Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

The job is filled -- Click

Any recent newcomer and immigrant to Kanada can relate to the following article I was reading the other day on the paper, especially those highly educated ones trying to get a job they do qualify or one corresponding to the respective fields they've studied.

An all-encompassing hurdle called "Canadian experience" is the wall the immigrants always seem to face.

-------------

M. MURESAN

January 4, 2008

International experience? Fluent in seven languages? I'm sorry, the manager is not available

Welcome to Canada. A brief smile and a nod. Get my luggage, peck on the cheek and off we go.

Take in the sights, walk around neighbourhoods, navigate the transit system, absorb the ambience - the honeymoon period. CN Tower: check. Kensington Market: check. Niagara Falls: check (wow!) - the tourist period.

Welcome to Toronto! This is the website where you can find job postings; make sure you check it regularly. Oh, you're familiar with it from abroad? And you've been applying for months already? Remember, 80 per cent of jobs are in the hidden job market - networking is the way to go. Yes, yes, I see, how does a newcomer manage to network? All right, here are the workshops we offer on writing resumés, doing interviews, job search strategies. No, we won't actually find a job for you; we'll give you the skills so you can do it yourself.

I'm sorry, the manager is not available, what is this regarding? I'm afraid our company doesn't have any current openings. Check the website regularly. Thank you. Click.

Hi, the position has been filled internally. Thank you for your interest. Click.

Yes, we are still accepting resumés. Please e-mail human resources and we will get back to you. Oh, you've sent it already? Please wait until someone from our company contacts you. Thank you for applying. Click.

The manager is in a meeting, may I ask who is calling? You need to make an appointment to see the manager in person, and he is booked solid until February. I'm sorry, what is this regarding? Yes, I'm sure he has read your letter and knows what an asset you would be to our company. Yes, fluent in several languages, years of co-ordinating international operations and logistics. ... Can I put you on hold? Click.

Tell me about your work experience. No Canadian experience, eh? But you have worked in international trade, foreign relations and policy analysis since I was in diapers? I'm sorry, the North American work environment is very specific and we need someone with local knowledge. Oh, but you have a graduate degree from a leading university in the United States? Canada is different and we cannot use your skills. We will call you if something opens. Thank you for your interest. Click.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should submit an electronic version of their application outlining their education, experience and contact information for three references.

I'm sorry, your application is incomplete, please complete the references field. Your references are international? Write them down, of course we will call them. Our company hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and aboriginal persons. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for submitting the form.

Describe a situation where you have had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it. Furious dignitaries? Trade fiascos? No, no, I mean when someone got upset and you talked them down. Company CEOs don't count. How about someone who had a problem with your management's service? Yes, yes, if you were the management that works too, like, whatever ...

Come out West, we need employees with every skill! What trade do you have: Can you weld, are you a carpenter? We might have some office work for you too, sure. What do you know about oil? Are you up to speed on the oil sands? If you want to make money you should consider the oil industry, but you know, with your age. ... Physical labour will earn you the big bucks, but hey come anyway and we'll find you something. You bet, just call when you arrive, settle down and we'll figure it out. Yes, it's true, housing availability is at a historic low and rent prices have exploded, but we're sure you'll manage.

Can you count money? You show up on time? You speak English? Ha ha, I know you are speaking English to me right now, but I mean English like these Canadians. You know, double-double? Toonie? Loonie? Okay, you try for two days and we see if you are good. I need somebody for 14 hours tomorrow and 12 on Wednesday.

Pay? If you stay I pay you cash, if you go, sorry. Pay is soon, yes, don't worry so much. You press No. 1 for this and No. 2 for that. Don't forget. If they ask you for No. 3, just say we are out. When I fix it, you press No. 3 when they ask. Don't forget.

One vanilla chai latte with skim milk and chocolate sprinkles. Keep the change? I will, thank you. Click. Have a nice day. A brief smile and a nod.

O Canada.

^ very True

At first they say not enough 'Canadian' experience. but once you have it then 'over qualified' becomes the problem.

It is easy to give up, but don't, inshalaah something will come along.

Tuujiye   

Waraa MMA adiga in aan katarabiil soo qaadano oo kaa kicino Tim Hortans waaye yaaqee.. saan xaalo ma aha seecamal!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Tuujiye   

lol... abti waxaa ladhahay Tim Hortans habraha ka shaqeeyaan markaa soo gashid "oo casanova" ee kuugu yeeraan run miyaa?

Wareer Badanaa!!

Kool_Kat   

"oo casanova" ee kuugu yeeraan run miyaa?

Layzie, tanoo kale typical Kix Kix Kix ma aha...Sida eey camal loo qoslaa: WAH WAH WAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAH WAH WAH WAH...

Tuujiya, ina hooyo intee ka baxday? Malagu guursaday? Bajaqdii aanku baray maaku qarsatay? Ooooops, sorry way iga soo fakatay...Layzie ha xanaaqin yaa, ani mugoo bajaq ma barin ninkaanee...

Ar Tuujiyoow this 'Katarabiil' ku xasuustee, waa dhexdaas eh not too long ago, Tim Hortons aan Drive Thru leheen galay gudihiisa...Minding my own business, waxaa maqlooyaa lee koo meesha ka had hadlooyo "oobis", "hokey", "Koronto" just random words...MMA lee maskaxdeyda kusoo dhacay...So I listened closeley (yea war jeceel lee iga dheh)...N'way, the more he talked the more aan u mooday this MMA character...So I walked over and asked straight up "Aboow MMA maa tahay"...INDHO_ADEEG.COM lee iga dheh...Long story short, aw heelo wuuba dhalaali rabay, thinking gabadhaan cadee kuusan qurxoon maaba ku taqaan, bababababaaay...Isagoo ear to ear smile gareenaayo "haa abaay, tee waaye adi?"...Soon as he said that, the manager came over, said "sir, you and your friends (seven of them) need to leave, you baught two coffees and have been sitting here for two hours"...Ani shib lee iska dhahay, tartiibtay coffee gayga usoo qaatay...Buriskeedaay...

Khayr   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-

The manager is in a meeting, may I ask who is calling? You need to make an appointment to see the manager in person, and he is booked solid until February. I'm sorry, what is this regarding? Yes, I'm sure he has read your letter and knows what an asset you would be to our company. Yes, fluent in several languages, years of co-ordinating international operations and logistics. ... Can I put you on hold? Click.

I've heard it before....

In fact, one time I applied for a job and wanted feedback on it. I was persistent enough and lucky me, the manager's admin. assistant booked me a phone meeting and not a personal meeting (manager was too busy for in person meeting :rolleyes: ) at the end of the workday (around 5pm), on a friday before a long weekend. This was booked a month down the road from the date of my initial inquiry. Such generosity....

I'm sorry, your application is incomplete, please complete the references field. Your references are international? Write them down, of course we will call them. Our company hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and aboriginal persons. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for submitting the form.

That is a legal afront. What they often mean in layman's terms is "We already have Samantha the Temp, in mind to do the position on a permanent basis but due to legal obligations and disclosure rules, we have to post the job"

Ar Tuujiyoow this 'Katarabiil' ku xasuustee, waa dhexdaas eh not too long ago, Tim Hortons aan Drive Thru leheen galay gudihiisa...Minding my own business, waxaa maqlooyaa lee koo meesha ka had hadlooyo "oobis", "hokey", "Koronto" just random words...MMA lee maskaxdeyda kusoo dhacay...So I listened closeley (yea war jeceel lee iga dheh)...N'way, the more he talked the more aan u mooday this MMA character...So I walked over and asked straight up "Aboow MMA maa tahay"...INDHO_ADEEG.COM lee iga dheh...Long story short, aw heelo wuuba dhalaali rabay, thinking gabadhaan cadee kuusan qurxoon maaba ku taqaan, bababababaaay...Isagoo ear to ear smile gareenaayo "haa abaay, tee waaye adi?"...Soon as he said that, the manager came over, said "sir, you and your friends (seven of them) need to leave, you baught two coffees and have been sitting here for two hours"...Ani shib lee iska dhahay, tartiibtay coffee gayga usoo qaatay...Buriskeedaay...

068.gif068.gif068.gif068.gif

Ar saan maala isku caarifaa. Saanaa? Haye, adigana maku kashifaa hee. Maxaa kusoo giliye hee Tim Hortonka adiga, LoL. Drive-thru uu qabaa nooh. Sheeko...sheeko.

-------------

lol... abti waxaa ladhahay Tim Hortans habraha ka shaqeeyaan markaa soo gashid "oo casanova" ee kuugu yeeraan run miyaa?

Kaasanoofa kulahaa. Waraa, aniga Kaasabalbalaare aala i dhahaa. Kuweesto! :D

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

An all-encompassing hurdle called "Canadian experience" is the wall the immigrants always seem to face.

I don't think this problem is unique to canada? what about the US, i'm sure with 10X the population of canada, the problem is ten times worse there redface.gif

someone once told me that canada basically wants the immigrants' children :/ and all the educated and highly trained immigrants here probably will never have thier credentials recognized and will have to resort to menial jobs (not that there's anything wrong with those jobs. a job's a job right?) our parents are making a huge sacrifice for us, I wish a lot of the younger kids acting up these days would get thier heads out of thier asses and recognize this.

Aaliyyah   

^^I agree fully that our parents are sacrificing a lot. I have came across with many Somali parents who hold foreign degrees. Some are trying to get a job in their fields as it is hard bt not impossible if you put so much effort. But, it does get harder when a parent has to take care of his kids, and is forced to work full time in a factory or drive taxi all day long. so yes our parents gave up their dreams so we could have a better life, and some Somali kids fail to see that. So it is fairly disappointing.

Haneefah   

It's a real slap on the face for new professional immigrants, who give up everything they had in their countries and spend every penny on making the move in hopes of leading more prosperous lives here; only to find themselves trapped and manipulated by the system.

Medical professionals are hit the hardest I believe. I have a friend from Egypt, an MD with 12 yrs of medical/public health experience as well as postgraduate degrees who's been struggling to find a career in the health care field for years now. She's now given up and resorted to doing yet another postgrad degree in public health to give her that sought after 'Canadian experience'. Extremely frustrated and literally wishes she had never left home. Fortunately, her husband who is also an MD miraculously found a residency position with a rural health region. Thousands more of IMGs find themselves in the same predicament.

It's huge issue that must be takled by the government that keeps attracting while misinforming these poor foreigners.