Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Are remittances a good thing?

Ibtisam   

Are remittances a good thing?

Is the practice of sending remittances good for Africa

The half a million strong African community in Britain sends an estimated $400 million a year to relatives in Africa. Nigeria and Ghana are among the five biggest recipients of UK remittances. And now a new Charter is being launched in London to help make the process easier and more transparent.

But while soome argue this income is hugely important for developing countries, others say it inhibits development by creating dependence? Should more people take their skills and ideas back to build their countries rather than just send money? Do you benefit from remittances sent by a relative? Send us your views

If you would like to join Africa Have Your Say to debate this topic LIVE on air on Wednesday 9 January at 1600 GMT, please include a telephone number. It will not be published. You can also send an SMS text message to +44 77 86 20 20 08.

BBC.

-------------

I guess for Somalia it is a life line, but people have gotten use to hand outs. Maybe we should do a study and stop sending money for a while...maybe they'll get their sh*it together and make something of themselves to survive. :confused:

The Money should be used for investment and to enhance their lives not to sustain them until the next month. How does one get that point across toolow. An ongoing never ending cycle redface.gif and the dependency it creates, where people bank on you sending money regardless of what happens to you is just mind blowing.

me   

No, They keep the Somali civil war going on. Without remitances they would have found a solution for this war a long time ago.

ZOLA   

not all remitances sent to somalia is used to fund warlords. people who live in somalia largely depend on money sent from abroad to survive. not only does it benefit the people, but also the local economy.

how is it a handout, when people dont have a functioning goverment and jobs?

the welfare system in the U.S and Europe..now thats a handout.

me   

I spoke to duded that told me that a marduf of jaad costs 2 dollars a day (incl. ciggs,tea) and they chew daily....so that 60 dollars a month on jaad, they wouldn't waste their own monety like that. Its cause they got it easy. That they are watsing the money.

ElPunto   

Send the money if you can. I think for widows, the elderly and folks in similar circumstances - a biil is fine. But for young working age men - emergency situation or bankrolling an investment in order to make them self sufficient is the way to go.

It is much more complicate.

We all have dependents... who live back home.

yes there are few lazy ones, but there is also a genuine baahi.

instead of sending them a small amount each month.

a lump sum for them to go into Business with, is a really good Idea.

Pujah   

The old saying, “Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day, but teach someone how to fish and you feed them for a lifetime” comes to mind here.

NASSIR   

Remittances indeed have had negative corollary effect on the people as they turn indolent, but the allegation that this money fuel the crisis in Somalia does hold water. We in the Diaspora intervene on behalf of our tribal land's defense and enhance the offensive capability of our warlords for twisted ideological reasons that we are made to believe as sacrosanct, for instance, secession in the North and occupation in the south.

On the other hand, remittances have helped some of our people back home stay resilient and productive in their entrepreneurship initiatives.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by Geel_jire:

instead of sending them a small amount each month.

a lump sum for them to go into Business with, is a really good Idea.

Then comes the dreaded words you don't mind hearing: "I was robbed." :D . This usually happens on their way back from the hawala L0L. Same line kama daalaan.

Ghanima: Making people stand on their own two feet is not a bad concept, but in a dog eat dog, unstable country, what do you think would happen if no one sent them money?

The money we send them may go to fund a local warlord or for qaad use, but it may also go to personal needs too. Either way, the blessing is still ours. Majority of those back home were able, and productive members of society like the rest of us before they hit bottom. Remember, this could happen to anybody - this means you , or me, or anyone. I send money home to three different famalies in different towns. I figure that's the least I can do. IMO, it's their business how they spend that money.

Help people out. No one should have to go hungry.

me   

Originally posted by Caamir:

Remittances indeed have had negative corollary effect on the people as they turn indolent, but the allegation that this money fuel the crisis in Somalia does hold water.

The remittances make life bearable for the people in Somalia and because life is bearable they won't find a solution. If they suffer more, they will look for a solution.

So these remittances keep the warlord system going.