Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

How many Nomads effected by the BLACK-OUT?

Lefty   

Absolutely, I for one got effected big time. After more than five hours, I thought the armageddon or doomsday thing may have just started. Imagine if this blackout happens during the winter season. No electricity no Water!

The word on the street is the real and main cause of this blackout from New-York to Toronto,Ontario is huge problem and already known but government officials are hidden so that the public wouldn't panic....Actually, they said it has nothing to do with terrorist but they won't reveal it Until further notice..Anyway, who else was effected ?

Miriam1   

Ya rabi!

How was i affected, well walaal yesterday while the elecit when off for the first time I and my sister were in the mall, as i ordered my much needed ICE CAP the lights went out and you could hear this big AHHHH !! around the whole mall so we had to figure a way home without taking the subway after a couple of busses and a 6 floor stairs flight we finally got home.

We spend time by playing games with my mother and listening to her stories about her life in Embaya a town in Tanzania.

It was nice all and all, plus it wasnt that hot.

But today acudubilallahi the lights went off when i was right at work ! I just wanted to cry...but alhumduliallahi they came up and hour later and here i am writing this smile.gif

Ps. Khayr you are right, it is a time to appreciate the life we live

Well...on Thursday I was with a friend who went through surgery, and Alhamdulilah she got out few hours b4 the blackout.

Currently, there's no electricity and water in my apartment.....am camping at a friend's, her building just got electricity today....but no water. I need a shower real bad people ...I can't take this anymore..lol.

Toronto folks.....Atleast you had water running :D

MD   

Alhamdu Tamina we had our water running imagine both istqafura'allah, Poor journalists now they have something to talk about "blackout 2003" lol but thank god i was home when the power went off, it was a good experience though family members came over, we talked Alhamdulilah everything is fine now smile.gif

Raxmah   

Asalamu alaikum

As soon as came to work on thursday, the whole power shut off. I wasn't lucky enough to go home though the place I work at had back up generators. It was the only place that was opened in my area so instead of ppl staying home like they were asked they decided they were gona go shopping. I have never seen meijers that packed in my whole life. I ended up working 16 hours instead of my 8 hour shift, can't wait to c that paycheck. :D

mojam   

I was at work at the time of the blackout. Many of us were slacking off in the lunch room and then it happened. Never seen anything like it before. The lights dimmen then went off ... and then to our surprise came back on. About 3 minutes later it all shut down.

been without hydro for 22 hours before it came back on yesterday but we're supposed to concerve because we're only at 60% of our regular power supply in the city. Yeah right! ;)

Other than the little inconvenience of no ac the one day, i have no other complaint. Many people just got power back this day not too far away from here. Many were stuck in elevators, subways, and amusement parks accross the east coast. And last but not least how about the many Iraqis who have been living without ac for months because their power plants have been bombed.

Senora   

I'm in Ottawa Canada, one of the cities hit by the power shortage. I just got my power back 2am today and then around 9am it went out again and then came back on at 1 pm. I just talked to my grandma in the Toronto and she still doesn't have power in her area.

That sucked, Eh?( You see how i picked up on the Canadian accent?) ..for a while i felt that the electricity thing was teasing me...I'm still in ottawa right

now, thank god it came back on when it did...I was getting a really bad headache from all of those candles!!!

I was at work and the power went off..few seconds later it came up again and went off competely. Went stright home..wanted to buy food and as am like a block a way i realised it duuuh their closed..since the registers operate on electricity...well some do...went home ..couple of cousins n i were like "f*** is up"..lol went to the closest store..n the line up was like miles away..everyone tryna buy a water...shot must of bought like gallons of gallons of water and oh cant forget at night...we slept with a knife under our bed...walaahi cut em up if they so break in..we dont play tha..we're somalis come on now..lol..anywho it was by far an experience..horrible cuz i been starvin but mashallah eveythin is up n running.

Alot of nomads were affected in Toronto, Ottawa Detroit, Cleveland, New-York and various other places.

This event made the american and canadians realise that what has happened to them took only 3 days to be resolved but it cant be resolved in 365 days a year in countries that the west has destroyed i.e IRAQ!!!. Why put people in darkness for oil!

The funny thing is..they want us to believe its not terrorism.

The first day was like..."We don't know what happened with the energy, but its definately not terrorism". What are we, naive? C'mon now..if they can't even figure out what PLANT this problem came from..then how do we not know it was espionage from a terrorist org?

Anyhow..now, it turns out, that they are speculating about hackers! (which was one of my first guesses)

I rather we all panic and know the truth...or feel secure and be lied to!

:rolleyes:

N.O.R.F   

nin-yaaban: i remember u takin tha piss about how odd it was for UK households not to have air conditioning during the heat wave here. Now, the US of bloody A, the world's so called leaders in innovation, engineering and all sorts of other fields, not to have electricity due to a minor fault in few power lines in a remote area of canada? THAT WAS FUNNY, while many of my fellow nomads were no doubt suffering, i had a huge grin on my face whenever there was any mention of it on the news.

Brother northern i have to say you are a very observant nomad. The power went off for couple of days, and they make this big deal about it? I remember in Kismaayo how the power would go off, for couple of months, possibly year, and will come back only to go out again in the same day.

Rumor has, the white house was also effected by this. But you wont hear that on the Amerikaan media.

underdog   

From most of the posted comments I see y'all have been around here for a while. I have very vivid memories of blackouts from africa....I was actually "stranded" in a village in Southern Sudan 15 km from the Kenyan border for 3 weeks and these guys have never heard of electricity and water was an extreme luxury. Trust me it's not an exaggeration.

So I'm driving around T.O., the immigrants all have the "here we go again" look on thier faces. The whites are panicking because they won't be able to make it home in time to walk their dogs and all the substance abusers and slackers are flocking the streets to hang out and enjoy the moment.

Less than 24hrs of no lights hardly constitutes a crisis...but then again thats just my opinion