Sign in to follow this  
sweet_gal

Tell me about somali weddings

I want to know what happens in Somali weddings....What happens and in what order....

What comes first the Barambur dance ( where only ladies attend party) Or the Ceremony?

After the wedding what happen?

Are there any Superstitions......?

Do somali couples after getting married go on a honeymoon?

Also anything else you want to tell me about weddings would be nice too. (intresting facts etc)

Thanks to all of the people that respond....

Viking   

-the couple arrives four hours late

-food is served at about 2am

-people are dressed extremely smart but everyone looks uneasy (including the bride & groom - they look like they are attending their own funeral)

-for some strange reason, the cake never reaches the guys at the back

-honeymoons are quite rare because the bride demands a massive wedding where obsene amounts are spent on the occassion

What happens after the wedding you ask... well, they have about 3 and a half offsprings; the man is eventually imbibed in an internet and/or qaad addiction. The woman gains 20 kgs, hoards gold and is always involved in ayuuto/hagbad with her fellow females and they live happily ever after...

Juxa   

aaaaaaaaaaah i can tell viking attended few weddings :D

what happens? everything that should not happen.

alot of danbi, kalif and sometimes i arkaay, i maqlaay.

meaning, we try to be something we are not!

perfect wedding/traditional somali wedding. duco yar, family coming together, bride wearing guntiino, and going to her husband 4pm smile.gif

about somali weddings, well i would say non stop party that ends til 2 or 3 in the midnight.

my favorite thing is traditional dances n it happens in most som. weddings.

sure some somali couples after getting married go to their honeymoon. even its few of them.

Nephissa   

I think the last time I was in a wedding, I spent about $1,500. You have to buy your dress and your shoes, have your hair, nails done, go to all the other parties(buranbur, shaash saar) and get the gift. It just adds up. I hope and pray nobody invites me this Summer. redface.gif

I'm kind of done with the wedding thing for a while.

N.O.R.F   

-for some strange reason, the cake never reaches the guys at the back

:D:D

Viking, we have all experienced many a night going home hungry after not receiving a plate of food lol

Khayr   

Question

DOES THE HIJAB BECOME 'OPTIONAL' at

somali weddings??? :rolleyes:

and

Is the WHITE GOWN more beautiful

then the Diraac??? :rolleyes:

Viking   

Originally posted by Dinho:

Viking, we have all experienced many a night going home hungry after not receiving a plate of food lol

Dinho,

I learnt a long time ago that it is vital to have a nice hot meal before attending a wedding; chances are that you will only get a can of coke and cold sambusa, if you are lucky that is! :D

Sweet-gal I've been meaning to ask those same questions myself.

I've only ever been to one wedding, and as soon as they introduced me to the couple, they made me stand in the corner all night so I could collect cups and plates. It was a black-tie affair (apparently), and there I was helping out in the kitchen (against my will, but I couldn't very well argue with all these older women), wearing an expensive evening gown. I've never felt less glamerous. :(

But seriously, I always wanted to know what real Somali weddings are like (since I missed everything the only time I went to one).

If SG doesn't mind, I'd like to add a few questions of my own:

- What happens during the ceremony? Can everyone be a witness to this? Do the parents have to be actively involved in some way?

- The type of dirac one wears, is it the everyday (but slightly fancier) style or is it something you can only wear to weddings (like the somali equivalent of a white bridal dress)?

- When does the couple sign the marriage contract? Is this optional or part of the marriage process?

- Is it normal for men and women to celebrate the wedding in the same place, or do they have to be in seperate rooms/buildings?

- Are children normally invited?

- Does the couple exchange rings/vows?

Thanks for the replies everyone..........But I'd be happier if you guys/girls answered my question more seriously without talking about all the things you didn't enjoy about somali weddings. :rolleyes:

Depending on how many weddings you've been to they all could not have been bad....Because I went to 3 and only one was not as good.

Tell me things like

What happens on the first day when the guy and the girls father and sheik meet....They get mehr I know that, but is she there with the sheikh and other men realtives? If not why?

Are there any supersitions you've seen or heard of about somali weddings....I think they have a lot in somalia but focus mainly on Modern Somali weddings....Somali weddings in the west...

What happens after the mehr? A party to for only ladies to celebrate the girls marriage or the wedding ceremoney?.........If you had to estimate how much money it costs to make somali wedding how much would it be...

And any intersting facts......eg food, gifts or whatever else you want.

Basically in what order does everything happen?

Please tell me any superstitions if you know any..........

Again thanks to everyone who relpyed but please reply this time and make somali weddings appear to be the best wedding that ever happens ;) .......If you don't want to then state the things you don't like about it and what you do like about it..........

Somali weddings are offly expensive because everyone from the whooooole town attends it. It is for some strange reason expected to invite everyone even if it it is 500 people which in turn totals your expenses of the roof by maybe $50,000. Prepare to be broke ya'll! smile.gif

That thread is from 2005....LoooooooooooooL.

All the weddings I have been to were nice and attended by only family and close friends. The guest list never reached 100 heads. It was enjoyable and more personal.The cost was also relative less. Why go in the debt?

One gotta be realistic and not just follow the trends.

So, did you get married or are you getting married. :D

Oh Nephtys...How expensive was urs smile.gif

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

One gotta be realistic and not just follow the trends.

Realistic as in spending $1500 to go to a wedding? HAHAHAHA, dheeman maa marada ku dhagan waayaabee?

Che, kaaga ila soo socodsii uun ayeeyo, ala Boqortooyo style baan kugu tuureenaa! Dahab iyo luul aan dhulka ku daadineynaa... :D:D