Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Guur customs

There are some distinct subcultural Soomaali traditions and customs about everything guur and aroos. Some are universal, followed and practiced by majority Soomaalis. Some are regional.

The most widely practiced of them all is -- and this is the era long before weddings were held rented spaces, especially those at the West -- the nikaax always took place at the bride's family home. Always. Some other cultures may follow this tradition as well, I guess.

Then there those that are regional. In some regions, it is bad omen for the family if the elder daughter remains unmarried while her younger sisters tie the knot [or perhaps should I've written tie the shaash?]. This is mostly in common in Soomaali Galbeed.

Then there is that peculiar custom practiced on southern coastal cities and towns. It is the full cleansing and purification of the bride's body during the immediate week before the wedding day. She is given several baths a day; she cannot leave home and must not venture outdoors for a week. Then she is decorated on the last day cilaan, fully. Not your typical wedding cilaan, but this one is fully, including a nicely designed set on her private parts. It seems a curious custom adapted from Carabs, especially those Masaarida and Suudaanta.

[i can guess depending your reaction, it would either be redface.gif from ladies or :cool: to some guys. Mine is :D ]

Then there is saashsaar, though it is widely practiced these days in omni Soomaali culture-wide; it however wasn't always that. It used to be regional.

Can you recall any other?

There is thir one normally practiced in the west of Somaliland where the married couple should stay together for one full week right after the nikaax ,,, it is called (DADAB GAL),,,,, the unique part of this practice is that the man is staying in the bride's family house and is not allowed to go out of his room. He cannot even go to the mosque for prayers, he should stay and pray inside the room with his bride. :D

AFter 7 full days, then he will back to his normal life and prepare for the wedding whenever it is ,,,,,,, :D:D

I find that quite funny and tiring for the man :D

Malika   

As a child,being inquisitive,I noticed on the night of the wedding,the older women,would make a point dancing all night next to the bride and grooms bedroom....How nosy where these old ladies!!

I particular,found this interesting,as the bride and the groom enter their home.The bride is given a jug of milk,her feet are washed..while the groom carries a child boy...What was the significance of the washing of the feet?

Pujah   

I heard northerners place piece of white cloth in the bed on the wedding night and after the marriage is consummated there is either a celebratory dances or shame brought to the girls family. I am not sure how valid this hearsay is though.

There is thir one normally practiced in the west of Somaliland where the married couple should stay together for one full week right after the nikaax ,,, it is called (DADAB GAL),,,,, the unique part of this practice is that the man is staying in the bride's family house and is not allowed to go out of his room. He cannot even go to the mosque for prayers, he should stay and pray inside the room with his bride.

Waxaas toddobaadka ayaa la dhahaa, and it is a Soomaali-wide custom; a Soomaali version of 'honeymoon.'

Deegaankaas ma 'dadabgal' ayaa loogu yaqaanaa mise you are mispronouncing toddobaadka?

Alas, Soomaalida in West do not have the luxury to do this, since shaqo iyo iskool iyo wax baas sugaayo right after guurka, and they don't have qaraabo u adeegaayo oo cunto kala nooc every meal u karinaayo that whole week.

As a child,being inquisitive,I noticed on the night of the wedding,the older women,would make a point dancing all night next to the bride and grooms bedroom....How nosy where these old ladies!!

I particular,found this interesting,as the bride and the groom enter their home.The bride is given a jug of milk,her feet are washed..while the groom carries a child boy...What was the significance of the washing of the feet?

This seems regional. Where have you witnessed those weddings at?

At some aroosyo, halxiraale iyo su'aale kale la isweydiiyo ayaa jirto, especially to bridegroom. This is popular in Waqooyi.

Deegaankaas ma 'dadabgal' ayaa loogu yaqaanaa mise you are mispronouncing toddobaadka?

Anaga DADAB GAL baanu nidhaahnaa ,,,,, todobaad horeba umaan maqal

YoniZ   

Stay seven days inside, in your in-laws' home! what an adventure of self discovery and restraint?

It is a wonderful experience though for shy guys like me.

Malika   

"Where have you witnessed those weddings at?"

MMA, Not in Somalia,where I grew up,folks did thier uttermost to preserve the traditions.I am assuming the washing of the feet,carrying milk and baby boy is practiced widely in Somalia?

The modern weddings are boring,they are neither western, nor traditional somali weddings..hagaa laguu arkee xeer lafureyaa with a live band singing on the stage,folks doing their one step dance routine..xeer fuur used to be an event of comedy,poetry reciting etc etc.

Lool, recently a friend got married,she went overboard with the western theme..after cutting the cake,exchanging rings...they kissed..OMG!! you should have seen the faces of the elders...priceless! Gobsmacked they were,as for the young they cheered...signs of modernisation eey!

-Lily-   

Lool, recently a friend got married,she went overboard with the western theme..after cutting the cake,exchanging rings...they kissed..OMG!! you should have seen the faces of the elders...priceless! Gobsmacked they were,as for the young they cheered...signs of modernisation eey!

I presume they intend to do more than kiss, I never understood all the fake 'shock'. Although I would never kiss a guy in the presence of my dad, married or not.

me   

Originally posted by Puuja:

I heard northerners place piece of white cloth in the bed on the wedding night and after the marriage is consummated there is either a celebratory dances or shame brought to the girls family. I am not sure how valid this hearsay is though.

Thats a marrocan/arab custom,......not Somali.

me   

Originally posted by -Lily-:

quote: Lool, recently a friend got married,she went overboard with the western theme..after cutting the cake,exchanging rings...they kissed..OMG!! you should have seen the faces of the elders...priceless! Gobsmacked they were,as for the young they cheered...signs of modernisation eey!

I presume they intend to do more than kiss, I never understood all the fake 'shock'. Although I would never kiss a guy in the presence of my dad, married or not.
Ok add drinking 'red grape juice' from wine glasses to all that kissing and cake cutting....cause I have seen that too at a Somali wedding.

I know this couple when they started kissing in their wedding and they could not stop it for 10 minutes ,,,,,,,,,, :D:D

it is even video recorded ,,,,,,,,,,, looool

Johnny B   

Although I would never kiss a guy in the presence of my dad, married or not.

Ehem ehem .... yeah , sure , n pigs fly.

Why woulden't you?

A: becouse he'll think that you're a bad girl who does that filthy bed thing?

B: becouse his ego will smash as he can't let another man come closer?

C: would you do it infront of your Mom? ;)

NGONGE   

^^ You probably go about kissing people in public transport, Johnny :D

Originally posted by Munira002:

The modern weddings are boring,they are neither western, nor traditional somali weddings..hagaa laguu arkee xeer lafureyaa with a live band singing on the stage,folks doing their one step dance routine..xeer fuur used to be an event of comedy,poetry reciting etc etc.

The whole idea of xeero is pretty disgusting when you think about it. One man marries her and half of his clan try to get through to her hidden goodies!

Some traditions are better off just dying..