Sign in to follow this  
Zafir

Sony accused of racism (again)

Zafir   

Over the past twelve months, we've had sex, violence, torture and graffiti, but it's racism that appears to be the current hot potato topic in video gaming. And after the hoo-hah over LocoRoco earlier this week, now Sony has once again been accused of racism, thanks to a controversial advert for the new Ceramic White PSP. The billboard advert, which features a white woman clenching a black woman by the jaw, has yet to appear anywhere outside Holland, though that hasn't quashed the protests over the advert, with many websites and message board users criticising the image and accusing Sony of racism.

Sony has seen fit to defend itself from the accusations however, with a spokesperson arguing that, "The marketing campaign for the launch of the White PSP focuses on the contrast between the Black PSP model and the new Ceramic white PSP model. A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models." Sigh. Does nobody recall the time when the world of game advertising was a less nonsensical place?

"Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery, that has been used on large billboards throughout Holland. All of the 100 or so images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colours of the PSPs, and have no other message or purpose."

The controversy over the advert does mean it's unlikely we'll be seeing it outside Holland though, with a Sony UK rep pointing out that, "I would like to confirm that we categorically are not running this advert creative in the UK." An appearance in Australia seems equally unlikely, but let us know what you think of the ad in the forums.

Here is the Photo on a billboard

They have got to be joking. Who in their right mind commissions an advertisment like that without realising its racist connotations.

And who are they kidding by trying to 'defend' their campaign. They should simply apologise and scrap the campaign. I can see myself easily going off on some long winding rant so I will end it there. :mad:

P.S Jobs should be lost for this.

Maf Kees   

We've seen this ad in Amsterdam today. I was fuking shocked!

Originally posted by Intuition:

White superiority again. Down with Sony. I personally think its inappropriate.

Sony is owned by yellow people.

Originally posted by Nomadic_Princess:

They have got to be joking. Who in their right mind commissions an advertisment like that without realising its racist connotations.

Bad publicity is good publicity. Large corporations have launched worse ads before and the controversy only enhanced the sales even further.

It's just one of the many marketing tools you don't learn in Business school.

Sony is owned by yellow people.

Ok then white superiority perpetrated by yellow people [Roll Eyes]

By far the most idiotic people I have met redface.gif

And your nigger-like mentality never seems to amaze me.

Snake-i   

I won’t have noticed this billboard to be honest; most of the black women today are trying to be as white as they could possibly be. But the way it is set-up tells a whole different story if you really think about it. Just look at the way the white woman is hold the black woman and the kinky hair, all black cloths, the black woman, is dark black. Basically it is good vs. evil and ugly vs. beautiful so on so forth. But not something to get made about at all, unless you think white people are superior.

I will guarantee you that, there won’t have been all this commotion if it was the black woman clenching the white woman's jaw.

PureBlood...

Ever heard of light humor? No need to be so insulting in your statements. Idiotic? I’d say the same for you. “Nigger like mentality� What mentality may that be? :rolleyes: I don’t like confrontations so don’t confront me kiddo :mad:

Baluug   

I personally don't see anything wrong with the billboard.....it's just a white chick grabbing a black guy's face.

^^^^^Here it goes, they're going to start calling you a raciest now because you have the same pigmentation and stand on the whole issue (that the billboard is NOT raciest; which it really isn't) as the accused redface.gif

“Nigger like mentality� What mentality may that be?

Self-explanatory smile.gif

Duufaan   

It is all about marketing. Sony may calculated very much the outcome. Unfurtunality, This could be more benefitial for Sony.

J.Lee   

Would really have mattered if it was the other way around...that is if the campaign focused on the contrast between the Ceramic white PSP model and the new Black PSP model and it had been a black woman clenching the jaws of a white woman?