Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Will Somali society become more religious or secular in the future?

^He knows what he is talking about, he has lived through the years.

But seriously, young people are more aware of their Islamic identity more than before, because we happen to live in a highly politicized environments where the bad guy is an ideology and anyone who follows it or wants to live by it. To a certain degree, I would even say young people these days are forced to choose their identity and defend it as its the topic on everyone's lips.

I agree with NG in that once(or should I say if?)this wave of anti-Islamism and counter extremism goes away, people will return to how they were in the pre-taliban era. I dont think there will be much change in how people practice Islam, but there will be less focus on it and the labels (secular, extreme, liberal) will mean less and people will care about it less within the Muslim context.

BOB   

Everybody in here is the reflection of the Somali nation as a whole...FULL OF HYPOCRISY.

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGOONGE, one wishes Faroole had your cool. But thats another topic altogether.

Serenity made a valid point more so than the old men.

But what about the other group, the my name is Mo, and so on..

Tuujiye   

^^^ Jilac! lool..

BOB, wada hadalka wax ku darso nooh...

Duke, Somali isma badasho saaxiib oo wiligeen sidaas baan isku dhex qasnaandoonaa...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

^^^The Afghan boy dancer is at it again, just address the issue from what you observe adeer, dont worry about the Duke, he at least knows that suicide bombing a market full of civilians is un-Islamic.

there seems to be three options here: more religious, secular and the other that managed to sneak into the discussion about wild kids, gangs and single mother (poor ladies to grouped with wild kids and gangs).

In the west, i would put my eggs in the basket of the secularist, its just a matter of time but back in our version of the wild wild west, the religious seem to winning that war.

There's good reason to think the pendulum is, indeed, swinging the other way. Ironically, Al-Shabaab might deserve much credit for the move towards less religion in Somalia. Prior to the civil war, the surwaal-gaab-jalbaab phenomenon was not a pervasive one. During the civil war, desperate and war-weary Somalis turned to religion for consolation. The mantra of "el islam howa el hal" (islam is the solution) became the rallying cry, not only for Somalis, but for disenfranchasied and dejected muslims all over the world. However, religion proved not to be panacea at all; instead, it almost always proved to be poison - Al-Shabaab, Taliban, early Muslim Brotherhood, Jama' El Islamiya.

I'll leave it to historians and anthropologists to discern why the rise of tribalism and religion were coeval in Somalia.

In the West, the dynamics seem to be the opposite. Young muslims on college and university campuses volunteer in droves for Muslim Student Associations (MSAs), travel far to attend islamic conferences, and enroll in pricey Al-Maghrib and Al-Zaytuna courses. The islamic awakening (el sahwah el eslameya) that started almost four decades ago in the East is now in its final throes. Perhaps this renewed obsession of some Western Somalis with religion is a mere anamoly, a kind of statistical noise. Western (and Somali) muslims are late comers to this failed movement. And thier renewed interest in religion is just a flash in the pan. The 'surwaal-gaab era', as NGONGE christened it, will give way to a secular one.

^You stated what you wish to happen not what's. It's hard to gauge whether the Somali society is becoming more secular or Islamic. It's complex issue that's more complicated by politics be it domestic or international.

Duke....What's this obsession with dancing boys. Should we refer you to therapist so you could work out issues or do we need to inform the local authority?

perhaps if we separate somali society into two, west and Somalia, we would get somewhere. It hard to belief that ones in the west who are exposed to the inherited traditions of the renaissance will operate at the same wave length as then ones back home

N.O.R.F   

The 'surwaal gaab era' will leave behind Islamic schools for kids to attend, mosques here and there, courses here and there, book shops etc making Islam MORE visible in everyday life. So, kids born and bred in the west are growing up in an environment more Islamic than 20 years ago.

My old home town only had 2 mosques when we moved there some years ago. Now I can count 6 with the 2 old ones being expanded to huge complexes. It also has a high number of reverts. Ever seen a white Muslim couple walking the streets? :cool:

Polanyi   

The Somali Dacwah has left a permanent mark on SOmali Society. It will endure regardless of Alshabab's defeat. There is no Alshabab in Burco, Lasacanod or Bosaso. But the dacwah amongst the youth still endures. And even if Alshabab are defeated, I doubt Somalia society will turn to Secularism or become overwhelmingly "non practising"; it will simply moderate itself.