Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Urinal Stall Talk?

Salaan...

Afyaqaanada iyo afsoorada meesha ku jiro, su'aal: Ereyada hoos ku qoran kuwee saxsan ku dhawaaqidooda?

• Ninac/nacnac
  • Xabaal/xawaal
  • Qareer/qaraar
  • Taash/taaj [lasoo deensaday]
  • Banooni/balooni [lasoo deensaday]
  • Canjeero/canjeelo
  • Dixri/tixri
  • Katabaan/takabaan
  • Shucaac/shacaac
  • Sharqaan/xarqaan
  • Hakaba/xakaba
  • Xusul/suxul
  • Shaah/shaax
  • Ab/aw
  • Rajabeeto/rajastiino [deensaday]
  • Bud/budh

Castro   

^ MMA, you're not gonna like this but here it goes:

Ninac/nacnac: Neither, it's nanac

Xabaal/xawaal: A grave? xabaal

Qareer/qaraar: Neither, it's qadhaadh.

Taash/taaj [lasoo deensaday]: The original arabic is taaj so no argument there.

Banooni/balooni [lasoo deensaday]: Probably balooni. I call it kubad

Canjeero/canjeelo: Canjeero

Dixri/tixri: Neither, it's Dirxi

Katabaan/takabaan: Katabaan

Shucaac/shacaac: It's arabic so shucaac

Sharqaan/xarqaan: Xarqaan

Hakaba/xakaba: Not sure what it means.

Xusul/suxul: Suxul

Shaah/shaax: Shaah

Ab/aw: ? :D

Rajabeeto/rajastiino [deensaday]: Neither, it's keyshali.

Bud/budh: Bud

I think the diferences are mostly regional but what always confused me was the different spelling of the word (not just pronunciation). For example, dirxi and dixri. The difference is not just pronunciation but a fundamental change. Anyone know why this is?

Astro, waa ku dhacday, widaay. Ka bax meesha, afyaqaanada u daa. :D

The words weren't regional per se, but how it is pronounced, as you just elucidated about the word "dixri." Some say [thus pronounce] "tixri," and here you have another third option, "dirxi." Yours, I never heard it once anyone pronounce that way. Most people use "dixri" and "tixri" interchangeable.

We folks say "qareer," but but a neighbour might pronounce it "qaraar." This isn't regional dialect, but personal or upbringing of one's own.

When it gets regional dialect is when you say "qadhaadh" and I say "qareer/qaraar." Or when one writes rajabeeto/rajastiino, and others might say keysali.

About the xarqaan thing, most Soomaalis, including me, say 'xarqaan.' But in the deep sections of old Xamarweyne, Xamarjajab, Boondheere and Shangaani, folks used 'sharqaan.'

I use 'banooni' and always thought that is the way. Surprisingly, some neighbours use 'balooni.'

I say 'katabaan,' but you will have those who will argue you that it is 'takabaan.' Same with 'suxul' or 'xusul.'

Same again with 'ninac' or 'nacnac.' You brought a third way, but your third option is minority, considering most people, that is those I had seen, use the either 'ninac' or 'nacnac.' I think the latter, nacnac, is plural, whereas ninac is singular.

I, however, surprisingly, share with you these following: Xabaal, canjeero, katabaan, shucaac, xarqaan, suxul, shaah, and bud.

Castro   

^ So there's more common pronunciations than uncommon. I can live with that. Dirxi is how I've always known it. I've also heard dixri and just never picked up on it. I am surprised the change is not one of dh or an r. A dirxi (worm in English) is also dixri (or tixri). How can that be? One or both of the users who first coined them must have been dyslexic. :D

I'll leave it to the experts as you said. This is very educational by the way.

Jacpher   

The following are correct, I think in terms of pronunciation.

Ninac/nacnac/nanac, [nacnac could also mean candy or rubbish, or bullshit, depends the sentence.]

Xabaal is duug right? Hadaad carabka la’dahay, I guess you can say xawaal as in xawaal-da.

Qaraar for koonfuta & Qadhaadh if you’re khaldaan. No offense plz.

Taaj sound right.

Banooni/Kubad sound right but Balooni sounds more like boloney.

Canjeero/Canjeelo/laxoox are all ok.

Dixri/dixiri is right but I’ve seen some pronounce tixri.

Takabaan sounds right. Katabaan is similar to Kajo which means Jiko.

Shucaac not shacaac.

Sharqaan or Harqaan, not with x.

Hakabo as in Buur Hakabo? I heard it’s Hakabo Banashe.

Shaah/Shaax same.

Ab as in Aabe or ab-ka-ab or aw as in awoowe or reer.

Rajabeeto/Rajasiino not with t.

Bud/Budh same.

Haneefah   

Castro maba moodeyn inuu labo kilmadood oo af-soomali ah isku dari karo let alone grammar, kuddos 'Atheer' :D

MMA: do you seriously expect to get consensus on somali pronunciation here...iska iloow taa. Aside from dialectic differences, the more aad luuqadan dib u sii eegtid the more aad fahantid in badh oo badh la soo xadey badh ka kalena qaanuun u dajisan haba yaraatee ineysan jirin. Waa kolba dinicii loo wato. redface.gif

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

Xabaal is duug right? Hadaad carabka la’dahay, I guess you can say xawaal as in xawaal-da.

:D

ps. One thing I've noticed with reer koonfureedka however is, kilmado badan oo kh ka bilaabma ayeey qaaf ku badalaan--ie, khimaar to qimaar, kharaar to qaraar, khatar/qatar and many I can't recall now.

Nephissa   

Ninac/nacnac ---- nacnac

Xabaal/xawaal ---- xabaal

Qareer/qaraar ---- qaraar, you can also say Xaraar

Taash/taaj [lasoo deensaday] ---- Taaj

Banooni/balooni [lasoo deensaday] -- Banooni

Canjeero/canjeelo --- Canjeero

Dixri/tixri ----- Tixri you can also say Gooryaan

Rajabeeto/rajastiino [deensaday] --- the correct Somali term would be Naas celiye, or baqti jiid or balaq jiid something.

Bud/budh --- Bud

Is it Diqsi, Tixsi, or Duqsi? = I always use the middle one.

Jacpher   

Abraar: Don't you think Khimaar & Khatar sound a bit too Arabic. They need to be altered so they sound more of a maryooley.

Originally posted by
Bishaaro:

Rajabeeto/rajastiino [deensaday] --- the correct Somali term would be Naas celiye, or baqti jiid or balaq jiid something.

Odey Cabdulle miyuu ahaa kii yiri, Walax raaracey roojiyaan :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

Rajabeeto/rajastiino [deensaday] --- the correct Somali term would be
Naas celiye, or baqti jiid or balaq jiid something.

I heard something similar to this: bakhti toosiye. I believe both terms are disgusting. There's nothing dead about the only body parts that actually sustain the life of the young.

Originally posted by Abraar:

Castro maba moodeyn inuu labo kilmadood oo af-soomali ah isku dari karo let alone grammar, kuddos 'Atheer'
:D

Waad maraqsantahay, atheer. :D

ps. One thing I've noticed with reer koonfureedka however is, kilmado badan oo kh ka bilaabma ayeey qaaf
ku badalaan
--ie, khimaar to qimaar, kharaar to qaraar, khatar/qatar and many I can't recall now.

Abraar, you're (mistakenly) assuming the North made the original words and the South changed them. If that were the case, a Southerner would then been called khaldaan. I believe the South side is where it all began.

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by Bishaaro:

Rajabeeto/rajastiino [deensaday] --- the correct Somali term would be
Naas celiye, or baqti jiid or balaq jiid something.

I heard something similar to this: bakhti toosiye. I believe both terms are disgusting. There's nothing dead about the only body parts that actually sustain the life of the young.
You are taking the word baqti too literal atheer. Anything can baqti if it doesn’t have its original shape or form. Geed can baqti, Nal/feynuus can baqti, Dab can baqti,Computer can baqti. smile.gif

Rabajeeto/Rajastino I think has no name in the somali language becoz I believe that particular garment was not part of our wardrobe prior to the cadaan arrival. So was the matanta :D

Abraar,Walaal Qaraarka dhaaf smile.gif

Nephissa   

^^It's only ugly if used for young chicks with bazookers, or bee stings, for they'r not the ones who need to wear that shidh. The something-jiid term applies to the ironing board/surfboard type. icon_razz.gif

Farax-Brown: Matante in Af Somali = Cawro Qariye.

Ducaqabe: L00L. Haa, that's what Oday Abdulle said when he was asked: Rubajeeto xaay tartaa? :D A: Warax raaraacay roojisaa. :D