Sign in to follow this  
checkmate

Somali Jews

Astonished, Amazed, Surprised and Mad (by this topic)...am feeling the same thing ur feeling right. This weekend i went with my father in-law ta visit some of his old friends, after talking bout issues regarding Politics, Culture and religion some how the topic of somali JEWS came into effect walaahi i couldn't believe wat i was hearing.. they are called YIBIR they say that they were part of the felasha's but some how they migrated ta somalia long time ago, they adapted the somalian way of living (being nomads n all) and languege....they say that the word YIBIR came from the word HEBREW...... this is so krazy .....

PS: if anyone of u has ever heard such thing please share and if NOT please find ways ta get more info on these ppl by either word of mouth, books and internet.....ama be on it like glue

asxantu

Qac Qaac   

Yes man u r right, I believe we have Jews in Somalia, and i heard the samething as u saying.

they say Yibir is from hebrew in arabic i think is cibrew.

but what it counts is that they are muslims now, and who cares where their origin is from. but they exist in Somalia and everywhere in the world, the other day i saw Chinese Jew. so what the heck.... Somalia is located beside ocean everyone came. Arabs, Jews, Turkis, Persians, Portugees, Spanish, Greece, Russian, American, Italians, French, British....

p.s. I heard barawe ppl, are originated from Portugees, is that true.

Blessed   

The yibir tribe are NOT JEWS. They are Muslims.

It's rude to call them what they ain't!

having said that, why does the thought of none-Muslim Somalis upset you? Somaliness doesn't guarantee Muslimness. Not every Somali is / has to be a Muslim.. you need to respect or if thats too much for you at least accept it...

Originally posted by Qac Qaac:

p.s. I heard barawe ppl, are originated from Portugees, is that true.

No that is NOT true but rather a daman right lie.

Why are you so shocked and surprised that Somalis arent just muslims?

Thing is, who cares? People are entitled to their choices of religion, just like we are!

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:

Q,

they might be. I heard Barawanis (?sp) come from different places, like indian, yemen, etc. I heard of the Portoguese one as well.

I hate to disappoint you, Bravanese people do not come from Portugal but they come from Yemen, Oman and some other parts of Arabia. However, if you know something I do not please share it with the rest of us. I am more than happy to learn anything new you have to say about the Bravanese people, since this will give me the chance to learn some history. I am eagerly waiting for any new info.

Sue, why should the topic be deleted??

NGONGE   

Shock! Horror! Shock! Maseebo!

Next you'll be telling us that Camels can be found in Australia and the Middle East!

I even heard a ridiculous rumour that in some remote parts of Mauritania they have (gulp), erm, eeen, err..NOMADS!

Seriously though, I don't know if this story is true or not but it really is not that important, is it? If there are Somali Jews, so what? They'll be a minority in Somali Society and they don't really pose a threat to our way of life. Live and let live, my brother. Live and let live.

Am not to happy about the reference to tribes but i dont think the intention of the poster was to instigate such reference's but rather a general query.

Lets keep it informed and factual, if it deteriorates into opnions that are offensive then this topic will be reviewed.

Many Thanks Nomads smile.gif

I don't know if this story is true or not but it really is not that important, is it?...... They'll be a minority in Somali Society

Came across another minority group in the somalian society.I remember being told the story of the Zigwa people as they were taken from Tanga , Tanzania.

http://www.somalibantu.com/Hist_Sombantu1.htm.

Heres a page dedicated to the Baravanese. Doesnt have alot of info as in their origins, http://www.coding-zone.co.uk/bravanese/misc.shtml

Came across another minority group in the somalian society.I remember being told the story of the Zigwa people as they were taken from Tanga , Tanzania.

neva heard of these guys (ZIGWA) they say u live n u learn.. the website u gav sidasis for the somalibantu didn't work for me ...... But i really liked the one bout the banaadir peeps even thou i don't think is all true but ta say the least it was informative...

The Banaadirs (also spelled “Benadir”) are people with their roots in ancient Arabia, Persia and South and Central Asia. Their name is derived from a Persian word “Bandar” which means “harbor” or port, reflecting their origins as seafaring traders who crossed the Indian Ocean to the easternmost part of Africa and established centers of commerce which linked that continent with Asia.

Q) who were the ppl (blacks) livin in the somalia/banadir region at that time?

Q)how did these ppl find the land

Q) how come all of a sudden the history of somali started from southern somalia?

asxantu

Q