Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Childhood Memories (Somalia)

Whenever I think back to when I was 6 and younger and living in Somalia - my memory is in patches and blurred. I am surprised when people say they have vivid memories to as back as when they were 3 years old (is it possible or are they pulling my leg?). The clearest one was walking for hours in the desert in Shalambood with my uncle and then coming across the ocean sparkling in the distance. It was beautiful and a great place to rest after the exhausting journey. I wonder how my neighbourhood looks now - heard it was bulldozed to the ground.

So, what's your best/happiest childhood memories and are there any that stand out?

Mowgli   

I never got the chance to live in Somalia, but visited a couple of times...my most vivid/best memories were when I was chewing on qasab and getting up to lots of micheif with my brothers :D I also remember how beautiful and full of stars the sky was...need i mention the size of my palm flying barambaros *shuddering*

It is possible to have memories at a young age, my earliest memory was when I was about 2

Nura   

generally people tend to have very limited memory from the age of 0 to 5 years. However there is nothing stating early memories can not be retrived.

My earliest memory was from the age of 3 and was of course when i was in somalia. There are too many good memories to say like going to the beach, eating together with the whole of the family both my grandmas and granddads, the busy market its heat and noise. in hindsight everything is sweeter.

i miss everything and it would have been good to grow up surrounded by all that (without the conflict)but you know what they say the grass is always greener on the other side.

raula   

Hecuba i am also in "memory relapse" predicament. Some say i can't remember much when i was young..about 2-3yrs old. In my old town GARBAHAAREY. I dont think it was huge but i remember walking sometimes to our "HOTEL"(restuarant) in the mornings with mom.

Speaking of QASAB-oh how juicy-especially when u uproot them right then from the farm. In our backyard in remote village of Kenya we used to eat qasab every saturday afternoon right on the hill behing our house.

N'ways good ole' memories-plenty of them to be cherished.

-Lily-   

I remember going on rides with my siblings and my dad around the city, loud traffic, the leather seat sticking to your legs because it was so hot. Going around a roundabout with statues? Possibly a man on a horse as my mum says but I can't be certain it was that particular statue. Going to eat out after school on Thursdays, I was 5 and in year one. The front gate of our house, the tiles and the beds that were in our rooms.

Also visiting 'Afgooye' on fridays, but I don't know if that was park or what it was, I do however remember clearly what brilliant coloured birds there were, some with gold and electric green bodies. Bits and pieces, and the colour of the beach.

Going to the country side for school breaks. I remember the red sand, the huge mountains & hills, and the horrible food and wishing we were back home. It's strange what you remember.

Funnily enough, I have quite a lot of memories from my early childhood (unlike the more recent past). Although I have some visual memories, what I remember most are feelings and thoughts.

I remember bits and pieces from the house I was born in…being upset and weeping as my mother took me to nursery, listening to my aunt telling a story and feeling excited…

I remember the move to our new house in the outskirts of medina when I was three…sprinting through empty rooms and listening to my shouts echoing… the birth of my sister and feeling agog with jealousy and rage at all the attention and gifts she was getting…

I vividly remember how much I loved my favourite uncle, my dad’s youngest brother, feeling ecstatic at his arrival and inconsolable at his departure. Feeling sick and scared on my first day at the local malcaamad and school…

I remember feeling really worried when my father didn't get home on time, refusing to eat supper and waiting up for him...I also remember dad holding me by the ankles, and threatening to chuck me down into one of those hole-in-the-ground outdoor toilets for smacking my sister and cracking her lip...

I remember my mum being pregnant and the arrival of another sister when I was around five, remember feeling fascinated by the new baby and wanting to hear her cry over and over again (had to smack her a few times too :D )...

I would go on...but you might see me for the monster I use to be! redface.gif

Zafir   

^^ tease. :D

I remember almost everything vividly, I remember I was 6, one friday my dad took us all kids to Jaziira beach, and took up on him self to teach me how to swim with out me knowing it or even consulting it with me. He takes me on his back and swims away from the shore and I am having the time of life going on this sweet ride, I look back and saw everyone at shore shrinking the distance we have come, I am little terrified, but glad am in good hands, or so I thought.

My dad turns around, put me on his chest and says “Aaabo, you take over from here, I’ll see you at shore†and disappeared in front of my eyes. Oooh the feeling, I had to literally fight for every single breath I took, until now I do not know how I ended up all the way at seashore. I do however; remember the splashes, the crying, biyo cabitaankii, and the roughly drowning to death though.

I remember thinking, how cruel can one human be to his offspring, could be have burnt you in the house while you were asleep if he wanted to get rid of you. I remember not speaking to him for weeks, during that week I was the sick child in the family, (you know, the sick one always gets all the attention and what they say goes) I got treated as if I was a real prince, (not that am saying I ain’t :D ) he would get me gifts everyday when he came home, take me to Kilometer 4 for burgers in the evenings.

But we have a heartfelt conversation after words and I forgave him. He eagerly wanted to make a geeljire out of his chubby son in one day. :D

Thought I would share it..I actually have more.

Zafir   

^^Heey, I am three greeljire in one now. :D Old man's dream did finally come true. ;) I am everything but adorable. I am danger. :D

Cara.   

SOL should start having an "ignore" feature.

The earliest memory: I got sick and had to have that bit of dangly flesh at the back of my throat removed. I remember feeling so enraged and betrayed. I would've murdered someone if I could. I've never felt that angry since.

Got sick again, this time a stomach-ache: same bloody witch doctor suggests burning the skin on my belly will somehow heal me. I overheard and snuck away and it took two days to find me. I remember hiding in this abandoned hut and hearing my mother call to me. I wanted so badly to go to her but I knew better. Hunger finally won out though :(

Another memory: my mother used to go on long trips, I remember standing at the window watching her recede into the distance. I found out that if a person was far enough away, you couldn't tell whether they were going away or moving closer. That's how I learned to lie to myself.

Naden   

I have faint but frightening memories of the mentally ill in Xamar. This particular gentleman stood with a brick in each fist running a one-man toll in the street. You give him a few shillings and he spares you a few thousand in window repair damages. I remember cringing as my brothers and I sat in the back of the car glaring at him with fear. Part of me wanted to see him smash a window at least once. Anything would have been better than those long, boring, sticky summer days of BLAH.

I almost got killed by a truck once running across the street because his macawiis dropped and he had no knickers. It was all too hideous for my 8 year old brain, even with growing up with 3 brothers. I can still hear his demonic laugh. :eek:

Dhubad.   

I remember playing a popular game known as Huu in the Bohosha Baardhere and swimming in the Juba River. I will never forget!

Guhaad   

aaah memories,

I remember living in this gigantic house in Madinah with my extended family, from grandparents to aunties, uncles, siblings, and so on. The only people missing were my actual parents who never wanted to travel from there place. I remember (or felt like) being old enough but never being enrolled in school. My mean self would get up early in the morning, as was costumary, make the prayrer and eat canjeelo. while everyone went back to sleep, i would climb up this big jardiin in our deyd, and watch my brother and sisters dress up eloquently, with white shirts, and blue jeans/skirts. I would sit in place and look up and watch from distant their preparation and observed their walk, calmness, and orderniness all while waiting/hoping for my turn to come one day.

I would also sit in the same place after school, to hear all the gossip from Macallin Xassan, or the kabiir in the class. My brother always talked about this one class that was dirty, mushy, and totally mess, but always said the teacher was good but the system wasn't.well, before i had chance to actually attend, is when everything "fall apart". it was no longer stand up for your rights as it was damn, save your life.