Sign in to follow this  
Sayyid

Public Awareness Poll: Hygiene

Sayyid   

This is a poll in which I'm trying to find out the level of hygiene amongst the nomads in here. There are a set of questions for you to answer and hopefully then we will be able to find out where we stand hygienic-wise!

Thanks in advance for taking part.

STOIC   

Saaxiib, where are you getting with this hygiene surveys?The last time someone asked me about my hygiene state was elementary school.By this point in my life i should understand that hygiene is part of my living condition.I wonder whom you are adressing here or how much do they know or care about this survey.Lets say you get four or five members who responded to your survey, what values and opinions about hygiene that they don't know will you share with them?I think you mentioned in one of your questions that you hate shower(my favorite) how do your views on hating shower help us understand what is keeping you away from the water?

PS This is not Personal, i just hate surveys that are malayacni.

Sayyid   

Sxb, first of all thanks for your reply. Secondly let's get it straight I never said I was hydrophobic or that I hate having showers.

If you would read carefully, you'd understand what I said. There is a major difference in taking a "shower" and a "bath".

"The process of taking a bath itself is unhygienic, its like sitting in a stew of your own dirt."

You see you learned something today, haven't you good Stoic.

I wanted to do a public awareness notice in hygiene a long time ago but I never had the chance.

Did you know that you have to shave your pubic hair and cut the hair on your armpits every 40 days?

"If one left one’s nails too long, they would gather dust and dirt, and if pubic hair is not shaved, the area becomes too smelly. Armpit hair also smells badly if left for long, without being plucked or shaved periodically. As for brushing one’s teeth, this is a very important part of hygiene. The Prophet used to brush his teeth often, several times a day. He used a miswak, which is a tooth stick, similar to a toothbrush. Today, we can use a toothbrush and toothpaste."

How often should one attend to each of these? We have a report that Abdullah ibn Umar, who always followed the Prophet’s guidance wherever possible, used to clip his nails once a fortnight, and to shave his pubic hair once a month.

The same applies to plucking armpit hair. As for trimming one’s moustache, it should be done as necessary so as to ensure that it does not grow long. The Prophet brushed his teeth more than once every day."

"Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Five things are included in the fitra: trimming the moustache, cutting the nails, shaving the public hair, plucking the armpits, and using the siwak (arak stick for cleaning the teeth)."

The time for cutting the nails and hair:

"Nafi' reported that Ibn 'Umar used to trim his nails every fifteen days and shave his pubic hair every month."

How come then that I see numerous people who are muslims that have got long nails?

Islam is a lifestyle and a way of life and it dictates us certain things that we need to do in order to be hygienic.

How many of us know how to take a right "shower" after being in contact with nijaasa?

Is there a routine muslims have to follow when they're taking a shower?

There are many questions to anwser and i will try my upmost best to answer some of this questions.

Nephissa   

I agree! A bath is like sitting in your own filth, but one can always take a shower first, then take a bath to relax.

"If one left one’s nails too long, they would gather dust and dirt,

Some Pharaxs like having nice long nails to pick them nasty deep lodged boogers. L00L. Careful don't dig too deep and hit Your brain guys.

Xoogsade   

I do take a shower every time I wake up from sleep even if I slept for few hours. I never went out without a shower winter or not. Once a day for sure without a miss.

Btw, Mr.Qutb, the only shower that has certain rituals performed for it is the one done after copulating with your significant other or after you had a dream about some nice beauty(usually missing the bottom half on my case). Otherwise, I thought a shower was just a shower which meant getting water to all parts of your body and consequently clean them. Am I right?

Yea, I think this topic is relevant as many of us, particularly youngesters(guys), are not keeping body cleanliness a priority. I noticed many somali guys at school or at work who take a piss and do nothing afterwards except zip up and walk out of the door just like their nonmuslim friends. Common cause for such behaviour could be lack of prayer may be as prayer would have required them to clean themselves on a regular basis.

Bishaaro.

How are you funny girl? ;) Did you have to mention the boogers?

Baluug   

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

Some Pharaxs like having nice long nails to pick them nasty deep lodged boogers. L00L. Careful don't dig too deep and hit Your brain guys.

LOOOOOOL You caught me!! That's the soft thing that i feel when I dig deep....No wonder I kick something when i pick my nose, it's just a natural reflex......

I can tell you now, your result will be flawed.

how about the ones who shower everyday?

And i thought moisturising your hands was grooming and has nothing to do with hygene!

STOIC   

If you happen to read my words closely too, you will have been able to discern these words “I think you mentioned in one of your questions that you hate shower (my favorite) how do your views on hating shower help us understand what is keeping you away from the water†.I went back and read your survey questions, you are right that you mentioned you hate bath and not shower! I ardently thank you, for imparting the wisdom of telling the difference between a shower and a bath on me :eek: . Even now as i read your words my elementary teacher full -tone voice about hygiene swells in my ears. It reflect that you are pursuing the same course with these adults,but i think it is ineffectual since they are past that stage.

Sayyid   

What elemtary school are you talking about mate (if i can call you that). I don't know where you attended "elemtary school" but I'm sure that my teachers never told me about "shaving ones pubic hair", I guess I was too young.

How can they taught you about cutting the hair under your armpits when you even did have hair on your armpits supposedly you were the same age as the rest of the guys who went to elemtary school with you.

I only remember that when I was at elemtary school that I was examined by a couple of nurses whereas two boys had to enter a room whereas the rest waited at the corridor to get some vaccinations and other medical examinations like I had to put down my trousers and underwear whereas a "nurse" would check that everything is "alright" with me, I vivdly remember her touching and examing me but I never had "hygiene classes" except at later date in highschool where they told us about puberty, changes to the body, the need for hygiene etc.

But even that never told us about proper hygiene. They never mentioned a hadith or how to take "wudu" and how to take a shower in the islamic way.

Xoogsade you]re right. You only have to follow the steps after having intercourse or a "wet dream". But how many of the girls in here know how to clean and wash themselves after their xayd (menstrual cycle) has finished e.g. you don't start with washing your feet in the first place because you have to follow the right way of having/taking a "ghusl".

On the other hand taking a shower everyday isn't good for you unless you're a builder ofcourse.

Born Friday (what a beautiful name may I suggest you change it into "Died Friday"), moisturising, using oil on your body and hair is part and parcel of hygiene unless one consider himself to "masculine" and you prefer being sweaty (stinky) and natural.

wat kinda survey is this... :confused:

some ppl shower everyday.. some even twice a day

some shave regularly.. not only once a month or even less.. i couldn't even complete the survey... it needs more options!