Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Defining Google (Business-minded geeks' success story)

Baashi   

GMTY fellaz, Oh man! business is on my mind nowadays! Look how this Russian born student and his college buddy made it to the top...ONLY in America!

Defining Google

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Jan. 2, 2005

Has there ever been a brand name like Google? Non-existent six years ago, it’s now a part of the global language, as in, “I Googled this,†or “I Googled that,†or “I Googled you.†To Google, a verb, is to get an instant answer by using the company's super-computer to look up anything on the Internet.

What began as a school project is now worth about as much as Ford and General Motors combined, thanks to a stock that has roughly doubled in price since the company went public last August.

And for the first time since then, Google has opened its doors, to let "60 Minutes" Google them. Lesley Stahl reports.

maan these guys at google have a monopoly on aswomeness.... did anybody use their latest Satellite imaging supported driving directions?

i heard they are about to venture into making their own operating system and rival Windows..

Bro, I stopped saying that because one day never came. Now I say I am, I am and the fact that people around me know about my plans(to some extent) embarasses me into pulling my finger out.

It helps that a friend of mine is setting up a business- she's much further down the road than I am and is doing something completely different. I'm helping her out. Well, actually she's paying me for one particular service I'm providing her(discounted) smile.gif .

I mentioned a couple of things in passing to her the other night and it turns out she may have a few leads for me. Well, what do you know. Tomorrow I start the market research. It's tiring holding down a day job and getting home to work some more. BUT I'm sick of working for somebody else!!

I have to say I am having a lot of moral support from family and friends. It seems they believe in me more than I do in myself. Can't let them down, can I? My dad wants me to tackle Somalia(oops Somaliland) but that feels like too much of a leap for me. That's my current 'one day'.

Just do it. Get the ball rolling. Talk to people; it's amazing what u can envisage once u keep yr eyes and ears open to business. Go on..... :D

Baashi   

Qallanjo I like that attitude wallahi. We gotta talk friend and I have an offer you can't refuse. I like sharp people who have some sort of ambition in their blood. More power to shez.

Remember though sis that most start ups end up failing. The reason being folks got excited and they rush to the venture with out robust plan. The other thing is that failure is part of the game. Actually is not failure let me rephrase that and say it's a bump on the road that teaches u a lesson. In any rate, I understand what you are saying here. One of these days is just phrasal click folks say in order to emphasize the thing will happen sooner or later! Yeah I got some cool ideas that, if acted upon, have a potential.

Do ur thing shez and who knows if urs take off SOLers might seek employement from ur venture. Btw, ever heard this Linkedin networking site? Well u may wanna take look at it...it is really very useful for ambitious, business-minded like you.

^^ Couldn't agree with you more walaahi awoowe. Failure you speak of awoowe, I look at it this way.If you are waking up every freaking morning working for another man from 9 to 5 to make ends meet, you are a FAILURE ..."make a xarak and you will get baraka" is the saying....

XARAKA XARAKA XARAKA YAA JAMAACA

asxantu

Completely, totally and utterly, I would actively employ Somalis; even if I have to break the land's laws. And look for Somalis to create networks with too. Have u seen how the Asians flourish? They look out for one another!

I'll look up Linkedin. Thanks. I'm not worried about failure, bro. I've experienced that before. I'm worried about having the potential and wasting it. I'm taking my time but doing something small all the time- to keep the momentum going. Like Checkmate said, il xaraka baraka.

Baashi   

^I hear u shez.

Checkmate u r snake in the grass buddy. It was xaraka xaraka laa baraka :D Not other way around.

Faheema.   

sheherazade I know what you mean sis, I am hoping to set up my own business hopefully by next year, I am sort of half way there... currently I am doing some freelance/contract work, but even that is getting to me now :(

Anyways,let me give you some motivation :D , here's another Dot Com success :(

Travelocity buys Lastminute.com for £577m

By Tim Richardson

Published Thursday 12th May 2005

Lastminute.com is to be snapped up by US travel giant Sabre for £577m, the one-time dotcom darling confirmed today.

News to the buy-out comes less than 24 hours after Lastminute.com announced it had "received an approach which may or may not result in an offer being made for the Company" - prompting shares to rocket more than 40 per cent.

Today's offer by Travelocity Europe, a Sabre subsidiary, equates to 165p a share. Before yesterday's leap Lastminute.com's share price had been bumbling along at around 105p.

The deal needs shareholder approval but execs at Lastminute.com are right behind the deal.

Said founder and chief exec Brent Hoberman: "Today's offer from Sabre is an endorsement of the achievements of everyone at lastminute.com. Over the past seven years, we have built a business from scratch into one of Europe's leading travel and leisure groups, with over seven million customers and total transactions worth £992 million for the financial year ended 30 September, 2004."

For Sabre, the pairing of Lastminute.com and Travelocity will boost its presence in Europe particularly in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia and Spain.

By being able to extend its range of content - adding hotels, car hire and gifts to holidays and flights but as well - Travelocity reckons the tie-up "provides greater opportunity to profit from the fast-growing European online segment".

Publishing results for the first six months of the year today Lastminute.com described its performance as "solid". Turnover almost doubled to £222m compared to £111.5m during H1 2004, while pre-tax losses rose from £39.5m to £45.2m. ®