Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate and Honey

How to eat nutritious food and stay fit this Ramadan

First and foremost, Ramadan Kareem my people! May Allah accept our fast and prayers and reward us with forgiveness.

Ok my people. I am seeing more and more obese Somali people around and most Somalis see Ramadan as indulging time food wise. This is what our typical diet during Ramadan looks like; fried food(sanbuus and bur), lots of carbs and fats(Malawax, hilib ari, pasta)and sweets like xalwa, custard and sugary drinks :eek:

If you want to stay healthy and meet your body's nutrition needs you should keep close to the following guidlines and yes, you would also need to excercise :D Thats right I said it!

1. Do drink plenty of water throughout the night. Hydrate your body.

2. Do eat at least two servings of fruits(not in cans and no sugar added). Since it is summer, watermelon, cherries and papayas are in season. They are full of antixodants which is also good for your skin and hair ladies!

3. Do eat at least 3 servings of veggetables. You can have a salad with your main dish, add fresh cut veggies to your stew or eat them raw or with hummus.

3. Do drink at least one glass of reduced fat milk for calcium and protein. If you dont like milk, try Greek Yogurt. It is thick and nice like custard and is full of protein.

4. Do NOT eat more than 1 Sanbuus per night period! If you can resist eating that fried thing, DO skip!

5. Do NOT eat more than a single serving of pasta or rice per night. If you are the type who eats pasta as casho and another serving of pasta or bariis and hilib for saxuur, STOP!

6. Do eat oatmeal, brown rice or cornmeal with milk for saxuur. The body digests them slowly(well, except the cornmeal)becasuse of their fiber content.

7. Do NOT eat any fried dessert or anything soaked in sugar such as bur sokor or Malawax.

Now before you order my immediate beheading, you do need to excercise. It doesnt make sense for your body to be starving all day and then take in big portions of heavy food to digest :eek: . Take a short walk right after you eat, do chores around the house or do 30 minutes of cardio.

If you have other guidelines you swear by, DO share please.

Polanyi   

i feel sorry for your husband/future husband icon_razz.gif

I see what you mean. But some of us only eat what we get served. It's either that or no food at all.or toast n/cornflakes.. :D

Great list C&H, ramadhaan Kariim,

8. Eat in small portions, instead of only at afuur and sahor atleast eat 3 times during the night... at the break of fasting(light meal similar to breakfast), after tarawiih similar to a mid afternoon snack and lastly at Sahor.. which is also supposed to be a light meal and should be ate nearing the time of observing the new fast in observance of the Sunnah of the Prophet SAW.

9. Stay active, ramadhaan isnt the time to sleep or slack. Keep active during the day, rest a little and at night indulge yourself with ibadaah. If you cant attend the mosque or pray the extra prayers at home be proactive at home and dont sit glued infront of the tv, sleep or engage in lame activities.Every minute passing is gone and unfortunately with inactivity.. the body is storing the extra nutrients into fat..so Move it , move it!!

Polanyi, are you a cripple? What do you mean you only eat what you're served? Why cant you cook for youself? Waxba qof ha ka sugin, jikada isku tuur, learn how to cook for yourself, it is very very MANLY lemme tell you.

Warrior,

Ramadan Kareem to you too honey.For some reason I cant eat more than twice. I graze on fruits though,LOL! Fruits cunto uma aqaan. Nice tips.

Somalina   

C&H, please Do NOT preach healthy eating during Ramadan to Somalis! :D

I swear by the following:

Fluid

-8 glasses of water with lemon, 2 cups of skim milk, half glass of freshly squeezed grape fruit.

Snacks : appetizers

-Dates, feta cheese, black olives, pickles, raisins, cherry tomatoes, samosa, bajiye, carrots, humus, toasted pita bread. Banana.

Dinner

80% of time i opt for soups (i.e. veggie, chicken, and fish)

The other times is between pasta and rice dishes complemented with lots of veggies.

Dessert

Fruit salad, yogurt with honey and nuts, or blueberries with yogurt and some Cheerios. Sometimes i crave for dark chocolate but that is once in a blue moon.

Suhuur

Oatmeal with honey, glass of soy milk, and an apple or a banana. A cup of tea just before fajr.

Exercise

Running before dinner or taking a long walk (30min max) to lose the calories you accumulated before dinner.

Tips:

-To the people that hate the gym, go for long walks, after taraawix or after dinner and take advantage of the summer weather.

-Eat light, chew longer, and savour the taste of food.

I've more guidelines and tips, and I will be back.

Healthy eating kulahaa.

First day in and had my afur at my friend's home, I only ate as many malawax as I could and four koob shaahs. That was all. Wixii kale meesha yaalayba ma taaban, only one sanbuus I touched as a courtesy. :D

Tuujiye   

^^ Maxaa dhacay? qaras maa kugu kacsaneed?...

Nina, maxaa waaye waxaan oo cunto ah aa soo taxday? dhuunisanidaa cuudkiyee!! dinner iyo snack iyo dessert kulahaa..war waxaas dhan yaa waqti u haayo? Afur oo cun wax kaste oo kujiraan fruits, biyo iyo mushaari ama xulbad kadaba gee... Bax banaanka aad oo kistoo socod samee ama Tim Hortens (me lol) and then eat dinner after taraawiix.. saxuur ugoo! and just drink water or milk... try to eat less everyday if you want to loose weight...

Maanta Taraawiixdii ugu dheereed aan tagay..abidkee ma arkin taraawiix saan u dheer.. shiikh aayad kaste ku raaxeysanaayo ayaa naloo keenay ilaahey kheyr haka siiyee!...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Alla xaasisanidaa honey, why wouldnt I warn them of their ways? Dadka oo dhan baruur iney u dhintaan aa rabtaa, oo adi lee sii dhex yaraatid huh? icon_razz.gif

I like your list specially the fluid part. Soup for dinner? Adaa iga darteye? I need something solid. I am with you on the snacks. I love dates with qaxwo or skim milk. It fills you up. I am bad with suhuur :( . I cant eat that late at night so I eat dinner.

Excercise wise, I started this regimen where I go to the gym right after afur before tarawix four times a week for 45 minutes. I feel so much better after that.

MMA,

iska ilaali sokortaas badan iyo saliida. Waxaan maqlay nimanka ma u roona :D

Ina baqti lagde, adi yaa food patrol kaa dhigay? Maxaa gabadha ugu soo booday. I doubt that she eats all of that at once. It is a list of things she selects from nooh. Xulbadana maxaa waaye Oromo maa noqotay? It is better to graze and eat snacks throughout than two or three big meals. I love sheekhyaasha ku raaxeeysto quraanka but only haday cod leeyihiin hadii kale it feels loooooooooooong!

shiikh aayad kaste ku raaxeysanaayo ayaa naloo keenay ilaahey kheyr haka siiyee!...

:D:D at 'sheekh aayad kaste ku raaxeysanaayo...' Acuudka.

Taraawiixda first few nights waa loo gambiyaa, aad iyo aad u dheeryihiin if you can't handle.

Somalina   

lol@dhex yaraatid. No no, I just know calool weynayaashaas ineysan ka helin healthy eating wax la dhaho, you've already seen the responses you got on this thread. Or it is my OCD when it comes to healthy eating.

I like soups with all kinds of veggies cooked (kale, beets, leeks, pumpkin, yams, potatoes, carrots, spinach, ginger, tomatoes, lentils, chickpeas) from scratch because not only it's nutritional but my stomach can't handle solid foods most of the time.

I've convinced my family to go for soups as well(most of the time so i don't have to cook for myself) and trust me they love it (not as much as me but it is a start I tell you).

I admire how you go to the gym after afur, most people want to lay down and relax (maybe because they're stuffed).

JB and Tman, like C&H said, I don't "eat it all at once".

Most Somalis don't regard healthy eating as a priority, which is kind of sad If you think about it.

Somalina   

First things first yaa JB. What is that you ask?

Well it starts with grocery shopping at the local market shop, then planning what to cook based on what you bought at the market.

To answer your question I eat most of what I've listed every night or every other night.

Ninac, hadda waxaa naga dhaadhacsiin rabtaa inaa cuntid waxaa soo taxday? I thought inaa kaftameysay. Sheekadaas naga yaree hee.

Waxaa meesha kusoo buuxisay afur Soomaaliyeed maba laga cuno.

It is almost mandatory to have malawax, sanbuus, bur, mishaari...-- kuwa dhan aadan meesha ku soo qorin.

Teeda kale if aad cabtid too much biyo or cabitaanka kale before cuntada, ogoow madax xanuun iyo lablabo kuu keenaa.

Originally posted by NinaNC:

First things first yaa JB. What is that you ask?

Well it starts with grocery shopping at the local market shop, then planning what to cook based on what you bought at the market.

To answer your question I eat most of what I've listed every night or every other night.

Inaalillaahi ,,,, :D:D