Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

UK MPs on expenses scandal

Ms DD   
MPs' expenses

MPs' expenses: The Telegraph's investigation, The Expenses Files, into how politicians - from Gordon Brown's Cabinet to backbenchers of all parties - exploit the system of parliamentary allowances to subsidise their lifestyles and multiple homes.

Ex-minister claimed for non-existent mortgage

Labour MP Elliot Morley claimed £16,000 for repaid mortgage.

John Maples claims Pall Mall club as main home

The deputy chairman of the Conservative Party declared a private members’ club as his main home to the parliamentary authorities

More than 20 MPs pledge to pay back £100,000

Ministers and MPs pledge to return more than £100,000 of taxpayers' money as politicians admit to abuse of system.

Source

Apparently Telegraph is accused of paying for the stolen information[/QB]

Is there anyone else in the country who would forget paying off their mortgage?

I would like to know why the Fraud Squad and Inland Revenue aren't getting involved in these "mistakes". Will it be OK for the general public to say sorry for "accidentally" committing fraud in the future?

On the other hand, given the chance everyone would do the same..if they havent done so already.

N.O.R.F   

An absolute disgrace! Why are they allowed to claim such expenses in the first place? Don't they get paid well enough already?

Malika   

Why are they no 'fraud'charges against these members of Parliment?

I cant help but snigger at 'first world democractic policy makers' caught stealing..Ah! Mugabe must be enjoying this..Lol

If I was an MP, I would not just claim expenses for regular things like a second home even though I would probably serve in London, but also make sure that my family and friends benefit greatly too.

This whole fiasco has had a bad effect on the creditability of MPs and democracy in general. People don't respect MPs in this country. It’s a travesty!