Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Traditional

Chimera   

-Somali clothing

-Somali Dance

-Somali festivals

* I want to know more about the famous Macawiis and the dirac and other clothing, as well as those female necklaces

* I want to know more Buraanbuur,Dhaanto and Jaandheer and other Somali cultural dances

* I want to know more about Istunka and Dhabshid

anything you have on these subjects like pictures video's websites please post it smile.gif

David Letterman

Somali clothes?

Diraac, Guuntino, etc for women

Men: Laba go'le

9155457363.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

^ Macawiis and the Kuufi stuff is foreign that is real somali male attire.

All you need to know about Somali poetry/art. Listen to Careys ciise Kaarshe Hooyaada lama huuraan.

On a lighter note. Check this out. It is more of Somali bantu culture. Nonetheless it is Somali in sphere. Niiko

:D

Chimera   

Yes brother MMA that topic sparked my interest a few months ago

phot0032hh4.jpg

Somali Sultanate: the Geledi city-state over 150 years by Virginia Luling.

Chapter Fourteen examines the role of the annual stick fight known as istun. Luling argues that this ritual combat acts not simply as an outlet for social tensions within the Afgooye community but also serves as a model for broader socio-political relations. In more recent years in particular, rather than a simple ritual conflict between well defined elements of the town, she notes, the annual fights take place between various teams fighting as loose coalitions representing traditional alliances

Gabbal   

David, istunka is a pre-Islamic jahiliya ritual. Shouldn't that suffice? Even within Somali culture, it is frowned upon and does not speak for any number of the Muslim mainstream peoples of our nation.

Chimera   

thanks again MMA

N/AA still that doesn't mean we should ignore it, the believes that agriculture of the new year will be fruitfull when this ritual is done might be a bit coo coo but we should examine it's place and role in pre-islamic Somali history

Naming people Abu and Umm hebel hebel is pre islamic. Circumcision is pre islamic (However it is beneficial, for males ofcourse).

Chimera   

East Africa and Its Invaders: From the Earliest Times to the Death of Seyyid Said in 1856 - Page 336

Its real master was the Sheikh at Geledi, a warrior chieftain who at need could

mobilize at least 20 000 spears. Naturally, therefore, this Somali part of ...

The Cambridge history of Africa: from c. 1790 to c. 1870 - Page 88

Mogadishu, on the other hand, was really controlled by the sultan of the Geledi,

and minor ports were in the hands of members of other clans

Does anyone have access to these books cause i couldn't locate them at my library,( really punches a deep hole in this so-called continuing until (Italy) Omani hegemony on Mogadishu)

Sudan Notes and Records-Page 147

but there was some doubt as to his title to the coast north of Lamo, where

his Arab governors were paying tribute to the Somali Chief Ahmed Yusef

Originally posted by David_Letterman:

The Cambridge history of Africa: from c. 1790 to c. 1870 - Page 88

Mogadishu, on the other hand, was really controlled by the sultan of the Geledi,

and minor ports were in the hands of members of other clans

You can find that book through on Google Books, though where the book deals about Soomaalida and other Horn of Africa peoples' history is, unfortunately, labelled 'not part of this book review,' obviously intended to sidestep on copyright issues.

The Soomaali's, along with other Horn people, history page starts on page 51, which you can find. You can also find page 53, 55 and 56, which specifically deals Soomaalida.

On page 53, there is an interesting ancient map.

NB: You may need a legitimate gmail account to access some pages.

Chimera   

Yes Sxb G-books is where i got the excerpts from but for some reason every interesting part has a ''page is not part of the preview'' restriction on it, as if they knew i was looking for it and therefore felt like iritating me, there many books like that!

i will buy some of them if i can't find them in the library! thanks anyway

Paragon   

Dave, perhaps this would remind you of the proper way of conducting one's physical positioning when delving into highly important 'Foot News' or 'War-Lugeed'

156539777_256aac97dd.jpg