Sign in to follow this  
Polanyi

The battle of ideologies part 2.

NGONGE   

Karl is making a clear point about a certain group of people. He is not talking about ALL Somalis (for, like C&H said above, that would cover a huge area and tastes). He is talking about the pseudo nationalists!

Now would Gheelle and C&H say there are people like the the ones he mentions in his posts?

I mean I know there are those that blame Arab culture for Somalis war (and hint at Al Shabab having Arab culture).

There are also those that lament the erosion of Somali culture (like the moderator of the politics section used to do).

There are many that would do a Marx and say akhaas when you mention the jilbaaab.

But do the ones Karl mention really exist? Discuss. :D

NG, so this was for Peacenow and not for our consumption? But seriously, can someone not voice his detest of Arab culture without being labeled as anti Islam as our own AT&T suggests? By the way Al-shabaab sees Somali culture to be anti Islam. They may be right or wrong, but they don't hide their dislike of anything Somali culture, be it fork dance or dress.

Maaddeey   

^Waryaa Gheelle, they don't dislike it because its Somali culture, they dislike it bacause its Xaraam! maxaa kale?, haddii wax aan dembi ahayn oon caado u leenahay ay diidi lahaayeen baa la dhihi lahaa dhaqanka ayay ka soo horjeedaan soow maaha?, sidoo kale haddey gabdhaha ha la asturo dhahaan waa Islamic, howl fiican beyna qabteen, wax carabnimo shuqul ku leh maaha, haddaan la lahayn Islaannimada ayaa carabnimo ah.

Neumann   

The western culture offers sophisticated social norms, ethical values, and political systems — what does the Arab culture offer in contrast? The western culture is inarguably the most advanced and civilized there is in all conceivable measures of that; none can compare it in terms of technology, philosophy, science, law, politics, economics, and societal structures — where does the Arab culture stand at that? It’s probably been a little less than a millennium since they last accomplished anything of value in terms of thought, and they have themselves now largely abandoned their own culture because of inevitable erosion and decline. It’s unwise for any society to adopt a decayed culture.

Paragon   

^JB, Western culture might be advanced in some way, with some positive aspects, but it's negatives includes driving one to morally repugnant and gluttonously indulgent. :D

Karl,

Arab culture equally has some positives and negatives, and its biggest risk to Somaliness comes from the curse of Arabic language's phonetic adaptation subsuming cultural similarity and familiarity, coupled with Arabic being the all important medium of religiosity, that leads to the un-guarded erosion of 'periphery' cultures like ours.

We copy lifestyles from the West, but we copy everything - from names to greetings - from Arab culture, because we are more familiar with it.

For me, women's clothes and lifestyle choices are not a matter of much concern; it's the lack of literary resistance to the dominance of Arabic that worries me a lot.

Fahamt, akhi? :D

B   

Karl my dearest, niggerism is tolerated because its not considered a threat because it doesn’t offer anything of substance. It’s almost akin to a protest movement but the real threats come from other civilisational influences like Islam. Of course I am not claiming that negritude is without substance but the way it’s currently being hijacked by niggerism is not going to win it any admirers; it’s almost a reversal of what it should be. It promotes negativity full of clichés and stereotypes.

I must say there are a few too many 'hip' young men in the UK who seem to like skin-tight jeans and mohawks a little too much. But there are more numbers who are fond of their khamiisyo and attractive beards just as much. Are they too Arabised? Who cares? As long as they are decent young men who want to contribute to their families and to society?

Hopefully, the former group will grow out their ridiculous haircuts and find their way at some point.

NASSIR   

An interesting old thread at the height of the Islamist control of Somalia. LINK

There is an article written by Nuruddin Farah and published by the New York Times titled, "My Life as a Diplomat".

The fact is that there are no central institutions in Somalia which can preserve and develop our culture while at the same time balancing and moderating the forces of dominant cultures like Somalia Academy of Science and Arts used to do before our state collapse