Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Museveni lauds Somali/Kenyan investors in Uganda

Yoweri.jpg

Ugandan President, Yoweri Kaguta Museveni (left), flanked by Oasis Mall Developer, Amina Hersi

Kenyan entrepreneurs have been lauded for their role in fostering regional economic development through sustained cross border trade and investments.

Speaking during the official launch of the new US$26 million Oasis Mall anchoring Nakumatt Holding’s Oasis Branch in Kampala and owned by award winning Kenyan entrepreneur Ms Amina Hersi Morghe, Uganda President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni described the investment as a landmark economic empowerment tool.

Accompanied by Uganda’s Finance minister Syda Bbumba and Nakumatt Holdings MD, Atul Shah, President Museveni singled out Nakumatt’s 24-hour operations as a trendsetter in Uganda.

Round-the-clock

In a humour filled speech, he likened the round-the-clock shopping concept to America’s Cable News Network (CNN) model, which he said, was a novelty guaranteed to further spur regional economic development. “This is a new world of shopping empowerment for Uganda shoppers,” he said.

During his guided tour of the new Oasis Shopping Mall, the president noted that a 4-acre piece of land had been transformed to a multi-million shopping complex employing more than 400 Ugandans.

While welcoming President Museveni’s warmth for Kenyan investors in Uganda, Nakumatt Holdings boss Atul Shah confirmed plans to further expand the firm’s operations in Uganda.

Barely four months into the opening of Nakumatt Oasis, Shah disclosed that business at the new hypermarket had picked up. In her speech, Uganda’s Finance Minister Bbumba reiterated Uganda’s commitment to attracting investors as part of the government’s economic prosperity plans.

Efforts by the government to diversify its economic dependence from agriculture, she said are now beginning to bear fruit with the service sector having picked up the mantle as the leading economic driver contributing more than half of the country’s gross domestic product.

“The service sector, which comprises elements such as hotels and such malls is now contributing more than 50 per cent of our GDP, followed by the Industrial sector contributing more than 25 per cent.”

She added: “This a key reason why we will continue to encourage investments in such emerging sectors which also provide market avenues for our agricultural and industrial produce.”

As the anchor tenant at Oasis Mall, Nakumatt Oasis Hypermarket is the first Nakumatt Holdings outlet in Uganda and covers a shopping floor space of more than 75,000square feet, stocked with a variety of more than 50,000 products.

Ms DD   

Can someone tell me more about Kenyan entrepreneur Ms Amina Hersi Morghe? I googled her but came up with nothing.

ElPunto   

It's Moghe rather than Morghe.

Background

Born 46 years ago in Bungoma in Western Kenya, Amina went to school in the small town where her mother Sarah Hersi Ali is still a prominent businesswoman.

But what really motivates this single mother of three? After the demise of her father, Amina admits that she and her sister were hurried into accounting school by their mother with the sole purpose of introducing them early into business.

“ In my teenage life, my sister and I were mostly helping our mother in her various businesses and we therefore did not see much of it.”

However, Amina does not regret this early introduction into the business world. Without a doubt her mother is her mentor and she also remembers the sound advice of her uncle Adam Hersi Ali, a Financial Secretary at treasury in Kenya’s Ministry of Finance. “I can describe myself as self-motivated with a passion for what I do,” she says with confidence.

http://www.monitor.c o.ug/artman/publish/ full_woman/Empowerin g_staff_is_her_secre t_80608.shtml

Ms DD   

Thanks. She sounds remarkable woman.

She rubbishes talk that her businesses are a front for well connected local politicians emphasising that all her business partners are aware of her record.

I wish they clarified what they meant the above in that article.

Nevertheless it doesnt take away from her acheivements.

ElPunto   

^They're saying the only reason she has been able to rise so far is because she's in cahoots with local powerbrokers. Some sort of back scratching going on. But it's Africa - you can't walk down the street without seeing some corruption of some sort.