Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Troll, Shah and Sheeko

Occording Wiki, the whole Hello thing came into use about 150 years ago, about the same time as the fone was invented, so is not even a prober word hence why there is no Somali version.

NGONGE   

If you say "Haye" to someone their reply, more often than not, will be along the lines of telling you they are doing ok or giving you some news. So, "Haye" on its own can not be the same as "Hello".

Person one: Haye

Person two: Waa khayr

This wouldn't work because, normally, if you said hello to someone they will reply with a similar hello.

If you double it by saying 'haye haye', however, then it's positively hello. Try it.

Disclaimer:

I have no idea what I'm talking about and should not be held responsible for my comments here.

STOIC   

^ You always have no "Idea" of what you talking about you senile old man..leave the Somali language to experts like me...

PS I'm kicking AND screaming to get up for eight o'clock class this morning!

sad thing is - i have heard few cases where somalis have asked for translated work and when given - gave it back - decrying that this is not somali. yet we we proclaim to the world that we are people of one language, religion etc.

Juxa   

qudbada intaad dhaafto noo sheeg the correct word for hello, a single word

oon aheen qardho udoono laf hiliba

but you'll have to say it with smile or write with a grind :D otherwise it might be misinterperted as declaration of war.

and the appropriate reply is "qumqalalax". :D

NGONGE   

What did you say to upset him, Juxa? Waaka tufaaxa ku so noqday! Qar-dho..Qar-dho...

In Somali 'hello' can be anything. Miyaanad arag qof kugo salaamaya 'haayaaay'! Ama mid kale kugo salaamaya 'Huhu'! Ama mid kugo salaamaya 'Haahay'! I've often had people greating me with the exclamation 'Balo!' before commencing to warmly shake my hand.

Juxa   

anigu qardho iyo meelaha kama imaan? usually we say nabad masheegteen?

sayid i refuse you demands, qardho will be uttered with as much qaleyl iyo qorax as it comes with

^and what do you reply with?

if qardho meant hello now you'll have something to say - e.g.

Juxa on seeing Ngonge:

Juxa: Qardho!

Ngonge: qumqalalax!

:D

Originally posted by Juxa:

anigu qardho iyo meelaha kama imaan? usually we say nabad masheegteen?

sayid i refuse you demands, qardho will be uttered with as much qaleyl iyo qorax as it comes with

you know why you say that - because your from belligerent people - so what happens haddii dadku nabad sheegin? dagaal miyaa la geleysaan? :D

at least with qardho - qar-jum - bey egtahay - or least with ngonge - but then again ngonge is not known for his mastering of the somali phonemes. but even he gets it - that it is peaceful.