Sign in to follow this  
sheherazade

Women can sue if maternity leave slows career

Blessed   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

^^^LooooooooL...I know. What was just once opinions have now become benighted ideas,but still why should an employer be held liable for choice that a woman makes.

Tip: read, comprehend then respond.

;)

Cambarra....Iam all for working flexible conditions, but asking employers to count maternity leaves as continous service (service to who exactly since the employers aren't benefitting from this arrangement), and considering absentee employees for possible promotion is just bit much.

Cara.   

I agree. Any time off work is time off work. Do these rules apply to someone who joins the army? Maybe they're thinking of child bearing as service to country, Che. And the country is making the employer shoulder some of the burden.

LoooooooooL@Service to the country. I guess single males and lesbain that Cambarra alluded to could take some succor in that statement. Losing a job promotion to patriot won't be so bad.

I have few friend in the national guards. Iam not sure what rules are if they get deployed to a war zone. I know their jobs are guaranteed upon their return from the service.

Cara.   

The service to country idea is not so far-fetched, Che. Do you know what the British Empire used to tell reluctant wives? "Just lie back and think of England." :D

Che, reread what you wrote that made Kimiya say what she said. Where promotion is concerned, maternity leave must not be used as a differentiator. If you have the right to take maternity leave then it should not be used to penalise you should you take advantage of this right.

Men can't have babies which is just as well, it's bad enough when they get man-flu, the economy would collapse if they went through labour. smile.gif

LooooL@Cara...They should reintroduce that phrase to help their shrinking labor force.

Sheh....I thought Kimiya was just being fishwife wanting to vex me. The company's desire to promote an employee is warranted by a need, a need that should be fulfilled within certian time. It is only logical for them to meet that need by promoting those who are actually avialable and obviously compatent to do the job.

^the person best for the job should get it. The woman on leave should be given the same opportunity as the man on sick leave- both are rihgts given to an employee, right or wrong. You can not grant an employee a right and use it against him/her to suit your immediate needs.

Blessed   

Che.

I thought Kimiya was just being fishwife wanting to vex me.

Oh! How the mighty have fallen redface.gif

Anyways, as Sheh. has explained taking time off to have and take care of ones child [illness / holiday for yous lot] does not impact on your preformance and skills on the job, so it shouldn't be a criteria for turning someone down for promotion. It should be about the job you do and how well you do it. The topic is about promotion and if employers are right to limit a person chances for taking contractual leave.

It's really that simple but as it goes in SOL, we have to go back to basics and question the woman for being at work to begin with.

Kimiya....Taking formal leave of absence whether mandated by the law or not will have negative impact on the employee's chance for promotion. Promotions are atleast in part determined by perfomance ratings. And this creates a dilemma for managers. How one could consider the performance ratings of an employee that has been absent from work?. Managers must be fair when it comes to the allocation of performance evaluations and rewards.

Maybe they should give fathers a parental leave to even the field!

^they do. In fact, I say give them more than they already get.

If u're absent legitimately, how can your absence be used to determine an unattainable performance during that period? U can't perform when u're not there so why consider it at all? If u're struck by an illness and need to be off work, wouldn't it stink to have a healthy colleague evaluated as higher performing just cause he was there?

U say absence will have a negative impact on promotion- it can't any more, not unless an employer wants to risk tribunal proceedings.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

should reintroduce that phrase to help their shrinking labor force.

I think that's what these kinds of measures are. The gov't is telling career women to please please go have babies, and promising to hold the fort for them while they are away. Of course, the target is a small fraction of women, not the millions in low-paying jobs with no future prospects.

^the law is for all to take advantage of. Women have been having babies regardless even though it has been affecting their work prospects. A lot of women work and are still the primary caretakers of children and home; a few months away with a new baby should not be an opportunity for employers to use as an excuse to overlook a woman.

If u're struck by an illness and need to be off work, wouldn't it stink to have a healthy colleague evaluated as higher performing just cause he was there?

It certainly does stink but how's this fair to those that were there and picked up after my slack. Why should their efforts be discounted. Not only they do have to do their own assignments, but they had to take on my piles of work. Surely that warrants some recognition albeit at my expense.

And managers have aslo to deal with other things that are not and can't be so well defined in the law. There is office politics, seniority, and whole set of other things to consider for the company to run smoothly.

Cara....The Japenese are faced with the same problems. They haven't figured out to entice young women to start families,but they have encouraged the elders and more women to join the work force. Only a person with gumption would know how to get the industrialised nations out of this baby slide. Or they could always lax their immigration laws. Atleast that's how the states has thwarted this problem. Of course we might have to learn how to speak Spanish.