Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

Harar and Dire Dawa.......

Fabregas   

Do Pan-Somaliyiins think that cities like Dire Dawa and Harar are part of " Greater Somalia" even though these cities are also settled historically my other Muslims groups and tribes such as Oromo,Harari etc?

Harar is a Harari city. GJ, let us not rob these muslim folks. smile.gif

Dire Dawa was traditionally a "Somali" city (or at least bear a resemblance to), but in recent years the Amharas and Oromos have been moving in droves hence the recent shift in city demographics. I think the Dire Dawa seat in the Ethiopian parliament goes to the Amharas now, if I am not mistaken, thanks in part to Maryooleey being so at odds with one another along clan lines.

PS: Majority of the Somalis in Dire Dawa are from the Somali clans that inhabit Djibouti and surrounding areas.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Harar is a Harari city. GJ, let us not rob these muslim folks.
smile.gif

Libaax, yaa is lahaa taariikh baa kugu yar. Harar is recorded in history as a Somali city, built by Somalis, and has recorded Somali rulers.

Here is a biography of the nephew of Ahmed Gurey, an Emir who built much of the city.

WallsofHarar.JPG

nuurpd8.png

tombqc1.jpg

In the context of Somaliweyn, Dirir Dhaba(along with Jigjiga)is a key city for us in ******ia, Harar on the other hand, belongs to the Harari and the Oromo, even though we have been integral in its history.

Both these cities Ethiopia will never relinquish, Dirir Dhaba is the 2nd largest city in the country, and Harar is a world heritage site.

me   

Originally posted by Scipio Africanus:

Both these cities
Ethiopia will never relinquish
, Dirir Dhaba is the 2nd largest city in the country, and Harar is a world heritage site.

There goes that plan of asking them xabashes friendly.

Demographics are working against us. JigJiga is in danger when you look at the demographics, iskaba daa Dirir Dhabe and Harar. Having said that Dirir Dhabe and Harar are Somali cities. The surounding areas are Somali or partly Somali and Somali setllers were the first for Dirir Dhabe, only when the Railroad to jabuuti was established did the city grow and attract many Oromo's and Amhara.

Harar is is also Somali and the surrounding area's are inhabited by Somalis. The original Harari's also spoke Somali.

So yes in Dirir Dhabe and Harar with a special status are a part of greater Somalia.

If you ask me Harar should be the Somali capital.

me   

Nahhh lets concentrate on dreaming well if we are going to dream...why have a half-a$$ed dream, if you can have a good one ;)

Fabregas   

Harar was cultrually an Islamic/Muslim city and the idea that All Somalis should be governed by one ruler didn't exist at that time! I mean it is interesting how some ppl oppose the idea of Somalis declaring their own states, when historically Somalis always had their own sultanates, emirates and clan enclaves, just like they have today! Of course there were times when Somali individuals and Emirs attempted to put a large section of Somalis under their control such as the ****** dyansty, Sayid Mohamed and Imam Ahmad Gurey!

Both Diradhabe and Xarar have Soomaalis names. That is enough for us.

The word xarar degmooyin iyo tuulooyin badan Soomaaliyeed loogu magacdaray, sida Xarardheere, Xararyaale...

Diradhabo oo micnaheedana ah meeshii la isku dhameeye -- dirir [fight] iyo dhabe [a place of...], example Baydhabo [a place of Baay tree].

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Both Diradhabe and Xarar have Soomaalis names. That is enough for us.

The word
xarar
degmooyin iyo tuulooyin badan Soomaaliyeed loogu magacdaray, sida Xarardheere, Xararyaale...

Diradhabo oo micnaheedana ah meeshii la isku dhameeye --
dirir
[fight] iyo
dhabe
[a place of...], example Baydhabo [a place of Baay tree].

Names mean nothing. Because the identities of cities and change and with time new cultures and peoples shape their destinies. Adiss Ababa was founded by Oromos/Muslims and it was originally called Adiss Ababa. That means nothing because today it a mulitcultural city with people from. The Oromo can never reclaim or claim that city in menaingful political fashion. This probably the case with Harar and to a lesser extent Harar. Of course I am not saying SOmalis somewhere down the line can't shape the indetities of those towns. In fact alot of history suggests that SOmalis Muslims were very influential in carrying the Islamic culture across the Horn. However, some racist historians and ignorant SOmalis contributed to Semetic Arabs and whatnots. They even claimed that Zeylac was founded and owned by semetic Arab people, when Ibn Batuta researched the Somali people and found that the Berberis live " from Zeylac to Muqdihshaw". This is also the case with Muqdishaw,which some peope still think was found by persians or some nonsense like that. Lakin, leave Harar and Dhire Dhaba alone we have to worry about Bayhdhabo and Muqdisho today. As one Somali Sheikh said after the invasion " Somalis used to fight Habesha expansion all the way near Harar and even in Tigray region", " maanta waxa la maraya baadi Muqdisho, xageyenu u socono inagu?

J11, I have seen that video before, pretty interesting man.......

Gar-haye   

British waaye waxa eeno qabtey etiopia. they portray themselves as the most sympathetice of people, but they crossed every one, the arabs, the turkish, and the somalis, and many other nations. khayaano iyo dagger ayaaga loo daayey.