Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

Morning Sickness In Pregnancy Linked To Smarter Babies

Kool_Kat   

Moms-to-be who suffer from morning sickness throughout pregnancy might give birth to smarter and brighter baby, suggests new Canadian research.

Scientists at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children's Motherisk Program discovered that morning sickness appears to be associated with enhanced neurodevelopment of the fetus and that babies whose mothers suffered from nausea and vomiting, later tested a few IQ points higher than the children whose mothers had nauseous-free pregnancies.

Morning sickness, which affects as many as 80 per cent of pregnant women, is the most common condition of pregnancy and often one of the first of its signs. The condition typically starts around the second week of pregnancy. It is the most common reason for a woman to be hospitalized in her first trimester, and, in some severe cases, can result in dehydration, salt and vitamin imbalances as well as weight loss. Morning sickness is little understood, but many doctors assume that it is linked to altered levels of hormones, such as estrogen, HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), and thyroxine.

It has been known for a long time that nausea is an indicator of a healthy pregnancy. The condition has been associated with a lower risk of miscarriage and a lower risk of heart malformations in the fetus. Some scientists believe that morning sickness is a defensive mechanism of the body to let women vomit out things she might have eaten that may be harmful for the fetus. And while past research has concentrated on how pregnancy queasiness affects the outcomes of pregnancies, this new study appears to be the first to look at the long-term impact of the nausea on the cognitive skills of the babies at a later time.

The new findings were based on the study of 121 pregnant women who have been recruited through a morning sickness hotline run by the Motherisk program between 1998 and 2003. Participants were assigned into three groups: the first group included 45 mothers who experienced morning sickness and were treated with Diclectin (a drug that is used to treat nausea and vomiting during pregnancy), the second group included 47 women who went through a morning sickness torture and did not take any medication, and finally, the third group consisted of 29 participants who did not suffer from morning sickness at all. The women had similar IQs and came from similar socioeconomic and educational backgrounds. Other factors such as number of cigarettes smoked by a mother every day and alcohol consumption were also taken into consideration.

When the children of those pregnancies reached the ages of 3 and then 7, they all were assessed with a number of age-appropriate psychological tests, including measures of intelligence and behavior. The results revealed that all kids across the three groups scored within a normal range of neuro-developmental outcome. However, the children of mothers with morning sickness scored higher on performance IQ (games and tasks), numerical memory, verbal fluency and phonological processing, which shows how well children learn the sounds of letters and letter combinations.

The experts discovered that the more severe the morning nausea was, the more likely were the kids to get higher scores. They noted that maternal IQ also played not a last a role in the outcome. Furthermore, the study found that kids whose mothers who were taking the drug Diclectin for the relief of pregnancy-related nausea, did not have lower scores than children whose mothers did not take the drug in order to cope with morning sickness.

The authors of this study say that morning sickness is still puzzling and that there is a need for further investigation to find out what exactly is triggering it. That could then help the scientists to come up with better ways to manage it.

Source

Dang it can't anything come easy...The things mothers go through for their kids :D:D

I must say though this study is sort of double edge knowledge because if you don't have morning sickness, you feeling upset, because you are going to have average baby vs. smarter baby :mad: At the same time most mother thinks their kids are the smartest in the world anyways :D:D

Kool_Kat   

Any good news coming from throwing up morning, noon and night for seven months, I would hold it dear to my heart! I would like to think all my throwing up wasn't for nothing... :D

On a serious note, the study only suggests that severe morning sickness to be associated with having children with higher IQ; however doesn't suggest it leads to it! Meesha yeeynaan wax isku qasin...

It would've been nicer if they could come up with a way to stop morning sickness altogether... :(

Malika   

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

It would've been nicer if they could come up with a way to stop morning sickness altogether...
:(

^What will be the joys of being pregnant without going through the morning sickness,the cravings,the back pains,stretch marks, the kicking and the leaking.. :D

I dont mind the pregnancy,but raising children is a whole ball game wallahi!

Chimera   

When i was still in the womb i was a certified enhanced neurodeveloper. The quest for the golden egg ment i had to elbow my way through millions of identical looking potential brothers, but alas only one made it through and that was me.

Whenever i feel insignificant, i reply this story to myself cause Wow I am ME, yes ME, the champion of 86' that is ME, omg so surreal :D

Malika - Eww. Not exactly great advertising for reproduction, is it? I think Angelina Jolie had it right the first time. Adopt an orphan. Give the 'cravings, back pain, stretch marks, the kicking, [the screaming] and the leaking' a miss.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Malika:

What will be the joys of being pregnant without going through the morning sickness,the cravings,the back pains,stretch marks, the kicking and the leaking..
:D

I dont mind the pregnancy,but raising children is a whole ball game wallahi!

Cravings I can handle, back pains no problem, stretch marks - who's to say I didn't have them before pregnancy, the kicks - I actually enjoy, the leaks - I better not comment on this! BUT, effing NAUSEA is the only thing I cannot tolerate during pregnancy...You have no idea waxyaalaha aan ku fikiro - istaqfurulahda uun baan guraa... :mad: :(

HURREEEEEEEEY for sperm ADAM! :D

I don't care how many IQ points any future kids are suggested to notch up at the expense of my hurling my guts out every two seconds but no thank you! I sincerely hope that I don't become afflicted with such a thing, I doubt I have any major control over it but I should like to think that had I had a choice in the matter I would be more than happy give away a few IQ points in order to keep my food down. Those darn parasites would already be sucking the life and nutrients out of me what more could they want? My blood? I don’t bloody think so!

Ps For those of you who are shocked? Tis true foetus is a type of parasitic organism