Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

English to Somali Medical Terminology

Buuxo   

^Apparently a terminology coined in the civil war era.It fits well.

Perhaps,major depression would be isku buuq maskaxeed'.

Fazilayah,I don't know.I was told caabuq means inflammation or when something is inflamed.

Xiin,you probably right.Often inflammation & Barar go hand-in-hand.

Originally posted by Abu-Salman:

Xiin, lexical use, esp of unconventional words may be a bit chaotic.

I thought Buufis was used to depict paranoia too or the longing for emmigraton in refugee camps etc

Were I a clinician, I'd settle personally for Murugo or melancholy in cases of depression and give simple Islamic/common sense as a routine.Why medicalise or seek chemical answers to changing states of mind, as if the brain was not inside a person, itself evolving in a society, with possible unhelpful reaction to problematic issues?

Abu Salman, as a clinician you are firmly on your forte, mine was a linguistic take on depression. Buufis isn’t a longing it’s mental disease short of full-blown craziness.

Again I am not in a position of commenting the treatment of this disease. The key however i believe is to realize that it’s NOT a jinni or other diagnoses routinely made by untrained sheikhs who habitually prescribe to these patients. I am speaking from experience, my best friend a bright a computer science graduate and business partner was taken by depression causing him to take his life. It’s silent killer

Great post.

Was wondering can someone recommend a good book to keep ? Reason why Im asking coz Im not a native speaker. Dont want to end up saying the wrong word.

My library holds only holds this book.

English-Somali phrase book of common and medical terms by: Wayne F. Peate

Mahadsanid.

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

Great post.

Was wondering can someone recommend a good book to keep ? Reason why Im asking coz Im not a native speaker. Dont want to end up saying the wrong word.

My library holds only holds this book.

English-Somali phrase book of common and medical terms by: Wayne F. Peate

Mahadsanid.

This book just does that.

I got it from public library some weekends ago and read it. It is great, though it is written in Soomaali-Ingiriis than Ingiriis-Soomaali, which would have been much easier to non-Soomaali speakers.

Depression means murugo, so Salmaan has a point. Niyadjab too would be fine.