Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Giving from the breast

SeeKer   

Women who give their breast milk to sick and orphaned children in Africa. :D

......When the children first come to the orphanage, they are so sick and malnourished they can barely cry, according to the caregivers.

Once they are fed, they thrive on the breast milk, and within a few weeks, they are full of life.

They gain weight almost immediately and don't get sick as often when they're drinking the breast milk.The challenge, caregivers say, is to keep up with the demands of these hungry babies. But they get some help from unexpected sources. They recently received a phone call from a prospective donor thousands of miles away.

In Columbia, Mo., Jill Youse read about the IThemba Lethu orphanage on the Internet while she was breast-feeding her 10-month-old daughter, Estella."For children who are sick, especially if they have HIV or other diseases, breast milk could be the difference between life and death," Youse said.

She decided to get involved and found other breast-feeding mothers in her town who were also interested in helping the South African babies. Youse soon collected 24 gallons of frozen breast milk.

To transport the milk to South Africa, Youse contacted express carrier DHL, which agreed to ship the donation to South Africa free of charge. Two days later, a fresh supply of breast milk arrived at the orphanage, where there was no shortage of helpful hands to do the unpacking.

The contributions from the United States — which appear to be growing — will ensure a strong supply line.It won't replace the mothers they lost, but it will give them something every child needs — a mother's love.

Excerpt from ABC

Jill Youse: Donor #1, Founder & Executive Director

When I first realized that I had a freezer full of breast milk and nothing to do with it, I became hell-bent on finding a way to donate it to the children in South Africa. Most people laughed at first, thinking that I was kidding when I would say,"I have enough milk to feed babies in South Africa." Little did they know that there are so many moms out there like me who don't know what to do with their extra milk. Until you have sat behind one of those pumps for an hour to squeeze out every last ounce, you just can't appreciate the emotional pain a mom would go through to watch her milk go down the drain. I decided to develop the International Breast Milk Project to help moms find a home for their milk with the babies who are in desperate need of it. The project is still in its infancy with about 9 months under its belt and 2 successful shipments to South Africa. Who knows what the future will "deliver." Please feel free to contact me at
with any time with your comments and suggestions. It is the moms who make this happen, I just started the ball rolling.

Read more about the International Breast Milk Project

I think this is a great initiative on Jill's side and the lady who opened the orphanage. I think ABC did a booboo though, Jill is a MN resident not a MO resident.

NGONGE   

Heh. Can just imagine a Columbian production line with dozens of lactating mothers tied to all sorts of pipes and machines. :D

Still, good stuff.

dairy.jpg

I think the milk giving is some much efficient than donating money because u know where that milk is going.. However when u donate money, u cant help to wonder how much of that money is going towards the intended person!

Originally posted by NGONGE:Heh. Can just imagine a Columbian production line with dozens of lactating mothers tied to all sorts of pipes and machines

No i cant but i can imagine you tied to it.. u beeep, if you cant appreciate their self-less act than do not insult them with you pathetic remarks :mad:

Naden   

Tiiits scare boys, they bring back Freudian horrors of hanging off their mother's breasts. Yes, they actually do have a biological function as well :D .

For preemies, breast milk is probably the difference between life and death.