Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Telethon raises Dh315m

Blessed   

Telethon raises Dh315m

Rasha Elass and Matt Kwong

Last Updated: January 10. 2009 12:28PM UAE / January 10. 2009 8:28AM GMT ABU DHABI // A nationwide telethon broadcast on three major networks, lasting seven hours and 45 minutes, yesterday raised more than Dh315 million to aid Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

Intercut with video showing casualties in the occupied territory, notable UAE figures and TV personalities appealed for donations to aid the Gazans, who are running out of food and drinking water.

“There are sins that are unforgivable, like when you see a man drowning and you’re able to help but you don’t help,” said the Islamic scholar Dr Ahmad al Qubaisi.

“This is what we’re facing today. The greatest form of jihad is to give charity.

“On a day like this one … a single dirham goes a long way.”

Organisers said the fund-raising campaign would continue until the first week of February.

In a fatwa, the prominent Islamic scholar Dr Ahmad al Qubaisi said: "You can donate anything to this campaign and deduct it from your zakat.

“It can be a bed frame that costs Dh1,000, and you can deduct that amount from the zakat due onto you for this year." Zakat is an annual charity tax that Muslims must pay as a percentage of their net worth.

Ali al Kaabi, the chairman of the UAE Red Crescent Authority, spoke about tales of warmth and generosity from Emiratis. “We were in a tent the other day,” he said, “and there was a little girl with a piggy bank that she donated. The organiser said, ‘OK, let’s have an auction to sell this piggy bank’, and he managed to raise Dh21,000 for it.”

Fifty lorries carrying a total of 300 tons of aid bought in Egypt including food, 30,000 blankets, winter clothing and other necessities arrived in Arish on the Egyptian border with Gaza. Some made it into Gaza by last night. The aid was provided by the UAE embassy in Cairo on the orders Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed, Deputy Prime Minister and chairman of the Red Crescent Authority.

The Relief of the Palestinian People campaign was broadcast on Abu Dhabi TV, Sharjah TV and Sama Dubai TV channels, in collaboration with the Red Crescent and the International Red Cross.

The Red Crescent opened 80 telephone lines from 2pm to 9:45 pm for donations.

Within the first hour, the telethon had already raised Dh12 million. By 4pm, the amount was Dh53 million, boosting the Red Crescent’s total donations to Dh93 million.

The Dh315m ($US85.8m) in contributions announced did not include separate collections in shopping malls and other stations. At Marina Mall, for example, more than Dh6 million was said to have been collected.

A 13-year-old boy named Ahmed al Shamsi contributed Dh30,000 and there were several anonymous donations in the thousands of dirhams, as well as at least two anonymous Dh1 million contributions.

Other notable donors included Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak, the chairwoman of the UAE Family Development Foundation (Dh5 million); Sheikh Hazza bin Zayed (Dh3 million); Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed, the Deputy Prime Minister (Dh10 million); and Abdul Aziz al Ghurair, the Speaker of the Federal National Council (Dh15 million).

The rulers of Abu Dhabi and Dubai pledged to rebuild 1,200 homes in Gaza, while Sheikh Saif bin Zayed, the Minister of the Interior, pledged to rebuild 100 houses. The NMC Hospital gave Dh1.4 million of medical equipment.

Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed, Minister of Presidential Affairs, pledged to build an extension to al Shafaa Hospital in Gaza. The Palestinian ambassador to the UAE, Dr Khairi al Oridi, said: “The UAE is constantly at the helm of supporting Palestinians as it provides aid when the Palestinian people need it.”

The Western Region donated Dh150,000 and 110 grams of gold.

Shukran al Murtaji, a Palestinian artist, said: “I have family there and we’re hearing they’ve run out of coffins.”

Another guest on the show, the Lebanese singer Huda Haddad, said she could relate to the plight of the people in Gaza because she had been through a similar experience in Lebanon.

“I call on the Arab world to stand together, hand-in-hand, and I thank the UAE for its leading efforts,” she said.

Donations could be received at the branches of the RCA and also through SMS.

Mr al Kaabi reminded viewers that donations need not necessarily be in cash.

“We’ve managed to get ambulance cars and… other medical equipment,” he said.

“We had one man who said, ‘I have no cash, but can I donate my jacket’?”

The UN Relief and Works Agency has reported that most of Gaza is without electricity and sewage is mounting due to the lack of power for pumps.

In a taped interview, the head of the Gaza emergency services, Muawiyah Hassanein, said: “Gaza is dying. We’re under a death sentence.”

An ambulance driver told Abu Dhabi TV: “We avoid the areas that have heavy shelling, but even when we go to the more quiet areas we still feel targeted with shelling. That’s not right.”

relass@thenational.ae

Haneefah   

Masha Allah, that's amazing. May Allah reward those who've contributed.

We have a fundraiser dinner tonight - it's times likes these I hate being a poor student. I wish I could give so much more :(

Blessed   

I feel you hon, but don’t forget the charity of the poor is highly rewarded to give when it hurts, that’s true charity. Illahayoow qacmaha noo fur.

I have to give it to the Emaratis for their generosity; it never ceases to astound me. Masha Allah, Illahay khayr iyo danbi dhaaf ha uga dhigo.

There were also demos right across the country yesterday. Video: A day for Gaza UAE

Chimera   

Well done Emiratis.

*Blessed* are you aware of the fact that the Emirati elite have spend that amount of money on silly stuff like English football clubs or the Chrysler building? etc

I really hope the Palestinians get their own Rafik Hariri(sole reason why after decades of war Lebanon remains a shining pearl in the Middle East and the region's banking capital)

Blessed   

Yes, I am aware bro, but the ‘silly football club’ and Chrysler building spends are investments and not throw away money.

Anyway, the participants of this Telethon were not just the elites but residents from all backgrounds (and not limited to natives of the land either).

*I hope the Palestinians get to rule their own land in peace (and dignity), first. I’m sure they’ll do well after their primary human needs are met.