Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Guur customs

-Lily-   

Jonny, I don’t know with the dad thing, I guess it’s just a feeling of inappropriateness and yes, of course mum's are different, although one shouldn't make a habit of it icon_razz.gif .

-Lily-   

Jonny, I don’t know with the dad thing, I guess it’s just a feeling of inappropriateness and yes, of course mum's are different, although one shouldn't make a habit of it icon_razz.gif .

Johnny B   

NGONGE, only you know how to make remote caressing. ;)

Sure some traditions are better dead, but the Xero thing is not, the more who judge the hidden goodies the better the analysis. :D

Lily, Pretending to stay daddy's baby girl at certain age is a bad tradition. :D

Malika   

I presume they intend to do more than kiss, I never understood all the fake 'shock'. Although I would never kiss a guy in the presence of my dad, married or not. [/QB]

Actually they were just complying with the christian wedding rituals..now you may kiss the bride,believe me it wasnt a "fake" shock to the elders,they were embarrased too.

What I dont get is the opening ceremony ,where Quran is recited to a group of mostly half naked women,following up with hours of disco dancing,predators doing their thing by the toilets..please guys,when in weddings can the ladies have some space to go pee in peace!!..You find all these guys,leaning on the corridor walls..lol,the aim of the chairs is for sitting down if your not dancing.

I think we should stick to tradition,or Islamic marriage rites rather than confuse it with multi dimensions of other cultures and religion rites.

Ms DD   

Will someone explain what xeero represents?

I cringed when a family member married her man. Afka ayey isku geliyeen keeka. Indho adeegeeda, she suggested that he kisses her right there and then where everyone heard her.

Malika   

Xeero represent the "flower" sweet, delicious,precious flower of a female kind..Is that too explicit ms D..LOL

-Lily-   

D&D, well, I watched a video once, my aunt explained to me that the Xeero is tied very tightly because it's supposed to represent the virtue of the girl, and if they open it too quickly then that means she was some loose girl. So guys have a go at trying to open the Xeero? I could be wrong & no offence intended, that’s just the explanation I got.

Ms DD   

Not explicit enough as I have no clue yet.

so what do they do with it? And Is the xeero empty?

Ms DD   

What kind of man/woman would let this ****** xeero thing in his/her wedding? What kind of tradition is that? I totally agree that it is something that should be forgotten!

I am suprised I havent come accross it yet.

NGONGE   

The practice of xeero (read as heero which means "a bowl" in Somali) symbolizes the difficulty the bridegroom has to undergo in order to have sexual relations with his wife. The xeero ceremony usually takes place on the seventh day after the wedding, either in the couple's home or the bride's family home.

A bowl containing traditionally preserved meat (odkac) and mashed dates is placed in a woven container with a lower and upper part. The bowl is placed in the lower side and covered with the top part. The basket is then dressed up like a woman and tied with a long rope forming multiple loops and knots. During the ceremony, males from the groom's side will attempt to open the xeero while following certain protocol. They cannot for instance touch the legs before taking out earrings or exposing the face.

A knowledgeable, stick-wielding woman from the girl's family presides over the ceremony. She hits the hands of any errant man. Those who make mistakes are required to entertain the audience with song, dance, poetry, jokes or a riddle. The groom's male relatives search for individuals who are experienced, talented and knowledgeable in Somali culture to perform leading roles. Clapping of hands, entertainment, and then male relatives remove the xeero. The audience is then allowed to eat the goodies from the basket. Some families bring multiple, decorated xeeros with abundant edibles (odkac) for guests. This exciting event enables families to know each other. It is a highly symbolic occasion. The man figuratively goes through the infibulation barrier to consummate marriage and enjoy sex with his wife.

That's more or less it.

Source

Ms DD   

^^ Cheers Ng. It sounds tasteless and very unislamic. It is suprising that for a conservative communities would orchestrate such event.

Johnny B   

^ for the sake of gender equality there is more to what the Xero symbolizes, the male virgin's chafe can and should not been disregarded, hence the rough surface of the Xero. :D