Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Maqaayadaha Soomaaliyeed ee Qurbaha

Saak, Xamdi yaa gaaro. It is a franchise, mar dhow Yurub ayeeba ka furan rabaan. They also own Salaama, a nice, cushy cafe in Toronto nowadays that is busiest. Maqaayadaha Toronto tartan weyn ayee ku jiraan, oo waala wada dhalaaliye. I have to find Xamdi's restaurant's picture that is in a good quality.

1000.jpg

Xamdi.

Dabshid, tan Qurux iyo Qaboob in Dubeey ayaa tagtay ma'ahoo? Waa iska garan karaayee.

Aaliya, waxaa maqlay Salaama Hut kama baxdid run miyaa? :D

Ninac, wax badan u dhaxeysay hee markaa tageysa iyo markaa tagaaye. Koley maqaayadaas caan ee ka tahay Washington, and they serve bahashii xumeyd.

Somalina   

Aniga Blue Ocean(I think in la dhaho) ayaan ka heley in London 4 sanno ka hor markaan tagey, the chef was kiyuut and professional. Who cares about cuntada horta, lol...

I had a grilled salmon i think and it was yummy, but I was more impressed with the personal attention the chef blessed us with. smile.gif

MMA, I know and that was the main reason aan uga soo baxney durbadiiba. I think Soomali ayaa leh laakiin clientele-ka dhan waa Abyssinians. Even the manager Somali ma ahayn. Indhahooda xun xun ayey nagu soo fiiriyeen, anigana markaan wejigooda arkey ayaa febaro igu dhacay. :D

You have been to Ocean, too. Ee aniga maa i daba socotaa hee, kuuseey? :D

Yep, in 2003 tagay Ocean restaurant. Actually, guriga walaasheey aan joogay dhabarkiisa ku yaalay oo dhowr jeer aan tagay, marna Reer SOL igu casuumay. Waa tagi lahaa this year mar aan joogay, but waala xiray aan maqlay.

Yes, they serve wonderful cunto laakiin meesha wada cariiri ayee ahayd, siiba basementahooda.

Somalina   

lol@kuusey, I'm 5'8 Macallin Aqiyaar see camal. Ardeygana waa inuu macallinka ku daydaa nooh! :D

Aqiyaar have you ever been to Studio 99 in dt Tdot? across the CTV building? hadda ma ogi iney weli jirto oo Soomali leeyihiin laakiin they used to have the best california wraps and tuna sandwiches. Lunch time, saf dheer ayaa jirey, and all the customers were non Somalis. A well run establishment ayuu ahaa.

Wax non-Soomaali ah oo Soomaalida ka daba dhacdo ifka u necbahahayba. That '99' joint sounds familiar, laakiin no, waligey ma tagin. Wax aan Soomaali ahayn ani maba dhaafi oo meel kale ma aadi, it is my dabeecad.

Hadda kahor ayaa mid Hindi Muslim ah isla shaqeyneynay ayuu wuxuu na galiye Vietnamese restaurant, asagoo amaanaayo their soup. I really didn't want to be there, let alone tasting their soup. Laakiin amaantiisa uu iga bad badiye, and I still declined. He insisted, finally haye iska iri. Laba qaato ka kabaday and that was it.

And at 'kuuseey,' kuuseey waayadaan waala isku amaanaa, see camal. Same like 'shortie' waaye nooh, casriga la qabso. :D

Som@li   

Haa MMA, Qurux iyo Qaboob baan dhowr jeer baan ka cunteeyey,Xoogaa busy bay ahayd, dhowr kalena isla agagaarkaas waa ku yaaliin.

Buuxo   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Best visual restaurant I had seen waa maqaayada Idman in London, Ingiriiska.

re_20091214_0296-w1024-h790.jpg

re_20091214_0334_master_hdr-w1024-h790.j

re_20091214_0302-w1024-h790.jpg

re_20091214_0338_master_hdr-w1024-h790.j

I hope its cunto as appealing as its interior design.

It looks like someone's house.Nice furniture but doesn't have maqayad appeal.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Best visual restaurant I had seen waa maqaayada Idman in London, Ingiriiska.

re_20091214_0296-w1024-h790.jpg

re_20091214_0334_master_hdr-w1024-h790.j

re_20091214_0302-w1024-h790.jpg

re_20091214_0338_master_hdr-w1024-h790.j

I hope its cunto as appealing as its interior design.

Oehhhhhhh that is just sexy.

Chimera   

Originally posted by The Zack:

Dabshid, I once went to this restaurant in Nashville and we had to walk out

War magacaacka Maqaayada Soomaali ha jibiniin sxb. Fiiri Reer Shiinaha iyo cuuntadooda badda ka iimaatay, malayka tobban iil uu heesankara lakiin wey iska amuustan nonetheless.

Cuun waxii la ku sameeyay warya!

Aaliyyah   

^Adam conversing in somali, thats a first. I call for a celeberation ;)

mashallah somaligaaga caadi ma aha..

and oo my god that restaurant in london is so fancy. Would love to check it out one day.

salaam

Chimera   

Safari Express, Minnesota - USA

interiorpic2.jpg

Safari Express success

The proprietors of Safari, the Midwest’s most adventurous African restaurant, have opened a spin-off in the Midtown Global Market. Safari Express offers fast food based on the innovative menu of the original Eat Street location, but with its own signature style.

The new restaurant is a buffet serving much of the eclectic menu popularized by Sad-e Hashi when he opened the original Safari on Nicollet and 15th Street in 2000. Safari quickly gained notice by adding a gourmet touch to East African dishes.

Safari Express is the brainchild of younger brother Jamal Hashi, who has worked alongside Sad-e the past several years.

“I got the idea in 2004 on a visit to Europe,” said Jamal. “I was in Stockholm, Sweden, and there was this amazing international bazaar. I thought Safari would really fit a mix like that, and when Midtown Exchange opened, I knew I had to get in there.”

And get in there the Hashis did, with considerable help from the African Development Center. ADC provided training, extensive technical assistance and financing over the past two years to help launch Safari Express, its fifth client business to open inside the Midtown Global Market.

That opening came in mid-September of 2006, after much anticipation. Jamal acknowledges that he had hoped to open in June, catching the wave of the Midtown Global Market’s grand opening. However, the financing and construction came together slower than anticipated.

“Challenges like that are what teach you,” Jamal said. “You’ve got to expect the unexpected. Adapt.”

He said traffic was brisk during Safari Express’ first week. At one recent dinner hour, the restaurant had a steady stream of customers, Jamal’s outgoing personality drawing people in, and the food — including a Safari Express signature dish called “green chokula” — bringing them back.

600X350.JPG

Mr. Jamal Hashi is serving one of his clients

“It’s different, it’s new,” Jamal says of people’s interest in Safari Express. “I think when you open a restaurant you need to ask yourself, ‘Why should people eat at here?’ For Safari Express, it’s the uniqueness. For most people, we’re exotic because we’re serving African fare, but even then we have a twist because we have our own taste that adds new flavor to traditional recipes.”

Indeed, with its fusion of ethnic dishes and a contemporary style, Safari Express has the catchy menu and brand awareness that has launched other immigrant-owned start-ups on Lake Street into local chains. Two such expanding brands, Manny’s Tortas and La Loma Tamales, are Jamal’s neighbors in the Midtown Global Market. Jamal says proximity to other growth-oriented entrepreneurs is one of the perks of being part of the market.

“It’s great meeting these guys and hearing their stories,” he said. “They’ve walked in my shoes, and I take inspiration from what they’ve done.”

Jamal said Safari Express has five employees on its busiest shift. He himself is a constant presence, working from 7 am to 9 pm every day, a schedule made a bit easier because he lives upstairs in an apartment at the Midtown Exchange.

http://www.adcminnesota.org/page/success-stories/safari-express