Sign in to follow this  
Sherban Shabeel

Learning Somali

NASSIR   

Blessed, u wlc sis.

Yeah it's useful and share it with whoever is interested. Most people think that Somali textbooks are gone and irrecoverable due to the long civil/tribal war.

Adnaan, saaxib that is hard question. You have to read the text first to get a grasp of that Layli

Originally posted by Blessed*:

Haha. Every time someone wants to learn Somali, nomads confuse the heck out of them.

I agree with Marx. If you want to learn the grammar, you're better off approaching Somali elders and trained professionals. Most of us here have learnt Somali 'naturally' and were not schooled on the rules of language- hence all the differences in translation.

MMA,

Buuga aad sheegtay magaciisa ma soo ogaan kartaa, baliis?

Waxaa la dhahaa buugga Barashada Naxwaha Afsoomaaliga, (though spelled "Af Soomaali"). [subtitled: A Somali School Grammar.] Waxaana qoray Cabdalle Cumar Mansuur iyo Annarita Puglielli.

Baloogaan ila arag asagana. Ma xumo.

Blessed   

^Mahadsanid. Website-ka uu Nasir iisayay ayaan ka helay buug la dhaho 'Asaaska Naxwaha Af Somaaliga'. I'm going through that now blog-ana waan eegi.

RedSea   

sherben Shabeel: what made you interested in the somali language and all things somali? You probably asked this before so excuse if you have already answered.

Aaliyyah   

just go to somalia and spend there few months. You will come back speaking it rather well and yeah choose what dialect you wanna pick..we have several dialects..the main ones would be northern/southern/af maymay......(sorry if i left out anyone lol)

I will suggest northern dialect though and I invite you to visit laascaanod (check the map thats where I hail from)..and while you are at it please take pictures for me lol icon_razz.gif

salaam

Paragon   

The man found the doctor who wrote the letter.

Ninka waxaa uu heley warqadii uu qorey dhaqtarka.

Nassir, you got it. But how about I give it a try.

The man found the doctor who wrote the letter.

Ninku waxa uu heley dhaqtarkii warqadda qorey.

Aaliyyah   

1. Istaraasho - Kitchen cloth..yup!

2. Shukumaan - Towel..I say tuwaal!

3. Misqusha - Bathroom....I say "musqusha" with a "u" instead of "i"

4. Fariso = Sit..fadhiiso..not fariiso icon_razz.gif

5. Seexo = Sleep..right!

few disagreements but not much Koolkat smile.gif

UZTAAD   

no, Aaliya I would suggest him to go to Galkacyo the af_somali heart land, no dialect is spoken there just neatral somali neither souther dialect nor nothern one, this would be his Ideal distination if ever decides to go back home for afsomali. :D