The Bible says the following things.

Slavery is acceptable. [Wells, 1999]

You should kill your child if he strikes you. [Ex. 21:15]

If you work on Sunday, you should be put to death. [Ex. 35:2-3]

If you curse, you should be stoned to death. [Lev. 24:14-15]

Happiness is smashing children upon the rocks. [Psalms 137:9]

Women should be subjugated by their husbands. [1 Pet. 3:1-7]

Miriam1   

The bible is a wierd wierd wierd wierd wierd and let me repeat this wierd book, that has been revised several times its nonsense!

I took a class the other semester that deafted the entire bible and its message, it was rather sad to see how many examples of evident edition and re-edition are present. It really made me wonder how these people continue to believe in the religion.

ps. the reference from the psalms, is about babylonian children being killed and not the children of the jews, naturally the reason is due to the exile. It doesnt make it any better!

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Its funny you should mention that. I thought Islam didn't prohibit slavery either.

Prophet Mohamed's last sermon (PBUH):

"O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether, after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore, listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and take these words to those who could not be present today.

"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black, nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action."

OG_Girl   

Thanx Libaax-Sankataabte wallalo I was looking to translate that "Hateeth" in English but u already did.

Sister Opinionated , prophet Mohammed was frist one said people r equel in this world and after ...whatever they r moslims or not white or black , man or woman.

Salaam

You are talking about racial slavery. But back in the prophet's time...there was no such thing as racial slavery. It was more political and from what I hear, it was never prohibited.

bilan   

Originally posted by Opinionated:

quote:Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Its funny you should mention that. I thought Islam didn't prohibit slavery either.
opinionated sis islam did indeed tried to solve the problem of slavery unlike christianity who encourages it, there are some sins were muslims were required to free slave, for a short period of times slavery problems were solved from arabia according to history books, before islam there were many ways that people could be taken as slaves islam prohibited all these ways except the prisoners of war, i once heard from lecture were the imaam was saying that the reason prisoners of war were not prohibited was that they were doing the same thing to the muslim prisoner, and if they do not start slaving muslim prisoners muslims will not start(you might need to double check it), this is an excellent article that will explain to you islam and slavery, http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/slav1.htm

LANDER   

Opinionated,

I'm not sure if you were ever aware or you might have forgoten, but there definitely

was racial slavery in the time of the prophet. For example if you would recall the story

of Biilaal the black abyssinian slave who was freed from his idol worshiping meccan master

after suffering the punishment of the "rock" for lack of better terminology. This former slave went on to lead his muslim brothers in prayer and slay his former owner in battle. I don't remember all the details of his existence, but I suggest you look into it. My main point is that arab pagans of the time did slave dark people, as a matter a fact they slaved black people long before the europeans ever did.

N.O.R.F   

So the q here is, is slavery acceptable in Islam?

We all know about racial slavery and where it stemmed from, arabia. So no need to elaborate on that any further.

Now, as for the question in hand, i'm sure slavery is prohibited in islam. We all automatically precieve slavery to be ie slave ships (amistad), cotton picking western type atrocities. The important thing is to defrenciate between slavery galo style and slavery through islamic ways. There are rules on how to treat your slave. ie treat him as your brother.

Will read up on it ia,,,,,

Libaax, with due respect bro, i think the Hadeeth was more on racial grounds than slavery.

Very interesting debate, carry on, be careful and please no sillyness :cool:

"There is political slavery, racial slavery, industrial slavery, social slavery, the slavery of conventions, of ignorance, and of superstition. There is slavery to wealth or passions or power" ... there is all all kinds of slavery.

The hadeeth (last sermon) summarizes islamic justice in just few words.

The key words on the hadeeth are "Last sermon" and "superiority".

Last sermon - means the final khutbal wadu given.

Superior means one that surpasses another in rank or quality and that definition applies to all kinds of slavery. In my opinion, any kind of slavery is based on superiority. :D:D

If nomads want to look into Islam and Slavery, here is a good article which gives some background info. Islam and Slavery

N.O.R.F   

thanx for illaborating,,,,superiority indeed is something many have become blind to,,,,

Islam laid out clear guidelines defining the rights and status of those still in slavery
, not so that such rights and status would be used as an excuse to perpetuate slavery, but to gradually carry the phasing out of slavery to its ultimate conclusion: its eradication.

this is where the confusion occurs,,,,,thanx for the link,,,,,,

Originally posted by Northerner:

The important thing is to defrenciate between slavery galo style and slavery through islamic ways. There are rules on how to treat your slave. ie treat him as your brother.

Slavery is slavery is slavery. The arabic way or not, doesn't make it right and acceptable. You take away someone's freedom and at the same time treat em like a brother? I don't think everything was THAT pretty and nice back in the day.