Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Why are Somali men unromantic?

Nephissa   

Originally posted by Modesty:

Is it me or every Somali guy doesn't know how to treat women? Like they don't hold doors for you
:D

Ish! Even the once that do, only check out your rear, and then smile all innocent like they were just doing the gentlemanly thing. :rolleyes: NO THANKS, I can open my own damn door and pump my own gas.

Kool_Kat   

Rudy, rageedii walahi...

Why must I feel like that

Why must I chase the cat

Just the dog in me

Nothin but the dog in me...

Gosh, you have some mind!!! :D

BOB   

Salam Aleikum W.W

This Bloody Materialistic World...!

Just because I can't afford to buy you diamonds doesn't mean I treasure you less...

Just because I refuse to treat you like a piece of property by buying you a hideous yet expensive dress and parade you around doesn't mean I cherish you less...

Just because I don't buy you flowers on Valentine's day doesn't mean you haven't captured my heart yet for my love for you doesn't need no date or calendar to be expressed....

I am more romantic than the fake people you see on the screen...for starters my love for you doesn't begin or end in this life time but to eternity...that's why I wake you up for Fajar prayers so you would reap the benefits in this world and in the hereafter as well...

I honour you with my dear life that's why I will protect you to my last breath...

I respect you more than you realize by asking you first and then your parents your hand in marriage before you've been to anywhere near my bed...

I never humiliate you by sleeping with your friends or worse your relatives behind your back for I know I shall be stoned to death...

I'm more romantic than any man alive and you will love me with all the love that your heart is capable of ONLY if I follow the ways of our noble prophet p.b.u.h and how he used to treat his wives and treat you exactly the way he told us to treat our womenfolk...

Show me any man...regardless his colour or creed who can sustain his "romantic" side unless he's a true Muslim who has learned how to treat women from books of our prophet's sunnahs and until you find such man...Don't waste your time looking for such man as he doesn't exist...Sad but True.

I know many of you would argue "What's romance got to do with religion"...I suggest you start doing some research on how the prophet p.b.u.h used to treat his wives and then you'll realize how lucky we're as a Muslim people to have such books that teache us how to have the most wonderful marriage any being with heart & soul could ever imagine...

My dearest & beloved sister...Sorry I couldn't give you the answer you were looking for...I promise I will try harder next time Insha Allah.

Good Luck.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB, kala saar Love, Devotion iyo Romance. What you described is Love and Devotion which are the cornerstone of marriage. Laakin Romance is a great thing too - its the small gestures designed to bring a smile to your partner's face - the unexpected surprises - holidays, presents, diners, celebrations etc. It doesnt mean your marriage is any less legitimate or even happy if you cant afford them or dont think of them as unnecessary, laakin dont mock it as a western concept. I happen to think its Romance that makes a marriage exciting.. smile.gif

BOB   

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

[QB] its the small gestures designed to bring a smile to your partner's face - the unexpected surprises - holidays, presents, diners, celebrations etc.

What is the chance that the wifey will be moaning to her parents when I take her to Hajj for a "Holi-day" by buying the 1st class tickets instead of two weeks at the Kismayo beaches?

I'm sorry if I sound such a 'Yesterday Man' but these days the word Romance is so corrupted that there's every chance the guy or even the girl will be expecting a "kiss" after their first "date" just because they saw it on the bloody TV and that sort of romance is the one I totally condemn....but I understand what you're saying and thanks for the tip...I will go and buy her a dozen of balloons so she could blow them up one by one...at times its sweet to let go of yourself and act like a typical 10 year old isn't it...I find that very romantique... :D

on a serious note though...How many people in here would believe that the Prophet p.b.u.h raced against Aisha (r.a) alone in the desert?...and he lost to her and then got his revenge later on when she gained bit weight? He used to entertain them, his wives that is...he was by far the most 'romantic' man that ever lived now I would love to race against my beloved and see how fast she can run but I'm afraid she will run to her parents complaining "Allah ba'ayeey nin doqon ah baan guursaday" :confused:

It doesnt mean your marriage is any less legitimate or even happy if you cant afford them or dont think of them as unnecessary, laakin dont mock it as a western concept. I happen to think its Romance that makes a marriage exciting..

Come on...we both know it makes a whole lot difference to the marriage if the guy can afford to buy her expensive gifts every now and then so he could avoid being yelled at or perhaps he could be having a second wife behind your back while you're busy admiring your expensive presents...my point is the word Romance is so misused by our somali bilcaan that they're abusing it without even knowing it...

What you read on the novels and see on the telly doesn't apply to reality...I can make myself sound the most romantic Somali guy ever but I don 't want to simply because I'm bit realistic and it's time bilcaamaha to follow suit.

Eid Mubarak Serenity I hope you had a one serene Eid. smile.gif

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Baashi   

I wonder how many Somali men the poster has dated, befriended (platonic), or married to reach the conclusion inherent in her question. Somalis like any other ethnic group have their character flaws and shortcomings, of course, but reading some of the comments posted by the members about Somalis it really makes you wonder where this apparent low self-steem is stemming!!!

Fabregas   

If you live in London, constantly opening doors for ppl and saying "sorry" everytime you go within an inch of them is habit you quickly pick up on travels!