Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Midhig iyo bidhix

N.O.R.F   

Whats is this starnge thing with Somalis when i comes to giving directions.

Scenario

As i'm driving the car i geta 'waar midhigta gal' so i justle for position on the right lane to take a right at the lights. The car is in heavy traffic, this is where i get 'waar dhee taa mar' ie left at the lights. To which i reply 'midhig miyaan aad igu oran'? to whoich i get 'haye waxan u-jedey bidhixe, ta qabso'. :rolleyes: Its the same in English, we are people who dont know left from right :confused:

Nephissa   

You'r lucky they say go Lefdh, go Raaydh, some say: Inta ka leexo and you turn to see where they'r pointing at. WHAMM! You just rear ended someone. And the fool goes War jidka iska eeg! Bwahahaha :D

How ahout this:

you driving a nomad to somewhere you dont know, then suddenly you hear:

"Jiirada u horeysa midig ugal, sxb" to wich you respond by turning 1st turn

right, then you hear the nomad shouting behind you "war hedhe sedeey wax

ka yihiin maanta, maxad ugu lexatay halkan? sowta ku iri ka leexa midigtaas

hore" pointing to to the next turn right.

thats the nature of nomads! :D

am

Haashim   

Topic: Midhig iyo bidhix

Northener sxb. just for correction change it to Midig iyo Bidix.

Jiirada u horeysa midig ugal, sxb" .. "war hedhe sedeey wax

ka yihiin maanta, maxad ugu lexatay halkan? sowta ku iri ka leexa midigtaas

hore"

That's Funny but what about this one:

"Jiirada ugu horreysa Bidix u leexo" and when you turn left "Ma waalatay adi xaggee u leexatay" i turned left "Bidixdaydaan ka waday adigana bidixdadad u leexatay" :confused: sidii in bidixdiisu midigtaada ku taal midigtaaduna bidixdiisa ku taal :eek: wa yahay waan noqonaynaa ee gacanta iigu tilmaan meeshan u leexanayno AFKANA XIR PLEASE smile.gif Ha hadlin yaah, gacmaha bes ka hadal

J.Lee   

Midig ama midhig, tomayto, tomaato! Same difference.

Have you ever had someone give you directions using famous landmarks: Naa heedhe, McDonaldka oo Safewayka u agdhow ka leexo, markaadh aragtidh Starbucks bidhix u soo gal oona la qolooco jidhka, gudhigii ayaa kaa soo hor bixi ee honka yeedhi.

And if you get lost, it's your fault since they clearly recall telling you to take a left at the second Mickey D's instead of the one the first.

Somalis are just directionally challanged!

N.O.R.F   

Northener sxb. just for correction change it to Midig iyo Bidix.

Are you sure, i wrote how i would pronounce it, ie the dh rather than just the d.

Haashim   

Are you sure, i wrote how i would pronounce it, ie the dh rather than just the d.

If you search Midhig or bidhix at any Somali Dictionary you won't find it unless there is one for FISH & CHIPS generation :cool:

The words like gabadh and gabar or mayrax and maydhax or bar and badh ari and adhi etc. are possible to pronounce differently according to your region's accent but Midhig and Bidhix I never heard !

Actualy the letter R is the letter that some somalis pronounce as DH and some R (depend on wjere you come from) but not letter D. D is always D whether you come from Mooyaale or Lughaye

I hope you got it!

hodman   

Directionally challenged I'd say I have a cousin who'll actually look at her two hands to find out which one is midig or bidix and the only way she can tell is which one she eats with.

Castro   

^ Usheeg atheer. This Northerner dude is giving the Qaldaans an even worse reputation. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by hodman:

Directionally challenged I'd say I have a cousin who'll actually look at her two hands to find out which one is midig or bidix and the only way she can tell is which one she eats with.

So which one is midhig for her? :D

My daughter has that left-right problem too. The question she asked that I had no answer for, however, is why left is called left? The way we now know the left is the one being used is to form an L (for loser :D ) with the index and thumb perpendicular to each other. If it's the actual L, it's your left hand hand. Bright kid, I say. :D

N.O.R.F   

^^Bright kid indeed, shame about her daddy

Bishaaro, dee idaa adeer not atheer as Castro,with bright kid,would say :D

Saa waaye no? (not sure if the question mark should be there :confused: )