Sign in to follow this  
Som@li

Dubai skyscraper world's tallest

Som@li   

dubaitower_narrowweb__300x509,0.jpg

An unfinished skyscraper in the Persian Gulf state of Dubai has become the world's tallest building, its developers say.

Emaar Properties said the 512m (1,680ft) Burj Dubai is now taller than Taiwan's 508m (1,667ft) Taipei 101.

It is thought Burj Dubai will eventually be 693m (2,275ft) tall.

Height records are contentious, with dispute over what defines a "building" and what is being measured - height to the top floor or the tower's antenna.

When finished the building is expected to meet the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat's four criteria - the height of the structural top, highest occupied floor, the roof's top, and the spire's highest point - to become the world's tallest structure.

"Burj Dubai has now reached 141 storeys, more storeys than any other building in the world," the company said in a statement.

There is speculation that, spire included, the final height could be more than 800m, but Emaar is keeping structural details secret.

Source--BBC

Som@li   

Dubai building reaches 1,680 feet

12.10, Sun Jul 22 2007

A tower being built in the United Arab Emirates has become the tallest building in the world.

Developers of the Burj Dubai building say it has reached 1,680 feet, overtaking the Taipei 101 building in Taipei by 12 feet.

Emaar Properties announced: "Burj Dubai has now reached 141 storeys, more storeys than any other building in the world."

Burj Dubai is set to be the world's tallest building according to all four criteria listed by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, which measures buildings to the structural top, the highest occupied floor, the top of the roof and the tip of the spire or flag pole.

The tower will be the centrepiece of a £10 billion development that will include residential, commercial and retail property.

Dubai has built a series of huge projects in recent years, including three palm-shaped islands off and a cluster of man-made islands shaped like a map of the world.

ITV

Skyscapers are awesome. But I'm impatient. It'd take ages to get to the highest floor. Unless they had a special lift for me that would go super-duper fast, I doubt I'd ever want a penthouse. Leaving aside the fact that I could never afford to buy one - that's beside the point.

I think peacenow will enter this thread soon and say this building is the work of the devil and that no somali should ever enter it unless you are an arab slave.

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

I think peacenow will enter this thread soon and say this building is the work of the devil and that no somali should ever enter it unless you are an arab slave.

lol