Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Do opposites attract? And does it work?

You're liberal - he's conservative.

You're a vegetarian - he's a meat eater.

You hate horror movies - he absolutely loves horror movies.

You love romantic movies - he can't stand romantic movies.

You're an extrovert - he's an introvert.

You're a morning person - he's a night owl.

You're a homebody - he enjoys the outdoors.

You want a big family - he wants a maximum of 3.

You're organized - he's messy.

The list can go on - different tastes in movies, clothes, books, tv shows, drinks/food, hobbies, sports, temperature of the room, colour of the walls, furniture styles and how to spend time and money. In the short term, people can work around these issues - but long term wise, can opposites have a successful relationship, keeping in mind that what can in the begining of the relationship attract you can also bug the heck out of you later on.

Would you be able to overlook or work through the differences or would you rather spend your life with someone who likes, does, and wants similiar things that you do?

Viking   

All that matters is how much you are ready to compromise. If you are going to argue about movies, clothes, tv-shows etc then your effort should be directed in learning about what is important in life.

Liking the same things (careers or subjects) is not important; if you are a scientist and he is an interior designer, the contrast is healthy as you have a good chance of learning about each others trade. As long as you are flexible and respectful, then it wouldn't matter what your [difference of] interests in life are.

Key things - compromise, flexibilty, patience and respect.

Baluug   

Men and women are for the most part completely opposite anyways, so yeah, opposites attract. As long as the couple aren't too far apart from each other.

Wax Soomaalida ku saabsan lasoo shirtag, sida heblaayo jecel inay aroos ka maqnaan, xaajigeena wadaad ah oo neceb.

Mise jaamac jaad ka kicin, ooradiisana maskiin suufi iska ah oo jaad u dulqaadan karin.

Ama xaaska jecel inay qolka uunsi ku shido, asagana sanboor qabo neceb.

Ama dahab ama dirac intaas joog ha la isku gato jecel xaaska, asagana in uu awoodo iska dhaafee, taano ma uu quuro waa baqeyl ama faqiir.

Ama heblaayo telefoonka see aroortii u qabsado salka dhexe ayee dhigtaa, asagana wax cunto u kariyo ayuu waaye.

Ama jaamacana suu galabtii biibato qaxwo lagu cabo u fariisto uu ku afleerinaayo uu habeenkii waqtiga dambe soo noqdaa, iyadoo see u sugeysay daashay, ciyaal ka warqab iskaba daa.

Not 'vegetarian' ama 'meat eater,' mise 'like horror movies' or 'not like horror movies.'

^Thanks for the somali lesson, but you didn't answer by q. And why should I task my lil brain cells when you always come to the rescue? smile.gif

Viking, true...but as human's we're not blessed with an endless well of patience, neither can we compromise without feeling that we got the bad end of the deal. I know some of the points I mentioned are trivial - but add them up and one can pretty much make mountains out of molehills.

MC Xamar, good point. :D But what consitutes as 'too far apart'? At what point does it become a problem that threatens the relationship?

Would you be able to overlook or work through the differences or would you rather spend your life with someone who likes, does, and wants similiar things that you do?

Similiarity in such fundemental things as religion and culture is desirable, but when it comes to ideas and taste in all things, I would prefer someone who has diffirent approach than me. It is more fun and interesting dat way. N Yes oppisites do attract despite their stark contrasts.