Sign in to follow this  
Naxar Nugaaleed

East Africa's Dubai Woman

THE "DUBAI WOMEN" OF EAST AFRICA AND THEIR INCREASING ROLE IN TRADE

by Elinami Veraeli Swai & Maurice N. Amutabi

This article focuses on a very important phenomenon in the economic history of East Africa which started in the 1990s and in which women were the major actors. The phenomenon began just after the end of the Cold War and was dominated by jet-set women engaged in import/export trade on their own terms without the usual male support. These women took the market by storm. They sold expensive electronics such as radios, televisions, CD and DVD players; they also sold furniture, bed sheets and blankets, shoes, watches, dresses, and household appliances such as fridges and cookers, iron boxes, and cars from Dubai (the free port of the United Arab Emirates). These women started off small, but by the late 1990s, they were controlling large business empires and living in exclusive neighbourhoods such as Oyster Bay in Dar-Es-Salaam and Lavington in Nairobi. They frequented fashionable shopping stalls, created by women and which became popular from the 1990s among middle class women in Dar-Es-Salaam and Nairobi.

"These women took the market by storm...

(They) started off small, but by the late 1990s, they were controlling large business empires and living in exclusive neighbourhoods."

link to the article for those who want read the whole thing

Tuujiye   

^^^^^^^^^See adiga horta ku noqotay Senior nomad kaalay Horta? Waxaan dhan yaa aqrinaayo aad uqabtaa cuuuuuuuuudu bilaah, waraa waxaan oo kale waa lasoo koobaa nooh dhoore yahoo!!! shiiiiiiidh!!!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

^^ guess i got lucky but its basically about the history of East African business woman who have come be known as Dubai Woman much like the mama benz of West Africa, but will do sir

Indhoos   

Interesting topic, Laakiin aqri markaa is dhahay weershaa noqon gaaray, mises waaba noqday, mahubo...heh, my eyes are my best assets, check the avatar... so summary please. Tanag yuu.

Indhoos posted:

my eyes are my best assets,

Somali girls normally pick another part of their body to be their best asset. :D your choice of asset makes more sense

Indhoos   

Originally posted by Ducaysane:

quote:Indhoos posted:

Somali girls normally pick another part of their body to be their best asset.
:D
your choice of asset makes more sense
What part? Allah...Parts xataa ma'ahan yaah. ar adigaa...mashaqo.

Apart from the African continent Somali women in the Diaspora are the "NEW" Dubai women. Come visit Minnesota or Columbus Somali owned shops are filled with merchandise from Dubai or Saudia. Women are leaving their mark. smile.gif

Originally posted by Indhoos:

quote:Originally posted by Ducaysane:

quote:

Indhoos posted:

Somali girls normally pick another part of their body to be their best asset.
:D
your choice of asset makes more sense
What part? Allah...Parts xataa ma'ahan yaah. ar adigaa...mashaqo.
Only in Duceysane's mind. :D

Duqa, nala share garee, what are those 'parts' nooh. I assume they are 'parts,' not one part kaliya.

Haatu   

u mean the ehem in hargeisa maybe JB :D nive land feature is a clue for those that don't understand me.