, I am sure they can see the effects their behaviour is having on their families.

Perhaps a ban will help them wake up. Who knows i say its worth a try.

The funniest is when men come to your house to chew coz they ain't allowed to chew at home and they know as they get their little plastic blue bag out that you will only stare politely on as they peel their twigs and make meaningless conversation for what seems like hours on end....Hlp :(

FatB   

does khat course metal illness. yes, how els would you explain an entire population of people how have the same culture, religion, language and customs, but hate each other so much that they wage a 17 year war!!

Originally posted by Mj: Red Sea:

Note: It's illegal in the States, but actually
legal
in the UK, where mr.
me resides

Are you suggesting what I think you are suggesting? :D Hoosta aala isku gilinaa ka waran. Maalin caddeey.

Jaad uma baahno aqoonbaaris in uu ibtilo iyo balaayo baas ku haayo Soomaalida, ha noqoto dhaqaale, mid caafimaad, burburka qoyska, wasting countless hours wax lagu qabsan lahaa iyo wixii lamid ah. Few chew it responsibly, on weekends only. Kuwaas too dhaqaalahooda meel bilaash ah ugu qasaareen. I am against this coos -- yes, it is crassy grass -- primarily for the simple reason making Soomaali men addicted to it and the dollars ending not to another Soomaali jeeb, but a shisheeye, ugu daranba Keenyaati iyo Xabashi pockets.

To those wannabe Carabs iyagana bahalkaas shiishaha la dhaho u jeestay, waxba ma dhaamaan kuwa jaadka cuno, especially the girls who think it is cool to do that.

Both groups wasting countless hours sitting and dollars, not to mention mouth cancer. I would rather tolerate a jaad-chewer than a shiisha-smoker, particularly if she is girl, at least jaad is assumed to be a cultural and is mainly chewed by men.