Sign in to follow this  
Faarax-Brawn

MBA

Any MBA students,want to be students or thinking about it?

Sophist asked this awhile back in the student's section(Who really goes there? seriously). I dont think Sophist ever got an answer.

So,i ask(again) ,any chaps here enrolled in the program or anyone thinking of it? If so,what does it take? is it safe or wise rather to take it online? Do you have a close family who is enrolled or a graduate of an MBA?

Ps. I know this is the wrong section,Laakin,yaa tago meeshas runtii? smile.gif

Haneefah   

So you've finally decided to commence your studies? Yeey! Good for you.

I did an MBA course (health care policy) last term, and I tell ya, it required a whole new set of skills and outlook on my part...I had no idea what the heck a SWOT analysis or stakeholder analysis entailed - the entire process of strategic planning was foreign to me (uderstandably), but to my surprise, it proved to be quite interesting. I am hoping to squeeze in a leadership or management course into my schedule later this summer as well, InshaAllah.

Best wishes buddy. Just do me a favour and don't ever adopt the usual black suit/snobbish attitude look known to those students. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Haneefah:

I had no idea what the heck a SWOT analysis or stakeholder analysis entailed - the entire process of strategic planning was foreign to me (uderstandably),
icon_razz.gif

Not to sound like a jerk..but they teach you that in your first year Intro to Business classes.

Haneefah   

^Spill your thoughts out, I'm sure he won't mind.

Not to sound like a jerk..but they teach you that in your first year Intro to Business classes.

Oh yea? I wouldn't know. I am not a business student now nor was I as an undergrad. The policy class I was referring to was mainly comprised of health care researchers and clinicians who have not had prior introduction to the material; besides, the MBA degree caters to people from very diverse disciplines, therefore, it is not assumed that one has a solid business background (or so I think).

P.S. I just checked that link...Sophist intey dhaheen bey iska daayeen!

Originally posted by Haneefah:

So you've finally decided to commence your studies? Yeey! Good for you.

I did an MBA course (health care policy) last term, and I tell ya, it required a whole new set of skills and outlook on my part...I had no idea what the heck a SWOT analysis or stakeholder analysis entailed - the entire process of strategic planning was foreign to me (uderstandably), but to my surprise, it proved to be quite interesting. I am hoping to squeeze in a leadership or management course into my schedule later this summer as well, InshaAllah.

Best wishes buddy. Just do me a favour and don't ever adopt the usual black suit/snobbish attitude look known to those students.
icon_razz.gif

Thanks huunoy.

aah,so your business instincts are kicking in? You know once you go business,you may as well kiss the health industry good bye?

Hospital management is big,switch careers hadaba.

Problem is,i have a hectic work schedule 16+ hrs of work every day,something needs to be sacrificed,it aint gonna be business school.

Ps.I hate suits,except if it is either green or white or purple smile.gif

Pss/ Nephy,You are crazy. No demographics needed laakinse,it helps if you are in the states L0L, Sophist is one mean dude. smile.gif

STOIC   

FB,

Hopefully when you get that MBA you can help the brother overcome his handicap of the balance sheet with comparative ease. I don’t know anything about business school, but I know a Somali friend who is trying to get into MIT Sloan School of business (he went undergraduate there). I think you guys have to take the GMAT.I will ask him when I meet him over the Memorial weekend and I'll call you (IA). I know you know the difference, but just try to avoid the commercial online degrees like University of Phoenix. :D

PS Green suit :confused:

Originally posted by STOIC:

FB,

Hopefully when you get that MBA you can help the brother overcome his handicap of the balance sheet with comparative ease. I don’t know anything about business school, but I know a Somali friend who is trying to get into MIT Sloan School of business (he went undergraduate there). I think you guys have to take the GMAT.I will ask him when I meet him over the Memorial weekend and I'll call you (IA). I know you know the difference, but just try to avoid the commercial online degrees like University of Phoenix.
:D

PS Green suit :confused:

I love green suits. U.Of PHX is actually accredited, perfect for working adults like me smile.gif

Have you taken the test yet? got admitted yet?

I can,as of now help you with your balance sheet,students like you dont make that much money L0L smile.gif

STOIC   

Have you taken the test yet? got admitted yet?

What test are you talking about.I just told I don't know anything about business school.This is a perfect example when they say men can't multitask :D

I always thought University of Phoenix was unacredited University.If it is accredited good for all the working people.

Give all the green suits to the salvation army.I will send you black and navy blue once :D

^ A.D.D and business school ma iskeynayaan. Poster, try your best not to mess up at the assembly line, or else your boss won't be happy. redface.gif

Faarax B.

The MBA is a professional degree meaning it is geared towards working professionals rather than students that is why it costs much more, and usually they are very lenient with assignment deadlines, even exam rescheduling so you can probably work it around your schedule.

at that stage you don't need to be spoon fed anything and if you can make it work online classes are ok but be careful of the reputation of the institute you want to attend.

University of Phoenix does not have a good reputation I'm not aware of their business school but their Technical programs are known as Degree producing factories.

before you commit to online courses I suggest you first give it a try. MIT offers free online opencourse ware on their website entire courses in video lectures give one course a try and if you think it can work for you go ahead.

LANDER   

Faarax,

I few tips on the MBA. First not all MBAs are created equal meaning the school and the reputation of that school will determine just how useful that MBA becomes once you've completed it. Unlike medicine and other disciplines where you can start practicing in the same ways as any graduate regardless of the name on your degree, the MBA is more of a 'snobby' degree if you will, you want the gucci of MBAs not the knock off like phoenix online :D . Secondly, in most reputable schools in North America, you need to score high on your GMAT 700+ is a very good score than can put you in consideration for Ivy league schools. However, there is more than one way in getting your foot through the door in a reputable school. You can do very well on the GMAT have respectable undergrad marks and be a very engaging person outside of work and study as in extra-curricular, maybe building homes for the poor etc... Or you can have connections inside that school so as to by pass all of the above mentioned, for most of us modest Somalis this option is out of the question. On the other hand, affirmative action in the states should help you. Thirdly, MBAs are very expensive, the more reputable the school the costlier it is. So you have to come up with a well thought out financing plan. Lastly, try and figure out exactly where you wanna head with this MBA, some ppl get MBAs just for the sake of having one and puting it next to their name. The MBA will open many doors granted, but if you don't know what you want you may waste your time bouncing around from job to job without fully leveraging the investment you made in that MBA. Think of the cost/benefit before jumping in to something that will require a major commitment on your part. You may just as well achieve your goals if your heading into accounting or asset management by doing a CPA, CA (Canada) or CFA for a fraction of the cost of the MBA. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Faarax as Lander said it comes down to what you really want out of this. MBA from what I am told

is more in depth compared to other certifications like CFA but that does not mean you cannot go far with either of them. I would assume MBA would come in handy in managerial positions in addition to covering the basic financial professional workload. Money is another factor to consider as CFA is a self study graduate program.

If you have the time and money, why not get both of them(assuming you get into a top 10 Business School).

Peruse below for a bit biased and CFA geared comparison.

http://www.analystforum.com/121304.shtml

Good luck.

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

Thanks everyone!~

Lander & Geeljire, are you guys in the programme?

no bro.

I've only taken a few intro business courses which i did not enjoy :D ..... the points i mentioned are common to most professional degrees and online courses.

good luck with your studies