Sign in to follow this  
-Lily-

Londoners...You are all invited to the First Annual Somali Charity Ball

N.O.R.F   

1. Book a place for end of may/June – end of year.

2. Pay up front and recoup the cost by selling tickets + a price for the food, entertainment, service etc.

3. Really market the dinner well and emphasise on charity, quality, fun and games.

4. Totally differentiate the dinner from a ‘regular’ get together, ppl need to know of its importance and opportunities.

5. Book quality speakers and entertainment. These do have to be Somali but a mixture would be more appreciated.

6. 2-3 speakers max, you don’t want to bore ppl with speech after speech as is usually the case. Quality and quantity is the key.

7. SOL members have good contacts so use those contacts and I hope all will chip in with their bit.

8. I will take care of the food, gulp, literally.

:D

Blessed   

Salaams, Waterlily

smile.gif

I’ve the perfect organisation for you. The SSA: UK (Somali Students Association UK) is planning to do a similar event (end of year Entertainment / Culture Night) at the end of this academic year, most probably in June.

The event will be for Students, Graduates and Professionals (the SSA has the contact details of many from this category). That’s all the information I can give you at this moment, but I think youre ideas will be welcomed by the team. Theres room for more ideas and the Somalis can really do with a classy, decent event.

If you’re really interested in seeing this through, talk to us @ feedback@somalistudents.com - we can definately work with this.

smile.gif

Since am on the subject of the SSA.

e need writers to contribute to our writer’s corner; send us your poems, stories, articles on education, student life, Islam (whatever) to the above email. The website address is www.somalistudents.com - it’s currently being updated so keep visiting for more details on events.....

Blessed   

^^^man, stop being so bitter. :D

If youre good, we might let you in on the football this year. icon_razz.gif

Yeah, we had a dry 2004 but 2005 will be a very busy year, insha Allah. We're going to hit you with events till you say; mercy.. na dhaafa :D

*****watch this space****

NOTICE, Londoners

There's is a charity event taking place on the 10th of December @ Southall Community Centre (don't ask!).

There will be poetry, songs, plays and it's targetted at students and professionals wanting to contribute towards the development of Somaliland's hospitals. If anyone is intrested let me know.. so I can give ya more details.

^^^organised by Nomad UK.

NGONGE   

^^^ I'm still recovering from the last event dedicated for Somaliland hospitals. As much as I would like to go, I don't think I could face having to dodge all those kids again. :(

Blessed   

^^^ :D , carefull bro, you might offend certain nomads. :D Southall wey ku dhaartaan.

Bee,

I know, maybethey're cutting on costs. What else would take themto that sad little place.

Ngonge,

I know what you mean, but I don't often get a chance get involved with events concerned with developing the homeland, so I'll just have to put up..and give my few pennies worth. It would better if there was a more central approach to this- where you can make contributionsthroughout the year, but thats a different topic.

Anyway...I hope Slick Rick :D (reminds me of your darling Rudeboi) will make it to the place... I'm so engrossed by he and crew that I forget about the crowds of annoying youth.

Faheema.   

^^^ lol, come on girls southall aint so bad...bus'ka ku soo dhaca intaanu gabalku idinku dhicin, I know is a mission getting there :D

This Charity Ball sounds fab... can the theme be hidiyo dhaqan? to add a bit of spice to it ;) Since it's going to be in the summer, 'am sure the guys wouldn't mind wearing Macawiis :D

-Lily-   

Whatever you want to wear, us long as its smart and preferably glamorous.

Ameenah, I have heard of the SSA and have been to one or two of their meetings when I was a student. The problem is that a)students just don't have the time to plan an event on the scale such as this and b) they are broke. No offence but we have all been there (or will be there). So I am trying to get the effort of those who have more time to participate, without shutting out students. By all means those students who have the time are welcome and needed.

As for speaker, no more than one and then 2 hosts max, the whole aim of the event is to donate money and entertain. I was thinking more along the lines of the Islamic new year in terms of the date, which is in Feb., but on second though it may need more promotion and planning. So perhaps we may indeed be looking at June, but I rather like the idea of a May Ball. We ll see how it works out.

I still don't have people wiling to help organize this event...put your time where your mouth is???

Faheema.   

^^^ I think what Ameenah means is that the SSA can help you organise the event (most of the SSA members have graduated) and it won't be exclusive to students. Nevetheless, I am willing to help smile.gif

Juxa   

^^^^^^ good idea, definetly interesting. but can we keep the theme to somaliwayn .

most of people from my corner dont response well to gobal-gobal. more like a united somali. and insha allah free from politics charity.

macsalaama