Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Cricket

N.O.R.F   

i know most of u are like, wtf is he talkin bout, but its a good sport when u get into it,,,,just wanna highlight the Aussie defeat to India, and ma boy Rahul Dravid doing the biznezz,,,,,,

Was this Test cricket's greatest comeback?

Australia 556 & 196 India 523 & 233-6 India win by four wickets

By Jon Culley

17 December 2003

Australia, still reeling from England's triumph in the Rugby World Cup, may be in a state of national shock again after India's staggering comeback victory in the second Test match in Adelaide yesterday but the world champions can console themselves at least with having participated in another of the greatest Test matches in cricket history.

India's four-wicket win, completed in the early hours of yesterday when the man of the match, Rahul Dravid, cut the leg-spinner Stuart MacGill to the boundary for four, joins the tied Test in Brisbane in 1960, England's stunning win at Headingley in 1981, the West Indies' 308-run chase at Bridgetown in 1999 and the Centenary Test at Melbourne in 1977 among the finest matches ever played, all of which featured Australia.

There are others worthy of inclusion and India's achievement at the Adelaide Oval will refresh the debate. Certainly, there can be little dispute that it deserves to be spoken of in the same company, given the extraordinary position from which Sourav Ganguly's team recovered. Australia are the first team to have lost a Test match after topping 500 in the first innings since they did so themselves against England more than 35 years ago.

Having watched helplessly as Australia piled up 400 for 5 on the opening day, going on to reach a daunting first-innings total of 556, in which Ricky Ponting made a brilliant 242, India's captain, Ganguly, was himself a casualty - run out for two - as the tourists' reply wobbled precariously at 85 for 4.

But India turned the match around with a 303-run partnership between their vice-captain, Dravid (233), and VVS Laxman (148), remarkably conceding a first-innings deficit of only 33 before Ajit Agarkar produced the best bowling of his career, finishing with 6 for 41 as the home team collapsed to 196 all out in their second innings.

Chasing a target of 230, India began the final day apparently cruising at 37 for 0 only to be pushed hard by a determined Australia before Dravid came up with the key innings, keeping his head to make a patient 72 not out.

Ganguly and Australia's captain, Steve Waugh ,were united in lavishing praise on Dravid after the right-hander enjoyed the finest moment of his career. Ganguly said: "He batted like God here once again and I'm not surprised the way he's played. I've always said he was one of the greats." Waugh added: "He has a great technique and a great temperament. We always knew he was a good player but now we're going to have come up with a new plan to get him out."

Dravid now has 16 Test hundreds, including four doubles, and a career average of 56.54. His 233 in the first innings was the third highest score by an Indian in Test cricket, the largest overseas, and the fourth highest by a foreigner on Australian soil.

He compared it with his 180 in the Calcutta Test in 2001, when India also produced a staggering recovery to beat Australia. "This would definitely have to be my best Test performance," he said. "But I look back on Calcutta and it still gives me such joy. I have great emotion, but maybe when I've finished and I have a chance to sit back this victory will mean a lot as well."

The Test at Eden Gardens two years ago was dubbed the "Miracle of Calcutta" after another rare moment of frailty interrupted Australia's otherwise triumphant march as they set a world record for squandering a first-innings lead to lose a Test. They forced India to follow on 274 runs behind before another brilliant stand between Laxman and Dravid, who put on 376, sent Waugh's team to their first defeat in 19 Tests.

India's triumph yesterday was their first in Australia since their success at Melbourne in February 1981 and Australia's first defeat in Adelaide since England won by 106 runs in the fourth Test in 1995.

Australia are the first team in more than 35 years to lose a Test match after scoring more than 500 in their first innings, since West Indies did it against England in March 1968. But in a series in 1894-95, Australia scored 586 in the first innings against England in Sydney only to lose after enforcing the follow-on.

Australia will point out in mitigation yesterday that they were without their front-line bowlers, Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne and Brett Lee, and suffered another setback before lunch when the pace man Jason Gillespie left the field with a groin injury.

Gillespie had given Australia a good start when he trapped Akash Chopra leg before wicket with the total on 48 but limped off soon afterwards. MacGill kept Australia in the game when he had Virender Sehwag stumped before lunch, then Sachin Tendulkar went lbw before tea without offering a shot.

Simon Katich held a sharp catch at gully to get rid of Ganguly and the pace man Andy Bichel dismissed Laxman and the wicketkeeper Parthiv Patel after tea but the magnificent Dravid, offered two lives by Adam Gilchrist on nine and Ricky Ponting on 20, kept his cool.

Although India have still won only six Tests out of 69 on foreign soil, three have come in the last two years. Last year they beat England by an innings and 46 runs in Leeds and the West Indies by 37 runs in Trinidad.

For Australia it is the first time in almost 10 years they have been 1-0 down in a home Test series since losing to South Africa in the second Sydney Test by five runs in January 1994. Australia have not lost a home series since going down 2-1 to the West Indies in 1992-93.

Gediid   

I like cricket,especially one day matches.I saw pictures of fans celebrating the Indian victory on the web and I was ecstatic.Way to go India.

Any cricket fans in here and who do yall think is better......Tendulkar or Lara

N.O.R.F   

Good to hear yr a fellow Cricketer, Lara and Tendulka,mmmmtricky one, I think they are equal, cant seperate the two, but i think the main man these days is Rahul Dravid,,,he has an abundance of finesse that the other two lack,,,,,,,

Gediid   

If I remember correctly Dravid has always had his moments this week I think happens to be one of those.I prefer Ganguly over him.....More consistent

Who is your all time Fav player.....?

ZOLA   

last time i saw a cricket match was back in Asia....most people in the States dont even know what cricket is.

Gediid u still watch cricket.. :D .

back in the day sachin tendulka was the main man.

A.A

Gediid   

Malaika

When ever I get the chance to see one hell ya. Tendulkar is still the man.Lara is still doing his thing tho not quite like he was when he cracked that 590 something inning back in the day.

Xiddigi

How about Imran Khan...remember him or Jonty Rhodes the acrobatic South African..... :D

Intel   

as long as Lara is playing he will be my favourite player

others

Andrew Symonds

Sachin Tendulkar

Makhaya Ntini

N.O.R.F   

How can i 4get Imran Khan and Wasim Akram??? damn my memory is slowin up,,,,, :rolleyes:

Relaxing on a summers sunday afternoon watching good cricket on the telly sipping ice cold fruit juice,,,,,,, :D

Intel   

l1012568.jpg

Saturday January 3, 08:14 AM

Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar looks skywards after scoring a double century during play on the second day of the fourth cricket test against Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground Saturday, Jan. 3, 2004. Tendulkar was 220 not out at the close of play with India 650 for the loss of five wickets.

Tendulkar puts India in command

N.O.R.F   

Hey Rocko, looks like the aussies grip on sport is slipping, with the Rugby and Cricket any way. 650 for 5???? they are toying with them,,,,go India!!!!!

Harry Kewell is still top tho :D

Intel   

Originally posted by Northerner:

Hey Rocko, looks like the aussies grip on sport is slipping, with the Rugby and Cricket

ma'arkin oo ninyahow ....whats going on wallbash.gif

Well It is good to see da Indians taming da Aussies....I did like watching cricket in particular one day Internationals. Games between India and Pakistan are my fav to watch. I like to watch da games between da Assies n West Indies.

Xidigi Woqoyiga....I gotta agree Rahul is da main player now, but somehow he is not given da credit, he deserves....But I still think this man (below) is da best cricketer.

041788.jpg

045181.jpg