Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Sentiimentalism

Khayr   

The fashion for sentimental novels started in the mid-eighteenth century with the publication of Rousseau's Julie, ou La Nouvelle Héloïse (1762) and Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther (1774). Throughout the 18th century and earlier, upper-class male-female sexual relations had mainly consisted of a) quick gratification with a prostitute, b) marriages arranged for financial and social reasons, and c) affairs and seductions after marriage. These two novels introduced a new kind of sentimental love that "etherialized sex and made it into an affair of religious devotion rather than the body, a secular equivalent to the love a religious devotee feels towards the godhead. It burgeoned in rural simplicity rather than panelled drawing rooms, seeking--and failing--to transcend all social restrictions and conventions. It gloried in the pain as well as the exaltation of love and thought in terms of the commitment of a lifetime--Jane Austen's Marianne Dashwood is typical of her disapproval of 'second attachments'. Most significantly, it believed that man and woman in love could be free and equal--equally noble, equally passionate" (Christiansen 99).

Along with a new vision of love, sentimentalism presented a new view of human nature which prized feeling over thinking, passion over reason, and personal instincts of "pity, tenderness, and benevolence" over social duties. Rousseau insisted that people were naturally good, and that "natural feeling could only flourish in natural surroundings, away from the corruptions of cities, with their spirit of emulation and greed" (Christiansen 96). Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" celebrates the "homely joys" (30) of simple farmers, contrasting them with the "pomp of power" and the learning and pride of those who live in cities. The second part of Gray's poem imagines itself as an elegy for a natural poet, a "mute, inglorious Milton" (59) who lived "Far from the madding crowd" (73). In her novel Sense and Sensibility (1811), Jane Austen contrasts two sisters, one (Elinor) who approaches life and love with "sense" (reason) and the other (Marianne) who navigates by her "sensibility" (instinct or feeling). The first sister runs the risk of missing out on romance altogether, while the second risks being deceived or "ruined" by a charming but dissolute fortune-hunter.

Later, in 1859, George Meredith defined sentimentalists as readers who seek escape--and only escape--from consequences, from themselves, and from real emotion:

"Sentimentalists . . . are they who seek to enjoy Reality without the incurring the Immense Debtorship for a thing done."

"It is . . .a happy pastime, and an important science, to the timid, the idle, and the heartless, but a damning one to them who have anything to forfeit."

George Meredith, The Ordeal of Richard Feverel, chapter 28 (1859)

SOURCE

Does SENTIMENTALITY hamper or aid in your view of:

• PEOPLE i.e. what you think of a person
  • MOVIE REVIEWS
  • What is Right or Wrong?
Do you think SOL nomads can be

SENTIMENTALISTS? ;)

Jamilah   

PEOPLE i.e. what you think of a person

I believe it has the ability to do both. In the case of Marianne Dashwood her sentimentalism often propelled her to consider people (men in particular) from a glorifying perspective. This consequently clouded her judgment making her form inaccurate assessments and thus hampered her capacity to view a person realistically. However, this example is open to debate. If you are a believer that ignorance is bliss and you prefer to overlook one’s shortcomings than sentimentalism would aid your view of an individual’s character.

Does SENTIMENTALITY hamper or aid in your view of:What is Right or Wrong?

No such ambiguity exists in this question, because I believe sentimentality hampers your judgment of what you believe is right or wrong. If all of mankind allowed his feelings to govern his actions I think we would be living in a catastrophic world. After all, one must always combat against the lust of their hearts.

Do you think SOL nomads can be

SENTIMENTALISTS?

In regards to the final question posed I believe the answer is all about moderation. And somehow I believe the contrasts evident between the Dashwood sisters in Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility is trying to convey this message. One doesn’t always want to be sensible lest they be given the title king or queen ice (as my peers often refer to me as such) and on the contrary too much sentimentalism can mean naivety.

Xoogsade   

• PEOPLE i.e. what you think of a person

No. If there are no obvious anomalies in character or iniquities when we first meet or I see the person for the first time, Basically, that person is innocent till proven guilty, good till proven otherwise. No sentimentality in how I view a person.

• MOVIE REVIEWS

No. I decide what Ii want to see. But, does watching particular movies make me sentimental I wonder? I like thrillers, films made by Asians for their kung Fu and visual effects. I don't make a point in looking for a romantic movie but "Legends of the fall" was really great in my view. It explained human weakness and how blind a person can be to realities when they are obsessed with someone. Anyway, as long as there is an adventure, an interesting story line, violence/action/kung fu/serial killers on the rampage/ I am okay with them. But I like better the educational programs on TV such as Nova, Forensic Evidence(catching killers through scientific evidence and detective work), justice files, and programs that are based on real crime stories. Social documentaries. I am a sucker for real life events that have an impact on humanity.

"

• What is Right or Wrong?
"

I would say NO again.

"Do you think SOL nomads can be

SENTIMENTALISTS?"

Some can be although I didn't pay attention.

PS: Did I understand the question? :D

Baluug   

I didn't read this all the way through, because it was long and boring. But I can get sentimental sometimes.....

Nephissa   

^^ L0L

<<< Feeling so sentimental. I gotta go, need something to dry my freaking keyboard. Damn!t

Mr. Xoogsade , I see your male ego won't allow you to answer any of the questions Yes, but must you constantly try to put yourself over as big and important?

Xoogsade   

Bishaaro, my bigness and importance could exist only in your head while I may not see myself as all that important(although I am important to those who care about me) or big. Adigaa indho goonni ah igu fiirinaayo perhaps. Mise adaa kibireey ah oo qof kaloo aa u aragtid inuu isla weyn yahay waa kuu dhibaa camal waaye sheekada? LOL.

I only expressed what I think represents the real me. And I am not selling myself to anyone if that helps.

Adigaa iga didsan aan u maleenaa but if some other forumers agree with you, they can come forward and corroborate your perception of me ;)

I am no sentimentalist when it comes to the people, movie reviews and haven't paid close attention to everyone at SOL's sentimentalism.

Oops!! I did it again I think. :D

Cara.   

Is there anyone so sentimental as Khayr?

I recall a certain someone bemoaning the discussion of things like honor killings, hoping to sweep all bad things under the rug and pretend they don't exist.

Then there's the rather nostalgic references to a certain all-male band...

Seems pretty sentimental.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Jamilah:

[QB]If you are a believer that ignorance is bliss and you prefer to overlook one’s shortcomings than sentimentalism would aid your view of an individual’s character.

Sentimentalism in that case might play a role (minor role) but it isn't that overarching guide in shaping the VIEW (s) of the Believer. The
'BELIEVER'
takes into count what has shaped their PERSONALITY through their
RELIGIOUS traditions by way of REVELATION, SACRED SAYINGS, SCHOLARLY WORKS, their Religious HISTORY/TRADITION
etc.

No such ambiguity exists in this question, because I believe sentimentality hampers your judgment of what you believe is right or wrong.
If all of mankind allowed his feelings to govern his actions I think we would be living in a catastrophic world.
After all, one must always combat against the lust of their hearts.

But is this not the age wherein most people can not THINK for themselves hence the MEDIA becomes the PRIMARY source of EDUCATION i.e. Ads, Television, Print media, internet etc. and these mediums SHAPE your THOUGHTS, SHAPE your IMAGINATION and most importantly feed of your SENTIMENTS and not your 'RATIONAL FACULITIES' because MOST PEOPLE are not capable of sensing things INTELLECTUALLY and are prone to using EMOTION as a major SENSORY TOOL.

They often FEEL before they THINK, and if they THINK,then it is often lead by FEELINGS-RIGHT?

In regards to the final question posed I believe the answer is all about moderation. And somehow I believe the contrasts evident between the Dashwood sisters in Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility is trying to convey this message. One doesn’t always want to be sensible lest they be given the title king or queen ice (as my peers often refer to me as such) and on the contrary too much sentimentalism can mean naivety.

But is that really possible to achieve that BALANCE btwn SENSE and SENSIBILITY?

What determines what SENSIBILITY is anyways?

Is it society, religion, family???

Originally posted by Khayr:

...because MOST PEOPLE are not capable of sensing things
INTELLECTUALLY
and are prone to using
EMOTION
as a major
SENSORY TOOL.

Oh yeah? Where did you learn that?

Everyone who has a brain is capable of intellectualizing. Just some are better at it then others.

But is that really possible to achieve that BALANCE btwn SENSE and SENSIBILITY?

What's the difference?

What determines what SENSIBILITY is anyways?

Our brains.

Xoogsade   

SocodBadne, One is the ability to percieve and feel while the other is the organ through which you percieve and think or the act of feeling/sensing as in "I sensed". Does that make "sense" to you? :D

Bishaaro

Britney intee iga soo salaantay? Btw, caadi waaye, characterka "xoogsade" waa for fun. Ha iska faan faanee maxaa ka rabtaa? lol.